Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport Closed

Poster: A snowHead
Geneva Airport currently closed. Latest news is earliest opening is mid-day today. Will update again on here at 10.00am UK time.
Some UK originating flights currently diverted to Zurich and Basle. Passengers being bussed (3 hrs) by the airline to Geneva.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
would have been nice to know why.... http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/culture/index/Geneva_airport_strike_set_to_continue.html?cid=8038696
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Due to bad weather. Snow.
Also, the baggage handlers are still on strike - just to cheer everyone (including ourselves up - Not). So luggage delivery was taking up to an hour yesterday. Better than last Saturday though, then it was taking 2-3 hours for luggage to come through.

Will update Geneva Situation in the next 15 mins or so, once I receive further info from the airport.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Easyjet cancellations Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chambery closed as well I hear . . . .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And Grenoble. Turin appears to be OK though.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Could the drop in temperature and resulting airport closures be due to the fact that the UK banking community has returned to the City and there is less hot air around in Savoie?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamexpress, Excellent info thanks. We have snowHead stuck at UK airports trying to get snowwards, so this is serious!

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Interesting. According to Gatwich Flight Departures info some flights to Geneva (and Chambery) are going out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sky news says Geneva airport is closed so it must be true Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just had text from friend in Chambery and its closed, so is Lyon, talk of Esprit busing them to Milan.................... Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
According to Gatwich Flight Departures

Yes, but what about Gatwick Flight Departures?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bet Gatwick flights are going into another airport - Lyon is a pretty open space so if runway clear, should get in. Might give a chance of those at Chambery to get out

What gets me is I bet we have better information than those stuck at the airport - I know I had much better info on my Blackberry on Xmas eve in Southampton than the ground staff had !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alti - dude, Absolutely. That is why I am monitoring the situation for Linds,. A friend of mine was in the happy position a few years ago of being able to refuse to leave his Banff hotel as he knew the plane was still in Glasgow.

snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd get the bus to Milan and go shopping and have another go later in the week . . .

Even better idea, Juventus are playing AC Milan in the Olympico stadium tonight in Turin - 2nd and third in table. Good football (and probably a fight), Italian hospitality. What you more could you want. Direct TGV to Turin from Chambery Happy
snow report
Lyon also closed last night. My son was flying from Edinburgh to Lyon and got diverted to Basel. Easyjet then bussed them (7 hours!) to Lyon in the middle of the night. He is now waiting for the car hire firm to open and hopefully they will have kept his car for him.
latest report
Geneva now open: Swissinfo

Airport webcam seems down.

Nearby webcam suggests weather is fine.
snow report
London Zoo now open (until 4pm)
snow report
Notice Thomson are posting some info on various flight issues. Regular updates but not that much content
http://www.thomsonski.co.uk/incident.shtml
snow report
Interestingly, that bulletin - dated 10 Jan - refers to "French flights 9th Jan", and makes no mention of any airport closures today.

And the information from yesterday evening states:
Quote:
In line with today's departures, airline advice remains that flights from the UK on Sun 10 Jan 2010 will depart as planned.

So that was OK then!
latest report
I've got friends stuck in Geneva airport. On their outward journey they were booked to fly from Bournemouth but had to go to Gatwick for an overnight in a hotel and flight from there the following day and now to be stuck in the airport on the return is miserable. Feel sorry for everybody caught up in this travel chaos. Crying or Very sad

I'm thankful my son arrived in Heathrow this morning from Sydney on time and has safely driven home. His car was parked at Heathrow for the last 5 weeks. He'd paid for a meet and greet service - presumably they jump start cars if the batteries are flat.
snow conditions
Don't.even.go.there................ left GVA lte last night... nice easy day today (or so I thought) 09:00 samoens to GVA, 11:00 GVA to Samoens then up mountain by 14:00...

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha............................ got to GVA all arrivals in Red finally left at 16:00 what a day...

As for tomorrow, rumours abound of a Taxi drivers bloackage at GVA, so that'll be fun (- NOT)!!
ski holidays
marcellus, they won't be there at 7.30 in the morning will they when friends of mine are due to fly out from GVA???

This all seems a complete nightmare from whichever end of the travel you look at it.
latest report
Nightmare - we were flying out on Thursday to Geneva, all cancelled and ended up getting anb overnight coach (we were lucky, we were with ski weekends, who I've never used but have found to be abolsutely superb) - but are due to return to Gatwick tomorrow night so will be following this thread closely! Thanks in advance for the info.
snow conditions
Pamski, who knows???

There are ways around their blockade too Wink
ski holidays
What is Switzerland coming to? Confused
snow conditions
All Swiss strikes start and end punctually, as does Swiss snowfall. You can set your watch by them.
latest report
Bit of a tale of woe this but if I can't share it with you lot then there's not much hope!!!!!!!!!

The first flight of the day from Liverpool to Geneva has been cancelled every day this week, we were booked on said flight this morning. Last night we made a collective decision to switch flights & go from Manchester instead.

So we checked in, boarded the plane & were waiting to take off when the announcement came that there would be a delay due to "problems at Geneva."

So we sat on the plane for another hour before they dropped the bombshell that the flight was cancelled!

We were waiting in the queue for customer services when an Easyjet rep asked if we were intending to transfer, we said yes, she then informed us that "Geneva would be shut all day, so there'll be nothing until Monday!"

Acting on that advise we abandoned the trip & went home, as it was only a 3 night affair.
It was only when I got home & checked the net that I discover the not only was Geneva now open but the flight from Liverpool that we were originally booked on flown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To say that I'm sitting here totally inconsolable would be somewhat of an under statemant Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lucan, you may as well laugh as that is a quality tale of woe.
ski holidays
Flew into Chambery yesterday, it was a mess.

Delays, flights re-routed and cancelled. The floor was litered with people sleeping, eating, waiting. When we arrived the captain said 'I have been informed the airport is now closed' (my OH responded 'oh no, so where do we go when we get off the plane? Very Happy) but in the next hour or so perhaps 1 flight arrived and 1 left. Something to do with only have space for 2 planes at a time due to ice...
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman,

Cheers mate.

Taken solace with a 4 pack of Stella & a bottle of Red!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
Lucan, try a four pack of red wine and a bottle of Stella instead !! bad luck Sad
snow conditions
Lucan, Sad
ski holidays
Lucan, didn't know you were coming from Liverpool so apologies for this one;

We were sitting there watching the flights, and yes you're right a lot of the Liverpool flights this week have been cancelled..... the 1st flight confirmed as arriving was your original one from Liverpool.... it did cause us a few wry laughs.

The other one was the Stansted flight...................... to anyone who did arrive on it and wondered why everyone looked at them as if they had 3 heads..... we were told it was cancelled so everyone scrubbed it off their lists.. suddenly people arrived at the desks saying "we're from Stansted"!!

A**e and elbow springs to mind!!
ski holidays
We were there this morning. They didn't open the runways until 9:30. We were lucky; our charter flight was delayed by a few hours. A lot of EasyJet flights were cancelled. We talked to a woman who'd been waiting over a day for her flight (had a hotel provided to stay in).
ski holidays
Lucan,
Quote:

The first flight of the day from Liverpool to Geneva has been cancelled every day this week

Every day??? Including the coming Saturday? Where did you find this information? is it available anywhere online?
latest report
Nightmares for some, my guests did get out pm with a 2 hour delay BA to LHR.
I got a bonus of someone re-booked 2 days later who is now skiing an extra 2 days while staying with us in Morzine.
Better than a GVA hotel.
Every lining has a silver cloud eh !!!
Got some funny looks walking the easyjet re-book line with a "4 beds in Morzine " sign, but it worked Very Happy
ski holidays
Friends arrived home late last night from Paris after being transferred from Geneva. Hopefully travel arrangements will be kinder to those going next weekend.
ski holidays
aldoyle,
Just keep checking the Easyjet & Liverpool airport websites the night before & on the morning that you're due to go, that's what we did.
I stayed up most of Saturday, to keep an eye on things, everything looked ok, in fact I was actually asleep on the plane waiting to take off, but then........

marcellus,
My wife was at home on the net telling me that the Liverpool flights were still running,
"No they're not" says me, "I've just been told by a very nice lady from Easyjet that there are no flights going to Geneva today."

rayscoops,
Took your advise, at midnight the world was a slightly better place, couldn't say the same when I was opening up the office at 7am this morning!!!!!!

Here's the latest anyway, we've managed to rebook the flights for Sunday 24th, we should get some money back from the car hire and the hotel were great, they've managed to get us back in, 24th, 25th & 26th!

So hopefully we be back in Les Carroz then!
snow report
like i have said my friends were due back with Mon to Man yesterday, Mon reckon they can do Wed night return, but they are coming with Easyjet Tue night, so they are holed up in Gen hotel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy