Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decent goggles for any conditions - advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there.

I am a reasonably experienced skier and could really do with some advice re my goggles - not sure how old they are, but they're Uvex, orange double "supravision" lenses and called "Saphir". They're pretty plastic so I'm not sure if they cost much originally! I have found myself doing a lot of skiing recently in really flat light, and was wondering what the collective opinion on googles for these conditions was... I really don't know much - are the ones I've got decent enough? I like orange lenses but have never tried anything else!

If it would make a big difference I'm willing to spend up to £100 or so - it would also be good to get some that fit my glasses (really weak prescription but means the mountains have a clear edge and I can see the signs!).

So basically what's the wisdom on this? Are any brands particularly renowned? Will it make a cost-effective difference if I fork out for some more?

I'm in Morzine at the moment... and the shops are tempting me!

Many thanks in advance for your replies!

T
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tomopope: I have had problems skiing in flat light. Got some Oakley Stockholm (female version) goggles with hi-yellow lens last year. Tried them out in Val d'Isere in flat light in December and very pleased with them. Not so brilliant in bright sunshine but I found could cope with them as well rather than having to change to other goggles. They werent cheap but such a relief to be able to cope better with the flat lightl. Im sure there are cheaper goggles with the different lens mentioned below.

Had done a lot of research before hand and the view seemed to yellow, orange (Oakley - persimmon) or pink for flat light. I recall that the orange and pink will probably be more practicable in all conditions than the yellow which probably caters more for just flat light.

I think most brands do an over glasses goggle. The brands that I came across were Smith, Bolle, Adidas and Oakley. Had Smith goggles before which were good, didnt steam up but had wrong lens in them for flat light.

A guy on my recent trip to Val mentioned he had goggles from Aldi with yellow lens which were ideal in flat light. Obviously at a fraction of cost of Oakleys etc.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jeanlane, Welcome to snowHead's
I'd agree with that assesment.
In flat light you need something to give some contrast and when light is low ie. clouds or whiteout more transmission is useful.
At the moment my general purpose lens is the pink Bolle Vermillion. Its good in flat and has some protection in bright so I dont change over much.
The Oakley HI yellow is super in very flat / white out. BY super I mean if there is any thing to sww you will see it with these. but not great in bright. It has 82% transmission so lets lots of light through but filters out blue light giving some contrast. Unfortunately Ive scratched mine up a bit so they are no where near as good as they used to be Evil or Very Mad
The Smith I/O seems to be popular with others on here and offers 2 lenses both of which would be very general purpose but each biased towards either bright or flat conditions.

Be aware if you look at the bolle goggles that Vermillion and Vermillioun Gun are very different wrt to transmission the Gun is a mirrored lens with very low % transmission very good in bright conditions but not good in flat.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know much about specific lenses in goggles, but I do know that I own a pair of these http://www.eyewear2gogo.com/goggles/birdz-icebird-goggles-silver-frame-revo-mirrored-lens?&utm_source=googlebase&utm_medium=gb&utm_campaign=gb_feed#googlebase

I also own a pair of cheap B-Square ones with yellow lenses.

I wear both with contacts esp. on days with precipitation/fog/flat light, and have prescription sunnies for blue sky days.

The B-square ones are/should possibly be better on flat light days, but I used the Birdz ones last year a great deal and I was amazed at the difference in what I can only describe as the sheer 'clarity' of the Birdz lenses. They just seemed easier to look through and were very good as general all round goggles and were even OK in flat light. I am now that impressed that I would go as far as to recommend them as inexpensive goggles to try!

The only thing I've never been entirely certain of though are the mirrored lenses, and how they are viewed from a 'geek/fashion' persepctive in the ski world, does anyone know?. They do though seem to be excellent lenses.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RPF, I'm with you on the Bollé vermillion lens for flat light. I've got a pair of sunglasses with that lens, and they are better than my goggles on occasions. My current Smith goggles are not good in flat light.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The Smith I/O seems to be popular with others on here and offers 2 lenses both of which would be very general purpose but each biased towards either bright or flat conditions.

This. They are above your budget I think though.

I would look for Smith or Oakley models that fit in your budget and come with an 'all purpose' lens. (45ish VLT with a good color should be fine all round imo)
Both have very informative websites.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Try looking for a pair of smiths. The more expensive ones tend with tinted lenses tend to also come with an additional free low light lens. I've a pair of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=45639 with the platinum mirror & a yellow lens, I have yellow lens in them at the moment. I've also got a pair of the prodigy's with the platinum lens. Can't fault either of them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok - thanks for the advice - I didn't clock that yellow/orange would be better for low light. As I wear sunglasses in the sun anyway, I might as well get a decent pair for low light - is it just a classic case of "you get what you pay for"?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've had 3 different models of Smith goggle in the last 10 years. Never had a problem with them, excellent build quality, fit, and visiability in all conditions. They do an Over the Glasses model (http://www.snowandrock.com/smith-knowledge-otg-goggle/goggles/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/5946). Rule is the same with everything else in skiing (and life in general); buy the best you can afford.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wear the Bolle OTG with Vermillion lens (the photchromic one) over my Transitions glasses. Great combo and really good in flat light
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tomopope, Are contact lenses a possibility.. life changer for me, no more varifocals at £300+ a shot...? Then you can wear what you want. There are a few threads on snowheads about contacts...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've found that the pink/rose tints are best for flat light and that they offer a bit more protection when it gets brighter. My other half kept nicking my Smith Fuse goggles in flat light in preference to his Oakley Wisdom High Intensity yellow. The oakley lenses are incredibly clear and the tint gives good bright light performance but I think the rose/pink gives a little more definition.
Hope this helps Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tomopope wrote:
Ok - thanks for the advice - I didn't clock that yellow/orange would be better for low light. As I wear sunglasses in the sun anyway, I might as well get a decent pair for low light - is it just a classic case of "you get what you pay for"?

I find I keep my goggles for flat light and the use sunnies for better weather - hence I have a flat-light optimised lens. Other people choose to have all-round goggles but I can't get on with them cos I'm a sweaty git...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryfon wrote:
I've found that the pink/rose tints are best for flat light and that they offer a bit more protection when it gets brighter. My other half kept nicking my Smith Fuse goggles in flat light in preference to his Oakley Wisdom High Intensity yellow. The oakley lenses are incredibly clear and the tint gives good bright light performance but I think the rose/pink gives a little more definition.
Hope this helps Very Happy

I use Oakley sunnies with 'Gold Iridium' lens's in good conditions and Yellow goggles in [bad] flat light. TBH though the goggles aren't much better than the Oakleys.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
None of which helps when your eyes are getting older and don't see so well to start with

Still want to find the "ideal" flat light goggles just to give me a fighting chance, I bought some Oakley's the other day which improved things marginally but still need more Sad
snow report
allanm wrote:
tomopope, Are contact lenses a possibility.. life changer for me, no more varifocals at £300+ a shot...? Then you can wear what you want. There are a few threads on snowheads about contacts...

Yeah, I really ought to get them - I ran out of time before I came out here but it's something to do. It's a pathetically weak prescription but makes all the difference... esp in low light!

Thanks for all your advice guys... the situation is clearer even if the current goggles aren't. I'll stick to yellow tints as that's what I'm used to, but it seems the Bolle and Smiths come highly recommended, so I'll go have a look at those.
snow report
Try pink/vermillion rather than yellow, I found it much better for picking out terrain and snow changes
snow report
tomopope, Once I got a contact lense prescription I was overjoyed to find that you can order lenses on-line. Thus picking the cheapest and saving trips into town to pick them them up.
snow conditions
I would re-iterate madmole's suggestion.

I think pink/rose/vermillion is better than yellow tints in flat light.

So. it's not just me then! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I have just got a pair of oakley crowbar with Hi persimmon lens, I looked around at different reviews and they seemed to be getting the thumbs up. I'm in Les Arc from the 16th hopefully I won't need them and can just use my sunnies.
Has anyone any experience of the Hi persimmon len?
snow report
gryfon wrote:
I would re-iterate madmole's suggestion.

I think pink/rose/vermillion is better than yellow tints in flat light.

So. it's not just me then! Toofy Grin

Going to agree on this as well. I feel both tints are about the same in flat light, but yellow blinds me if the sun gets through for a second, and it makes my eyes a bit tired in general.
ski holidays
gryfon wrote:
I've found that the pink/rose tints are best for flat light and that they offer a bit more protection when it gets brighter

I agree.

Ive always found the rose tint works well in all light conditions.

As for a brand it all depends on the goggles fit to face and helmet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy