Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to the alps

Poster: A snowHead
boredsurfin, no I've not heard anything since there was a bit of discussion back in the summer. As Eurotunnel now price their tickets according to demand (like a lo-cost airline) I thought I'd risk buying tickets early because I didn't want prices to rise before I'd booked. I've just check the price for the same booking we have and the outward part is still the same (£49) but the return journey is now £5 more expensive than we paid.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar.org.uk,

Most channel Ops do this now...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, Care to comment on the ongoing financial situation at the Tunnel? Actually to be more specific if I buy a ticket now what do you think are the chances of being able to use it in January?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the off-peak eurounnel prices are excellent, but it's not always possible to time the journey that exactly, and an extra £30 (not euros) is charged if you catch a different train in the same "off peak" bracket. I have no idea about the risk of losing money on tickets bought now. Anybody got any inside info on the Portsmouth-Le Havre ferry route being abandoned by P & O? We live 10 minutes from Portsmouth!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar.org.uk, The last minute ticket I purchased during the recent BA strike was £110 return, leaving the next day. It certainly pays to book ahead these days.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty, still cheaper than some of their pricing a few years back though Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, I realise that, but unfortunately Jane gets terribly seasick (once vomited while the ferry was still in Dover harbour), so the train is our only cross-Channel option.

Frosty, I agree - I've never been lucky whn it comes to cheap tickets booked at the last minute, so I tend to book early for everything these days.

pam w, are you sure that you pay extra for a different time train within the same price bracket? That's not my understanding, and it wasn't the case when we turned up a couple of hours early at Calais last December. We were given the choice of catching a train immediately (it was within the same price bracket) or sticking with our booking and having a couple of hours to shop in the Duty Free place.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have booked ferry crossings from Dover-Calais on numerous occasions with Sea France £90 return, who I've always found to be cheaper than P&O, but his year our summer holiday wasn't booked until May, and I managed to get two cars (1 was an MPV with box) for £60 return travelling at the end of July with P&O. It doesn't always pay to book early as prices do fluctuate considerably. Also we always book the late night crossings which are so much cheaper, and you have the advantage of quiet roads and arriving early for a full days skiing. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a Speed ferries fan now, bought three tickets now £50 each return with a car. Dover/Bolougne. I THINK its £50 no matter what time you book (I may be wrong but don't think I am). Their MPV/larger vehicle's came out at about £65 return when I looked. Bolougne is only a few miles east of Calais.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Frosty, That's excellent value, I shall be looking into that one. Very Happy

edit: yup, just checked it out £50 return Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin,

I don't know about Eurotunnel's situation specifically I will try and get a better picture.
I would think that the ferry companies would take any surplus under the reciprical arrangement.
No one here is talking about Eurotunnel falling over however and expect business as usual.
And, of course, pay by credit card. A friend lost out when EUjet failed by not paying by CC.

pam w,
The end of sept is the pull out time. I did hear talk of Britannia taking over but that seems to have died a death.

The tunnel always used to charge for missed trains but the French side can be a bit hit and miss - whether they can be bothered type thing.
But if you arrive early and it suits THEM to have you on the next train I would not expect them to charge you. It would be a cheek if they did

Just got a quote for Fri 3 Feb 0600 dept for £30.00 via P&O. The problem will be the retiurn, if you try to get a crossing throughout the day/evening its about £75. I always try to travel at unsociable hours so £30 for the return trip should be achievable from this far away in time. So just as IncogSkiSno says.
Thats the way of the world with online travel bookings now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've heard this from a couple of people but don't know how true it actually is ? Basically booking day returns on both sides ? I know that ferry companies threaten to charge you full rate if you try to pull a fast one but has anyone had any experience of this ? I mean how accurate can all the ferry operators be logging everyones number plate/cross referencing etc etc ? 'Oh' can anyone advise whether the Petrol stations in France near the ferryports switch over to "Winter diesel" in the colder months or is it only when you get near the Alps etc that they sell "Winter Diesel" ? Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We were charged £30 in BOTH directions on our last eurotunnel trip (August). But we were pretty late; the trip had been originally booked for March.... In the past they didn't always bother, but seem to have tightened up. The trouble with all the Dover bargains is that we live a few minutes from the Portsmouth ferryport, and I do hate the M25. Though Le Havre creates timing problems with Paris. There just isn't a really easy way of getting there, is there? I am very used to the drive, now, but we are generally going for weeks; I'd not be keen on driving for a week these days, though I did it in the past.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, perhaps since Eurotunnel switched to charging more like a lo-cost airline they are more rigorous about enforcing charging policies for people who turn up at a different time to their tickets?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the Eurotunnel website:

Quote:
We do recognise that it is not always possible to plan your arrival time at Check-In accurately. So, if you arrive late at Check-In within 2 hours of your booked departure time, we will, at no extra charge, transfer you to a space on the next available shuttle. However, please note that this could take a while if we are very busy.

If you arrive between 2 and 24 hours after your booked departure time, we will only charge you the difference between the price paid originally and the price applicable to your new departure. If you arrive more than 24 hours after your booked departure time, you will need to buy a new ticket. Check our Ticket Terms for more information.

So you can be up to two hours late without penalty.
snow report
yes, I guess being two months late was pushing my luck
ski holidays
Type23,

Booking made have an outward and inward leg and it is very easy to see that one half is not used. Thats when companies - probably quite rightly - think the traveller is pulling a fast one.
Searches made by name or registration are also very easy. However, the new low cost airline policy can actually be quite helpful here as
it is very easy to book one leg now. In the past it used to be only foreign address which could get Calais/Dover prices which also seemed to be a lot cheaper, Brits had to pay the full rate..!!
Now it is a question of capacity and peak times demand peak rates but the quite times should be cheaper. Witrh this in mind the carrier mightv charge if the rates crossed into different rate zones. The ferries generally don't charge for weather delays but might charge if you booked a cheap crossing but then turned up at a peak time.
latest report
boredsurfin,

If they go tits up, PM me.
snow report
JT, I think you'll hear before me wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 5-09-05 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
boredsurfin,

I meant I'll sort out a crosiing if there isn't an automatic arrangement in place at the time, if I can.
ski holidays
JT, Cheer's for that. Hopefully I won't need to!
ski holidays
Let's hope that Eurotunnel doesn't go tits up, but if it does surely the banks will establish another company to run the operation? Having an empty hole in the ground will benefit nobody.
latest report
rob@rar.org.uk,
Thats a sure thing and some might argue that Eurotunnel will go bust sooner or later and needs to do so to be competitive.
snow report
JT, putting aside their debt mountain, do they make an operational profit at the moment?
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk,

I don't get involved to that extent, ie, the breakdown of their finances but I expect they do as they have pretty much half the market on tourist traffic and it ebbs and flows with P&O with FR8. Taking out the Debt equation they would be in a pretty poor state if they didn't make money
The split is something like 35-38% each and Sea France, Norfolk and Speed Ferries share the rest.

Norfolkline have two ships to come online and a new port albeit in Dunkerque. It remains to be seen how serious Norfolkline wil be about tourist traffic.

The picture for channel crossings is a lot better re DOV/CAL now and the new price structures have probably helped along with restructuring which both P&O nd Eurotunnel have had to do
snow report
JT wrote:
Type23,

Booking made have an outward and inward leg and it is very easy to see that one half is not used. Thats when companies - probably quite rightly - think the traveller is pulling a fast one.
Searches made by name or registration are also very easy.

JT,
Sorry maybe I should of made my point clearer, what if you use the cheap "booze cruise" day return offers from rival ferry firms/and or tunnel i.e don't use the same firm on both legs wink ? As for rivals ferry firms/channel tunnel taking the time to record/note everyones registration number and sharing that information amongst themselves I'm pretty sure that's not done ?

Has anyone on the board tried this ? Puzzled
latest report
Type23,

Yes, that would possibly work but the inward leg of whichever company would know you haven't used their outward leg , smell a rat and probably surcharge. Going out wouldn't be the problem, getting back, more so. But as I get my crossings free I don't really have to know about these things.

The records of customers would not be cross-referenced between operators, of course.
snow conditions
JT,
With these days of internet bookings you don't even have to speak to an operator Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Type23, Eurotunnel's Terms and Conditions state that:
Quote:
1.4 Return bookings

For return bookings failure to complete both outward and return journeys invalidates your booking and you will be liable to pay for the journey completed, the difference between the price paid and the relevant single fare applicable at the time your journey was made.

Looks like they reserve the right to charge an additional fee to upgrade your cheap day return to the price of a full fare single journey.
snow conditions
Sea Frances T and Cs state
Quote:

I have read and accept the terms and conditions applicable to this ticket and I authorise that, if I do not comply with these terms, the appropriate fare (up to a maximum of £177.50, based on a car and 9 passengers) will be charged to my credit card.

Looks like they keep an eye you as well
ski holidays
I'm not sure about that, they can put what they like in the T & C's, if they put they'll come round your house and smash you windows it doesn't mean they can. Having paid for a service you can't be compelled to take it up, I'd be surprised if it stood up really.
snow report
Type23,

I meant Ferry or tunnel operator would not be able to cross ref, they need all the customers they can get they aren't going to pass on any details even if they could.

At checkin all Channel/tunnel operators would know which part of the ticket the customer has travelled. Of course, if you can travel via different companies on single tickets you might make some savings. It took years for the Operators (channel) to work out that people were using cheap day returns over long periods but not using one of the legs. That is why they stopped it. And you couldn't buy a day ticket in Calais - particuarly as an English speaker and I think it was hard for the French, I tried to get one to do it once..Still cost £60.00 - because of that very reason.

Notice that some sites don't allow singles from France, only outward singles. Otherwise it would be back to square one..!!

But since the for a long stay trips starts around £50-60 return whoever you chose - and it may depend on travel times - there is less of a need.

The only reason they will be able to implement a charge is if you turn up at their checkin with their ticket and you have abused their T&C's as they see it.
if you just use the outward then that is the end of it. They are only looking that the user has not used one of the legs on that particular booking. Anything else is too time consuming and would only be researched for criminal type purposes
ski holidays
I have had play on the net this morning. P&O quoted me £60 each way for two single from Dover to Calais and back. These were travelling a week apart. For the same trip and sailing times, they come up with £106 return.

Sea France won't let you buy a single Calais-Dover ticket on the net.
snow report
Markw,

Go out of hrs if poss.

I have just tried 3 feb friday night dept @1810 and return Sat feb 11th @1745 for £30 outward and 60 return.
£90 for a feb dept for acr of 2

And I have repeated the outward but at 1440 friday afternoon which means you could break the back of the journey on the friday, stop somewhere past Dijon for a stop over and then get to the alpes refreshed on sat am.

Whichever way you want to do it but from here £90 is easy to achieve and £60 is about going at unsocialbly times, mostly.
ski holidays
Type 23: This was a few years ago now, but we did exactly what you have suggested, booked cheap day returns for the outward and return journeys. When we got to calais to make the return trip we were forced to buy a completely new (and expensive) single ticket to dover as the return portion of our ticket was not valid as we hadn't made the outward portion. Be warned...
snow conditions
mwareing,
I take it that both legs were with same ferry company ? what I've been trying to across is if you book either leg with different operator how can they possibly know ?
snow report
Did I mention that there are some snowchains for sale here
ski holidays
Type23,

You book a return with Fery company A and you use the outward only, or you book a single, no problem.
They will know you didn't use any return ticket only if they have cause to look up the booking. In practice this means they don't know.
So far so good, you return via ferry company B on a completely different date - probably over an extended period and present the return leg to Ferry co B. The booking shows you haven't used the outward leg of tyhat booking and they would most likely charge you a single return at an expensive rate because they are pretty sure you are pulling a fast one and in their T&C's there is a provision and justification for doing this. This is a well known flanker that they are all aware of. If you buy a return they expect you to use it. You can buy a single but only outward. Yoiu can't buy a single return. And Brits can't do this at all easily in France at an sort of worthwhile price. They don't have to talk to each other as they know what is going on by loking at which leg is sailed. If they don't think the excuse is plausible the return leg Fery co will surcharge invaribly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy