Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: La Foret de TRL, Crowthorne, Berks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Resort: La Foret de TRL alternatively known as Crowthorne Woods
Domain: Royal County of Berkshire
Author: Bertie Bassett
Date: 11th Jan 2010
Our holiday: Keen Skier/Boarder, did a season in Les Arcs last season. Happy on most pistes on either kit, enjoy off-piste on board, find it challenging on skis. Cheeky couple of hours of runs whilst the world was back at work/school
Basics : From the Transport Research Labs (nr. Bracknell) take the B3430 towards Bracknell, the turn right onto A3095 towards Sandhurst. As the first roundabout pull in on the left-hand side where there is parking for about 15 cars. Access is easy depending on weather conditions, take a shovel or a 4x4 in cases of heavy snowfall. Limited public transport access.
Lift system : The uplift capacity is huge but the problem is the speed - probably slower than any other lift you've ever been on and had a habit of slowing down near the top of the hill. Very good for those with fear of heights however.
The terrain : Plan Bois is a nice easy green running directly back towards the car park ideal for pizza 'n' chips practice, riding switch, one footed or other drills. Marmottes is a narrower steeper red with a few more bumps, but has a nice run out so you can just point and shoot. Other pistes are available within the domain, but not skied due to time constraints.
The snow : 4-6 inches of snow all over, had been bashed in a narrow track about a ski length wide by numerous kid's sledges over the weekend. Still good under ski however and no risk of damage to bases.
Off-piste : Off-piste is a little limited, other than the non-piste bit to the side of the main pistes. The regular off-piste has too many obstacles (trees, roots, bracken etc) to make it usable. Clearly there was a risk of avalanches as the pisties were letting off explosives on a regular basis whilst I was there, but I didn't notice any slides.
The resort : Not a lot of shopping / kit rental or similar at the base station so bring your own gear and lunch but plenty of place for a pee behind a tree.
Food : If you've got packed lunch then anywhere on the slopes is great, otherwise about 300m from the base station is a traditional village inn which serves a wide range of seasonal dishes and some cracking vin chaud.
Accommodation : I was staying privately with family which was great, but in the near future some hotel redevelopment plans could open up the resort to more tourists.
Costs: Travel Cost - £0 (got a lift), Accommodation £0, Lift Pass £0, Kit Rental £0, Lunch £0 - nearly as cheap as the day I had last season where I made a profit wink
Conclusion: Well it would have been rude to have let "the most snow in the uk since 1681" pass by without a trip out on the skis, and having had the opportunity to check the piste conditions and find some great lines the day before courtesy of a reconnaissance mission, thinly disguised as sledging with the nieces, I set off this morning to check that I could still remember how to ski. The snow was great - really in good condition and nicely humanly pisted. The pistes were perhaps a little narrow however and you had to do short radius turns to avoid hitting trees. I did some work on my switch stance and some other outside-in drills, but not the 'cat on a hot tin roof'. The slopes were great but could have been a little steeper - but the main hill is a good 3x the length of Hemel, so it gives you a perfect opportunity to tire the dog out as he runs alongside. There is a wider choice of slopes further afield but as time was pressing we stayed on the ones near the base station. Good basic touring or xc opportunities.

snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blimey two resorts within a snowball's throw of Reading!
Big dump due 2moz!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ahh whats the other one?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
t-humphreys, http://www.19x.co.uk/cgi-bin/snowheads.pl?resort=6 - major prob, one of the cams is down,,,,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it carries on burning up like this then it won't be so scenic next winter...

snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
bertie bassett, actually, I suspect they're clearing the ground for some new pistes and off-piste options that are clearly limited according to the OP. Because the conservationist lobby would probably object to the new proposals, they torched the area deliberately. The new pasture type area will undoubtedly be more Austria than France, but at least the need for significant snow depth to make it skiable will be catered to.

Missed the OP's report first time around (was in Italy, skiing snowHead ), so very enjoyable - nice one Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett, I drove past there last Sunday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy