Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2009-10 Season Trip Report: Nendaz.

Poster: A snowHead
Tuesday.

Dylan, Benjy and RPF backside on Mont Fort

Swirly in Superbowl

Benjy practicing for the Eurotest

Gorilla hiking into Rock Garden

and finally swirly Rock Gardening
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
richardlackey, Cheers for the pics. Well up for some more days like these. Hope it keeps snowing tonight! Not looking enough for a powderday tomoro.
Today was a write off for us after poor discipline in the pub last night Embarassed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, where's super bowl?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skiking4 wrote:
Hey, where's super bowl?

Verbier wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Haggis_Trap, don't you mean Nendaz wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, Its not covered on the Verbier pass you need either 4 Vallees pass or skins to get there Little Angel
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
So Super bowl is not backside?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
michaelminhatkinson, if you meant the turquoise/green things in the photo they look like a board because they are.

scottishskier, it's the FWT next week so you never know.

richardlackey, nice photos.

skiking4 wrote:

Hey, where's super bowl?

Swirly wrote:
also forgive me for being a bit more coy about saying where things are: currently there is no official off piste guide to the area (unlike L2A) and understandably locals want it to stay that way so I won’t be giving details on how to access most things hereabouts.

Not my place to say I'm afraid.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richardlackey in the rockgarden in the cloud.

Yesterday Brian invited us over to see his local area, you might think I’d know where this is, especially as I was driving, but he said that as the road was so bad I might find it better to wear a blindfold. This seemed to work as we arrived just after first lift. Sadly the pistes are full of rocks and in no way can I recommend this place, wherever it is.

Brian dodging the rocks NehNeh .

I’ll concede the scenery isn’t too shabby though.

Brian in a little couloir (Resort Z)

Some more shots (stolen from gorilla)

latest report
 brian
brian
Swirly, nice of you and gorilla to pop round. Sorry you had such a crap time. Sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
brian, it was just that even though it hadn't snowed in a while there was all this powder everywhere, they really should do something about that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Been touring a bit the last couple of days but only took a camera today, sadly as I've been carrying a lot of stuff (weight training!) I've not been able to fit in the SLR so these were taken on my pretty shoddy P&S.

Phot of the Bec des Ross darkside where they'll be holding the Verbier leg of the FWT on Saturday. There's been a tent at the Col De La Chaux (on the way up the Bec Des Rosses) for the past couple of days at least, not sure why it's there. Certainly not to stop people hiking up to ski as there were four tracks put down the dogleg couloir yesterday.

View over the Grand Combin or Mt Blanc, easy to confuse those bugs from the skin around the back of the ski area.

Looking back from the Col de Prafleuri

We skinned up to where this photo was taken, it was supposed to be a fairly short and gentle final climb, it turned into a skin up a 40 (in places) degree slope of breakable crust and avvy debris: interesting. At this point the batteries in the camera ran out rolling eyes Nice run down, not as steep as the skin but much better snow on the N-facing aspects.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scottishskier wrote:
So whats next? Bannana, Bec de Rosses... Wink

Well we've now done them both wink

I really should update this thread but for anyone who's interested and missed the following here's some catch up reading:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63332

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63449

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63496

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=63553
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK most of this has already been discussed elsewhere so apologies for the pearoast but here it is all in one place with extra photos.

Over the last week and a half we’ve had a load of snow and a load of snowheads with an honourable mention to horizon who made the drive from Belgium twice but did score some epic conditions.

Coming out of superbowl
video here

A load of people relocated for various lengths of stay in Nendaz and the party was hosted in style by bobinch at the excellent Chalet Chambord.

gorilla and I had the honour of opening Barry’s on successive days unfortunately in bad visibility but the knee deep snow was more than reward for setting the bootpacks in and out. New recruits were found and we hit the closed Vallon D’Arby. It was closed for a reason:

Of course this meant more fresh tracks and fun in the trees

richardlackey gets in the air

By now the party was in full swing (and I couldn’t keep my eyes open)

By mid week the weather had cleared and we decided to go for it. bobinch and I started out with the N face of Mt Fort, complete with sketchy access.

Yanick contemplates the rock hop above cliffs off the ridge

Pleased to have made it round with the snowboard...

The drop in

Comfortably the steepest thing I’ve ever boarded down and damn exposed too; the snow was excellent but care had to be taken with sluff which bounded down with every turn.

bobinchgets into his rhythm.

Having negotiated the face it was time to let rip

The line from top left trending left and right to get through the rock bands, said it was exposed.

The terrain opens out and we got away from the massive number of previous tracks (13)

It was like that all the way back to the lifts at which we arrived before lunch, of course this meant we had to find something else to get on and from somewhere the Bec des Rosses was suggested.

We decided not to take this line

Just above the col de La Chaux

Higher up we decided to use the axe and crampons

Arrival at the shoulder, we considered going higher but the traverse to the dogleg looked windswept and the snow here was deep, untracked and perfect.

Phillipe drops into sluff city.

One thing about the Bec is it always has something to surprise you, in
this video bobinch is getting worried about my flirtation with a not insignificant invisible cliff.

We exited via Barry’s and went to celebrate survival in the hottub.

More snow fell and to get something out of the flat light horizon and I played on minigolf making 6 of the first 10 tracks between us.

The next day we opened up the Right Chimney on the backside in more DEEP snow

horizon

Then it was up Gele for more sketchy access.

bobinch at the top of banana

and in the S

Yesterday we did the trek again for banana peel and the gazex couloirs

It’s hard work when the exposure adrenaline works off

but well worth it when in.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mr. Green
snow conditions
Swirly, Cant see one of the pics, its the one between bobinch at the top of banana and in the S. Didnt work on the other thread either
ski holidays
RPF, shame you couldn't make it over for a night.

I forgot to mention the hottub beer delivery system...

To deliver beer from the upstairs fridge to the outdoor hottub a 30m glacier travel rope was attached to a bag with an alpine butterfly knot the rope was passed through an anchor at ground level arms length from the tub and the ends tied off at the balcony leaving enough spare rope to enable the bag to be pulled in either direction. The bag could then be filled with beer at the top and by pulling one end of the rope and letting out slack on the other could be lowered to the tub. To prevent the bag hitting the ground before it had travelled the full distance (due to the weight when loaded with beer) a prussic was used on the anchor above the bag to keep tension in the system.

To gain attention of the beer wench snowballs were thrown at the window.
ski holidays
RPF wrote:
Swirly, Cant see one of the pics, its the one between bobinch at the top of banana and in the S. Didnt work on the other thread either

Fixed it, didn't upload for some reason.
snow conditions
Swirly wrote:
RPF, shame you couldn't make it over for a night.

I forgot to mention the hottub beer delivery system...

To deliver beer from the upstairs fridge to the outdoor hottub a 30m glacier travel rope was attached to a bag with an alpine butterfly knot the rope was passed through an anchor at ground level arms length from the tub and the ends tied off at the balcony leaving enough spare rope to enable the bag to be pulled in either direction. The bag could then be filled with beer at the top and by pulling one end of the rope and letting out slack on the other could be lowered to the tub. To prevent the bag hitting the ground before it had travelled the full distance (due to the weight when loaded with beer) a prussic was used on the anchor above the bag to keep tension in the system.

To gain attention of the beer wench snowballs were thrown at the window.

This is why I ski with these guys. I know they could get beer to me in the event of a crevass fall wink
ski holidays
RPF, personally that was my favourite part of the whole week, and a bigger achievement than Mt Fort N face and the Bec in a day.

That reminds me (and if this seems pretentious and showy-off then that's because it is) at the end of that week I was lay in the hottub, after dark looking at the stars with a cold beer after another day riding deep powder thinking that it looks like life has turned out OK. Only way it could have been better was if the other person in the tub hadn't been a sleeping bobinch Laughing
snow report
Swirly, love the black and white shot you cheeky bar5tard!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Swirly, Laughing Better luck with your next hot tub companion.

things not going well over in this valley. #1 son had a heli trip to sion on sunday with a broken leg. Double fracture of the tib. Sad
Yesterday i took a head first somersault onto some rocks. Have a triangular rock shaped hole in the front of my lid! The rock made it just far enough to break the skin. Mildly scary. Shocked Right arm is mostly purple having been sandwiched between me and rocks.

Fervently hoping trouble doesn't come in 3s. Confused
latest report
brian, Shocked Shocked please be careful and I hope your son mends quickly and fully.

I just love this thread, it's fantastic being able to enjoy, vicariously, things which I will never have a cat in hell's chance of experiencing myself. Swirly, your photos are simply awesome. Very Happy
latest report
brian, you were lucky, no massive head trauma or neck injury.

Sad to hear about "1. I hope he is in good spirits and the leg mends quickly and well.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 14-04-10 12:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian, good heavens, that is not good. I hope the both of you heal up soon.
snow report
brian, Sad Glad your injuries are no worse than that.
Hope #1 mends to try again.

Quote:

Fervently hoping trouble doesn't come in 3s.

Go and burn some toast or something just to get it out of the way.

Hurtle, If you get a pair of fat skis, you can Toofy Grin
ski holidays
brian, Ow, glad it was no worse for you. Really hope your son heals quickly too. +++ vibes for both of you and your wife.

If you like I can take no. 3 off your hands: was supposed to be doing Arolla-Zermatt today and tomorrow. Hurt my foot the other day and there was no chance of making the 1300m climb today, add to that the car wouldn't start anyway which although it didn't seem it at the time might have been a blessing in disguise as I might otherwise now at best be sat in the Bertol hut in agony dosed on painkillers and wine facing another climb in the morning.

Hurtle, thanks but I'm sure you could do a lot of this, it's not that hard and with the exception of a few lines not at all exposed: fairly safe with a group of people who know what they're doing or with a guide.
snow report
Swirly, Sh1te Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, Helmets r 4 losers. It was only due to all that extra mass wibbling around on your neck and your decreased risk aversion that you hit your head at all wink

Hope #1 heals soon & isn't too gutted at missing a week's skiing. The things kids'll do for a heli ride.
ski holidays
A few pics from Yesterday.
Found some nice snow, wasn't steep wasn't deep, but it was fun.
We found some steeper crustier bits later they were fun too.

gorilla

A few views from the Dam at Siviez
Looking over the lake

And looking down the valley towards Siviez

One wonders what the ski down to Siviez would be like without the lake Puzzled A few sticks of dynamite in the backpack tomorrow me thinks Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 14-04-10 13:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
the traverse skier's left of the dam looks like an interesting option at this time of year Shocked
latest report
Arno, Not one for the afternoons or when the freezing level is high. It gets a lot of sun.
3 guys were killed on it last year in Feb. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Arno, you wouldn't get me there. Although I heard a guide saying a week or 2 ago that so much snow had slid off it that it isn't as dangerous as normal. This was just after a warm spell with rain to quite high up and everything below 2500m slid. Even skiers right is dangerous at this time of year if you're late onto it, I've seen tracks across the lake which dodgy as it sounds could be the safest option at certain times.
latest report
Arno, Sorry, skiers left, does look "interesting" Skullie
It was the regular path out in the top pic I refered to in my previous post.
snow report
 brian
brian
Thanks folks. #1 has been a star, once he'd come to terms with the news about 6 weeks in plaster. He was lying in hospital while they plastered him up and he turned to me and said, "Dad, I don't think I'm going to be able to ski tomorrow."

If it's not Swirly's foot, looks like this ash cloud could be number 3. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Brian ...vibes to your son.

I was on that Heli and in that hospital a year ago almost to the day with spiral fracture of Tib and Fib.

A couple of pointers:
Your E111 number will pay 99+% of the hospital bill. They are very used to dealing with that. I thought Sion hospital was amazingly good, the teamwork and care (plus cleanliness and food) was much better than I have ever seen in our sainted NHS.
Tell your insurance company that the E111 has been used and in the relief of not having to pay for that they should be very accomodating with repatriation costs (in my case booking me 3 seats so my leg could lay flat in the plane).
If you have private medical minsurance in the UK then DO NOT tell them it happened skiing! I would suggest that your son took a nasty fall on the icy steps going up to your chalet wink . Almost all private medical insurance has an exclusion clause for skiing.
You really don't want to have to go through the NHS if you can avoid it. I have never seen the same Dr twice and the waiting lists are loooong.

If it is any consolation the consulatnt Ortho' I have seen in the UK said that Switzerland is possibly the best country in the world for Ortho work. He has never had to do remedial work on any Swiss stuff (and said that the reverse is true of France!). The Swiss lead the world in Ortho techniques and research.
snow report
 brian
brian
rungsp, thanks for the info. Big thumbs up for Sion hospital from us too and Air Glaciers and the piste rescue. All excellent.
snow report
brian, looks like it's the ash for you, followed the foot up with car problems and now a rib injury too. gorilla has a similar issue as he's supposed to be flying home early tomorrow morning.
ski holidays
I took a couple of days off from the snow to have a wander round the town and local villages, unfortunately this was how I hurt my foot, which was quite interesting as spring had fully arrived.

Getting ready for farming season

Last flight out of Sion for the UK

Alpine flowers are coming out quickly in town

Some people might think Nendaz isn't chocolate box and while it is a bit big the outskirts couldn't really be described as anything else

From there I saw this guy flying round, wish I'd had the long lens any ideas on ID?

Some old lift parts

Got home and this guy was wandering round the carpark

The snow is still quite good and as the season draws resolutely towards its end it becomes time to tick off things that might have been missed. The Dena is a couloir we looked at months ago but backed off after the walk (through a river) as we considered the avvy risk to be unjustifiable. However, in glorious spring snow we got back over.

richardlackey drops into the direct entry.

The next day we went back (in poor light) and did the normal with a rightwards variation, once again in perfect corn. Today was [b]gorilla[b]'s last day the ash having given him an extra week. Regular readers will be fully conversant with our many trips into superbowl, however, what you might not know is it has a younger brother. Mini (Petit) superbowl had been completely ignored by us all season as it's a shorter run and gets a lot more attention from others, however, with a full on corn cycle and no one around anymore we were pretty much guaranteed fresh tracks.

Check out that chute on the left of the second picture: begging for a track if I can work out access.

Only the weekend left now, in light of the fact we aren't going to get a 50 cm dump overnight I'm just hoping the corn keeps ripening. We can only get one run in a day in safe conditions as when it warms up it gets soft quick but that means two more lines to put in before hometime.
ski holidays
Swirly, that couloir looks superb. Nice pics!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy