Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Subtle Snowboards

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone ever ridden (or even seen) a Subtle snowboard?

I introduced a friend (who hails from a tropical island no less) to snowboarding last winter. He took to it fast (was following me slowly but surely round the red runs by the end of the day) and he is now determined to get stuck in with a vengeance this winter.

He is considering buying a second-hand Subtle board with the following description:
Code:
No damage or warping. Minimal wear.
Metal edge, top deck/laminate, screw fittings in very good condition.
Black, by "Subtle Snowboards USA." Bindings not included.

Something about the ad makes me think it's not being sold by a boarder (does anyone measure boards in ft, even in the US/UK?) but maybe that's no bad thing.

I have already given him my 2¢ which is that boots is the place to start when you're buying your own equipment. Any thoughts at all on whether such a board (at a knockdown price equivalent to around 20 quid) is likely to bring joy or suffering?

Please don't recommend buying something fancy instead as the budding boarder is a mature student who also works hard to support himself so he isn't rolling in spare cash.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shallimus, is he also based in north america? pm me if he's based in the london area as i may be able to help out with a board.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you sherlock Very Happy Unfortunately he isn't well placed to take advantage of potential UK-based kindness as he lives in Toronto like me (unless you mean London, Ontario?)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shallimus, haha no, i meant the uk.

also, i don't know the subtle snowboards brand, so i can't help there either. Sad good luck to him though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're not expecting the worlds finest board, for £20 you probably can't go too far wrong assuming the things not a pile of matchwood already. Not a brand i've encountered either, quick Google shows nothing but holding sites and a few 2 line company profiles (plus this thread in 2nd place WOO!) so suspect they've gone belly-up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suppose you're right, Richard_Sideways. My initial googling turned up much the same (without this thread of course). A pro rider called Brian Thien was apparently sponsored by Subtle back in 2008, and he had a Sims pro model back in 2000 so you have to give him some credit I reckon.

I guess unless someone with inside knowledge happens along, there's not much more to find out about Subtle. I'd like to know where it was made and if it was extruded or sintered. I suppose just because they're not well-known it doesn't necessarily follow that they're no good. Also as you said for that price (and for learning) you probably can't go far wrong if it's in decent shape. I reckon 5' makes it roughly a 153, which is about the right size for the hopeful owner IMO. I've told him I'll go to look at it with him to make sure it's not obviously destroyed, and I'll post back whatever I can discern about the board on the off chance anyone gives a snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm... found this in an article dated 2005 about the 3 most influential people in snowboarding...

At #3 Mark Hibdon...started Subtle Snowboards, now is the #1 graphic guy for Sims and Sapient.

Jason Bump also has a cross over between Subtle and Sims back in the 90's. Perhaps Subtle was aquired at some time by Sims?

Anyhoo, enough with the forensic history lesson - Hibdon is on facebook so you could always ask him if the board was any good! Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Link please (unless it's hardcopy only)! That sounds interesting.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://www.snowrev.com/Features/All/Jason_Bump_Interview
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-hibdon/5/9a6/261
http://www.facebook.com/people/Mark-Hibdon/689023075#!/profile.php?id=689023075
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Smile

Will read when I can - very busy at work right now Sad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went to get the board last night. I should have grabbed a photo of it, but as the seller was late getting home I was in a hurry and headed home soon afterwards.

As I guessed, it is a 153. Binding screw holes look to be in good condition, and beyond standard wear and tear I couldn't see anything wrong with it - nothing that a good bit of edge maintenance and clean/wax won't fix.

It's quite a stiff board, so it might not be very forgiving at first, but hopefully he will be able to grow his skill level into the board. It looks like a fairly standard all-mountain board shape. The base is sintered.

When the first Ontario resorts open in 6 weeks or so I'll report back with how the $30 board works out on the slope, and post a photo.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy