Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm: 3-hour jam to access ski area gives way to "amazing day"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The astonishing snow conditions on Scotland's best-known ski mountain - Cairngorm - are attracting big traffic. Earlybirds heading for the hill this morning faced a jam below the snow-gates lasting over 3 hours while a snow-clearing crew battled with a broken-down snowplough on the access road.

This thread on Winterhighland.com

The photo in the RH column of this page (showing the East Lady, which normally carries no skiable snow-cover)...

http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=cg

... suggests unprecedented snow depths in Cairngorm's ski history, or at least for a couple of decades.

Anyone care to comment on the significance of the current conditions for early Jan?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
I've been skiing Cairngorm since 1983 and I've never seen as much skiable cover as there is just now. Amazing! Happy
pics on the Scotland this weekend thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The snow cover is truly epic, but the less said about Saturday's pantomime the better. rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unfortunately, Cairngorm Mountain is reporting a technical fault with the funicular railway - the hub of the lift system - this morning ...

http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk

Quote:
The funicular continues to show a technical fault, this fault is with the telemetry i.e. the train cars are not communicating with the main control computer. All day yesterday and most of last night the technical team were working with Switzerland to resolve this issue and we are as frustrated as our public. We continue to work on the fault.

... but the access road and carparks are clear.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My January Swiss holiday almost seems like insanity.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, Yes, once in a blue moon conditions so I have now booked a quick trip for week after next to Cairngorm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Funicular back in action. -30C windchill at top station, according to Cairngorm site.

What are you planning to wear, Swiller?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ernst Goldsmith, my usual tweeds, mink underwear and Norwegian jumper I expect.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ dressed like that you'll blend in nicely with the locals Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see that the 'Cairngorm Traffic Jam' thread on Winterhighland has now grown to 8 pages:

http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,113911,page=8

which makes it more of a jam than a thread - the posts are queued up for miles, with every fuming motorist taking a view on how the mountain should be run. In the days I worked on Cairngorm, Bob Clyde (who got an MBE for his services) used to be on the access road every morning, wheeling the snowploughs into action and generally trouble-shooting the whole ski area. But the winters were reliably good, through the 1960s and 1970s. In any event, it's a remarkably difficult management job running that hill - there are so many uncertainties every day and every winter. Given the number of dud winters through the 1980s and 1990s we should be thankful that there's any skiing on Cairngorm at all.

As for the access road, the 9-mile distance of Aviemore from its ski mountain is where many of the problems lie. In a traditional ski resort, a major dump isn't usually enough to stop people skiing, because they're there already. A proportion of the lifts might take time to open, but people are on the spot and usually skiing pretty quickly.

Who'd really want to run Cairngorm (and its investment-starved lift system) amongst the couch-potato-chattering-classes?

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 13-01-10 5:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
But how long can we expect it to last? I need it to stay till mid Feb when I can get away, any chance of that? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was there in the queue Sat but must say that the conditions made up for the wait. Shame the funicular problem occurred at the same time. I don't think I have ever skiied on better snow. The skiing on Friday with blue skies and no wind was excellent but the fresh snow that night just made it even better. Shame I had to leave at 2:30 that afternoon for a 520 mile drive home Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ernst Goldsmith, the reason people are fuming is because it was not a major dump. It was < 10cm of snow that fell when it was flat calm, it had stopped snowing before the snow gates were actually closed and didn't snow all morning! On what should have been the day of the season, CML were caught with their pants down!

Plus what grates even more than the skiing down time, is the fact CML throw away an amount of cash over the weekend thought to be be equivalent to the cost of servicing the West Wall Chairlift
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterhighland, I can see your point entirely. My informant - Major Dump - misled me. No, I don't think it would have happened in the days of Bob Clyde.

The history of Cairngorm and Aviemore will make a brilliant book, one day. And that jam deserves a chapter.

I can also see your revenue point - it's pretty persuasive. There's a huge company called Merlin Entertainments Group - they run everything from the London Eye (on the land owned by my employers Southbank Centre) to Legoland to Alton Towers. I wonder what they'd make of the situation and the solutions?

http://www.merlinentertainments.biz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy