Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm Sorry We've Tried But We Just Don't Get it?

Poster: A snowHead
Try Mono skiing Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

i think if you get a chance to ride powder once it all "clicks", you'll be singing a v different tune. (though i don't now how fat skis compare?)

But once it all clicks on skis you sing a very different tune as well.... Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister, Been a while since I started this thread and as Winter approaches our new skis look great, I've been to spyderjon to learn to service them (and our boards Skullie ). My attitude still hasn't changed, we will bring our boards out and hopefully will have another crack but all I have t think about is the multiple face plants I did last year to look at my skis with even greater delight.

However I am so glad I learnt and lifes to short sometimes not to try new things.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, where's you initial thread? that would make interesting reading for the OP too. I know just how you feel. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, I've run 4 marathons (2 @ 3 hour times), ran long, long brutal distances training for them but nothing has ever left me so physically forked as 3 x days of private snowbaord lessons at altitude (2,100m) in Tignes. Genuinely by morning 3 mrsfatcontroller could not get out of the bedroom without great help, drugs and a warm bath. The pain memories wear thin (the face plants I can't forget) and it was fun just so, so frigging painful Laughing Laughing

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=57725
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, my buff, hockey-playing, early-morning-rowing, skinny and muscular niece was almost crying with pain on the sofa bed in our apartment, some years ago, with me running round with hot water bottles and ibuprofen. She recently ran a half marathon after not running much for a while (she's a 3rd year medical student now, and very busy) and her mother was worried about her lack of decent running shoes. She lost a toenail "It's only a toenail mother, don't flap". She's no wimp, but she found boarding painful too. But she went at it - private lesson first thing, then boarding till the lifts stopped and the light disappeared. I actually went back up the hill with a torch, worried about her, in very poor vis, at 5 pm. I heard a string of foul oaths and found her full length, which scarcely enough energy to get up again. I knew where we were and carried her board down the last couple of hundred yards. When she woke up next morning she could hardly move.

since then she's spent a season working as a pizza waitress and boarding in New Zealand so she's probably pretty good. But she still gets mad that her young brother, a brilliant skateboarder and a very strong guy, was better on a board after two weeks than she was after an entire season.

I just do a little bit. Now and then, when conditions are perfect. I don't have a death wish.

whoever said up there that you really have to WANT to do it is exactly right.

I love watching the young kids, especially girls, getting to grips with snowboarding - I admire them greatly.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
...especially girls, getting to grips with snowboarding...
Puzzled
you know women are generally better at snowboarding than blokes cos of our lower centres of gravity (or something) right? men are certainly more ballsy, but supposedly we have better technique. not my words, been told it by more than one instructor.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm probably the least fit i've been in 5 years at the moment, and have a weeks boarding in Courchevel planned for mid december - first real trip away since Samoens early 2009. I predict i will resemble a cross between John Wayne and a smashed badger by mid week. Can't wait... Toofy Grin

sherlock235, men WOULD be more ballsy, by the count of 2 by my reckoning wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sherlock235, yes, but the falling over stage is painful and many girls will do nothing to upset their hair and makeup - let alone their equilibrium and have low tolerance of physical discomfort. Just go to any skate park and see how many girls there are. Girls participation rate in many sports is pitiful; hence my enjoyment of watching them climb up the learning curve.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, From our learning experience the 3 most important things you will need when learning are

Padding

Padding

and More padding Skullie Skullie
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thefatcontroller, true, personal air bags would help while learning. But once your past that you'll want to trade that padding for stamina, and lots of it - for those who are not in the know, try this. Stand up feet shoulder width apart, bend ze knees in a nice flex, now raise yourself up onto the balls of your feet and hold it... For about half an hour.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Richard_Sideways, you can use your heels to turn as well you know!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quite right sherlock235; one the half hour is up, go lean flat to a wall and lower yourself until your thighs are at right angles in the 'little-h' or 'French toilet' position. again hold for half an hour.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, so this is what you spend your days doing? Laughing

my practice takes place trying to stay upright whilst riding on the buses, trains and tubes around london without strap-hanging. it takes a while to learn initially, but it's great practise. except when it doesn't work and you look like a t1t cos you fall into some poor unfortunate... Embarassed

oh and pam w, most of the women i ride with couldn't give a stuff about their hair and nails, and don't wear make-up when they ride. but then, i don't ride with teenagers or girly-girls (urgh!), so that may be the difference Very Happy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sherlock235, but the women you ride with are a small minority (sadly). It's great to see young girls now - 8 -10 sort of age, getting to grips with it, because hopefully they'll keep going. But I'd say that females are a smaller proportion of the snowboarding population than they are of the ski population. and numbers of "older women" riding (by which I mean over 50) are vanishingly small. Be more in future, when the present generation gets old. If there's any snow left. Sad

I was in Les Deux Alpes for the skiing a couple of years ago, and caught the tail end of the Mondiale of MTB. Scarcely a girl to be seen. And the "World" mountain boarding was held in Les Saisies last year. We went to watch. there was only one competitor in the women's - if i'd got hold of a board, taken an hour to do the course and fallen off 100 times I'd have been runner up!
latest report
i tend to walk most evenings with the O/H - only about a mile or so. fortunately it's a very quiet stroll so i tend to drop down about 8 to 12 inches and walk with bent knees. i look a bit like basil faulty on a bad day, but at least it makes me glad of the evenings closing in. i was wondering whether to add a backpack and some weights this year - maybe 20-30kg? anyone tried that sort of thing?
snow report
rogg, walking thusly?
http://youtube.com/v/a3rdOUNr8XE - I'd laugh, but they're all probably harder than a coffin nail.

sherlock235, I used to do the same when I was a regular on the Northern line, and i spend my days sitting on a ergo chair while eating biscuits and pretending to work while on SH's Very Happy
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, actually yes - but maybe a bit lower. do for about a mile and feel your thighs pump!!

i thought you might be slinging up
this one
snow report
rogg, Walking in a weighted vest about 6-10%of your body weight can work wonders on basic fitness and beergut(mine, not yours).

I've always taken the view that I ski well enough to enjoy myself in any conditions and, with only a limited amount of holiday time and funds each year, I don't see the point in learning a new sport from scratch. If I win the lottery and can spend a whole season on snow I would definitely learn to snowboard to give myself the opportunity to maximise the fun I can have. If anyone asks me whether they should go on a winter sports holiday for the first time, I encourage them and advise them to get private lessons if they can afford them and that they will probably pick up boarding more quickly than skiing as that is what I am led to believe by friends. The most important thing? Just get out on the snow and have fun!
snow conditions
[quote="pam w"]sherlock235, but the women you ride with are a small minority (sadly). It's great to see young girls now - 8 -10 sort of age, getting to grips with it, because hopefully they'll keep going. quote]

How about this young Tigress then...

http://www.skiweardale.com/membership.html

Go 'Mira
Very Happy
ski holidays
snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
cc_7up, that is AWESOME!!! wink

regardless of gender, seeing a grom enjoying themselves like that is so much fun to watch.

and of course, let's not forget our own
becky menday who is doing exceptionally well. she'll be ready for sochi, i think. she's 11(?) now.
snow report
Gordyjh, 'Life' and concomitantly, 'Living'; Is a melange of challenges, the more you accept, the longer and better your life . . . no matter how short that may be.
ski holidays
I am a competent skier and in fact used to race. Love skiing, but I turned to boarding because it was easier on my ankles. I agree with what Kiwi, said in that if you get a chance to board on piste in deep snow, you will improve very quickly as suddenly the fear of face planting or falling generally, is greatly diminished. I have two hours worth of lessons on a board, the first at Calshot on the dry slope there leading to falling leaf only and then in Bariloche when I guy taught us to do linked turns. Thereafter it has been hit and miss.

I completely understand the catching an edge point, but again as rayscoops, says, that goes in time as you become more practised. What is clear that whilst I love skiing, boarding brings with it new opportunities including the odd little jump and powder. This cannot be stressed enough and last year I went with my Dad to Flaine where he was just amazed at how easy I would carve and float across and down beautiful powder fields making him very jealous. You simply cannot have that same ability to surf on skis.

As above, stick with it and it will be another string to you and your wife's bows eventually. Plus your kids will think you are a little cooler!
snow report
Quote:

Plus your kids will think you are a little cooler!

Not sure about that. Probably even more embarassing than a dancing parent!
snow conditions
Nothing compares to legendary dad dancing involving nonsensical kicks small kicks into the air, etc.
latest report
sherlock235 wrote:
Quote:
my practice takes place trying to stay upright whilst riding on the buses, trains and tubes around london without strap-hanging. it takes a while to learn initially, but it's great practise. except when it doesn't work and you look like a t1t cos you fall into some poor unfortunate...

Heh, I thought I was the only one who did that Very Happy. It's an integral part of my twice-daily metro routine. I can't remember how the London tube is, but here the metro has lots of corners and downhill so it's actually quite tough to do. Have almost fallen into people many a time Toofy Grin

It's an important bit of training though. Boarding is all about teaching – and then trusting – your feet to switch between toe and heel automatically in response to what they feel beneath them.
ski holidays
Quote:

Have almost fallen into people many a time

good practice for mowing people down on the piste then!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Beatcccccccch Shocked Laughing

True though mrsfatcontroller destroyed any good will between skiers and boarders last year when we were learning. Her exit lift and dive technique was a particular joy to watch. Invariably took out 3-4 skiers in the process Laughing
snow conditions
I think at the end of the day you are always going to a favourite. I'm a skier but I've done a couple of seasons on my board now, I like having the option to do either and snowboarding gives my knees a break but I'm always going to prefer my skis on a powder day or in the park and pam w, although I don't ski in makeup I do prefer wearing my fitted ski jackets to my baggy boarding gear! Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:
good practice for mowing people down on the piste then!

Yeah, but that takes more refinement... you gotta catch the perfect moment when the skiers are at their greatest standstill swarm, usually located about 3 metres from and in the direct line of the chairlift exit wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy