Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ladies Skis Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I've had about 5 weeks of ski holidays and ski mainly blues, and the occasional easy reds. I don't think I have any desire really to do more than this - I like skiing for a few hours each day and then on to the apres ski!! I don't think anyone will ever get me on a black. I don't really venture off piste unless I get lost.

Anyway, I've previously used unisex skis I bought after my first holiday from Decathlon. They are their shorter skis (130cm) and I want to buy some new skis that perhaps suit me more (instead of buying the pretty ones... Smile and I have a bit more money to spend this time.

Any advice on what skis to buy? I presume it's best to go for the lady specific ones out now? I am 5ft 1 and weigh more than I should. I want some skis that will allow me to progress slightly as I want them to last if I do get a bit better.

Advice on which skis to go for, as well as what size, would really be appreciated. I went to one local shop and I think they were trying to sell me what they had in stock as the guy didn't ask me any questions about my ability etc.

Budget wise I didn't really want to go over £300.

If anyone has got any advice on new boots too, that would be great. I've seen some Dalbello Ladies Raya 8 on the skiwear4less website at a good price, but have never heard of the make.

Thanks guys!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jujules, I don't know where you are in the West Midlands, but you could try going to the indoor snow slope at Milton Keynes where you could test skis from Ellis Brigham (I gather that if you buy a pair after your session they will refund the cost of you slope time at Snozone, although I'm not sure how long that is). Another option might be Snow and Rock at Hemel Snow Centre. snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, just realized you also mentioned boots. Nearly everyone on here loves CEM at Bicester! I can't comment as I bought my boots (from Ellis Brigham at MK) before I heard of him. I would definitely recommend getting them properly fitted though.

PS: Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Iski - I live in Birmingham but might make a trip to Milton Keynes and Bicester if they're good as it's only just over an hour away. The only problem is that I am going away on March 20th and have had a shoulder operation recently so can't ski yet, so won't be able to try anything!! Not ideal, I know.
I am only thinking about getting them before I can test them because quite a few places have said that they don't get many more deliveries in, and as I probably need short skis I should get them sooner rather than later.
Not sure if that is just sales pitch tho Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I believe there's a shop somewhere near Birmingham (might be in Wolverhampton) called White Mountain... I've never used it myself but I've heard good things about knowledgeable staff and good service. Might be worth dropping in there to see if they can help.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Atomic cloud 9, very light ski, good to progress on, excellant reviews - looks good as well
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jujules, welcome to SH! There are several lady snowheads who refer to themselves as "pixies" Laughing and hopefully some of them will be along to advise you. Maybe it'd be worth amending your thread title to point out you're seeking advice on skis for a small lady?

Just another random thought - I wonder if the shops where you're going on holiday might have plenty of stock in the right size and allow you to hire and then buy if you like them, with the hire price deducted? Where are you going? Someone here will almost certainly have local knowledge.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jujules, As regards the length of skis, I am only just 5'2", don't have my own skis, but have been quite happy skiing on hire or test ones varying from 140cm to 155cm in length so it could be that there is more choice available to you than previously seemed to be the case.

Butterfly,'s suggestion of trying/buying some when you are on holiday also seems a good idea.

I tried the Atomic cloud 9 that thebrownslug, mentioned at a ski test at Milton Keynes and liked them. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My wife has the new cloud 9, she loves them and always gets comments on them when on the lifts!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jujules, hiya, I'm a gal who seems to prefer ladies specific skis too. I've no idea on the science of it all, I just seem to be able to control them better. I've been to a couple of testing sessions at indoor snowdomes (maybe you're not far from Tamworth?) and all the skis that made it on to my shortlist were ladies ones.

I ended up with a pair of Rossignol Attraxion Style 6, very kindly sold to me by another snowhead. However, in your price range I believe you could buy the 'less advanced model' Rossignol Attraxion 3 brand new. But I would suggest you try before you buy, different skis seem to suit different people's skiing styles.

I'm not a small gal so can't help you on the length front, but there's plenty of good advice here already.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jujules, White Mountain have shops in Walsall and Wolverhampton and are, indeed, very good. Ask for Clive at Wolverhampton.

As I am married to one of the aforementioned Pixies I can tell you that Bev has just upgraded to Head Every Ones though those are a bit top-end for your experience level. Head Cool Ones might suit. I would say length wise you need about 150cm. Linds is another Pixie and she (when not stuck at Gatwick) skis on 152 Atomic Nomad Crimsons (I think) which are a bit all-mountainy for you.

You need to try some out. All the skis mentioned so far are great as is the Rossignol Zephyr says Bev. Beware the ski that is a bit too stiff and narrow for you. You need Intermediate level skis.

Application for Pixie status can be made at any snowHead bash.

snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, I'm new here Smile

I recently bought some Head First skis and Salomon Divine 6 boots. I hadn't skied properly since I broke my leg in 1990, but last year went to Kranjska Gora to see if I wanted to do it again. I did, but spent the whole week with sore feet from rented boots, so vowed never to do it ever again in someone else's boots! Crying or Very sad

I had no idea what I wanted when I went into the shop - Two Seasons, Northampton - but the sales assistant knew what she was talking about and fitted the boots well, (with additional insoles.) I looked at all the skis and for my budget, the Head ones seemed the best for my budget. I am not a complete beginner, but need easy skis which are going to give me confidence as it's all a bit scary still.

I think the best thing is to go into the shop and sort of forget about budget as much as you can. Proper fitting is worth a great deal I reckon. I would have paid £100 more than I did on rental costs just to make sure everything fitted properly so I wouldn't spend the week in pain Evil or Very Mad I managed to get both skis and boots, including insoles for £370. You may need to spend more if you're a bit better though.

The funny thing is Jules, I am booked to go to Serre Chevalier on March 20th and I also had a shoulder operation in October. Very Happy

Good Luck!
Clare
xx
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Clare_M, Welcome to snowHeads. I see you already speak the language! Laughing

You seem to have made lots of excellent decisions there.

snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks Chris, should I mention I've got a helmet though? Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone - that's really useful. I wasn't expecing to get so many helpful post on my first attempt! I think I am hooked Smile
I rang round a few local places today and couldn't find anywhere with Cloud 9 for little people! They only had the bigger ones.
I went to the snowdome at Tamworth and someone there suggested the ski warehouse in Tamworth so I went there and got someone realy helpful. I ended up buying Roxy Bliss skis size 145 (£269) and the Dalbello Raya 6 (£145).
Has anyone got any feedback on these?? I hope I haven't made a mistake.
I hope the man gave me the right advice as he was very helpful - if not, look out for them both for sale on this forum on March 27th when I get back Smile
Chris Bish - am very exited about being a snowhead pixie!
Clare_M - hope the shoulder is doing well. How is it now? I had mine done in November and I'm still not very active. Oh, and I had to have a few years out due to a broken leg too! Have fun in Serre Chevalier.
Thanks again everyone xx
latest report
Jules,
My shoulder is fine, just a few twinges every now and then. Had arthroscopy to take the end of my clavicle off due to a sprain in March last year. It caused a cyst which was removed Shocked
Completely snapped my tib/fib and had 6 months in plaster after 5 weeks in hospital. Makes skiing a scary experience, but really want to overcome the fear, there's nothing physical stopping me!
Sounds like you're all set up now. Where are you off on the 20th March?
xx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy