Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski advice 27 mar - 3 april

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

Just returned from Val Thorens after a great new year skiing trip (first ski holiday) and would first like to say thank you for all the great info I have found on this website over the last few months.

Secondly I am looking to get away again (hooked???) from 27 March to April 3/4, My gf is a teacher (lots of holidays but at useless times, Boo!) and this year her easter hols are falling a week earlier than most other schools meaning cheap ferry, accommodation etc. the main thing I am looking for is advice on which resort for guaranteed snow? I have looked into courchevel, les deux alpes, tignes, valmorel and val thorens, but dont know if all would be guarenteed snow any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS I know Val Thorens is a sure bet but I would like to try another resort if possible.

Many thanks again
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nollafb, Welcome to snowHeads - another one hooked, in both cases.

All the places you mentioned will be fine for skiing that week as they are high up. After Val Thorens, you might like a change of culture or style. I would not rule out Austria at that time. I know many resorts are low, but they have a good late snow record and you would see a completely different style of ski culture. Austrian instruction is also very good. Much cheaper than France too.

If you want to stick with France then add La Plagne to your list. Very good for cruisy blues.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nollafb, Welcome!

I'd agree with Chris Bish, about Austria. If you want something cheap and cheerful, try the Ski Amade area, in fact one of our own Flangesax runs a place out there in Raadstadt which is relatively small but good links to rest of the area. Drop him a PM for more info
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Plagne is high enough to be snow sure then - similar to Val Thoren in the sense that it is French and large ski area. Should suit your 2nd week level, too.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nollafb, another high altitude major resort with pretty much guaranteed snow is Cervinia in Italy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
La plagne sounds like a great idea. I initially only was looking at France as I know the travel times (driving) aren't too bad, but Austria only seems to add an hour to the drive compared to Val T and La Plagne. So now doesn't seem like a bad idea either.

Thanks for the info, I like the look of Valmorel, and they have a great offer on at the time, 2 free days ski pass and 2 free days accomodation, meaning accommodation £200 for the week plus 134.95 Euro for each ski pass. which after Val t at new year seems like bargain of the year!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I should say though that as far as i can see Valmorel is the only one that may struggle with snow????
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You never know with snow, but I doubt whether Valmorel will be any different to the other nearby resorts. It is not particularly the resort height you have to worry about, but suitable runs at a decent altitude. If you spot a good deal then go for it. There should be plenty of options that week, so there is no need to rush.

As second weekers, you will not need a huge resort. The French mega-resorts (your initial list, more or less) are expensive for lift passes as they offer a huge amount of terrain and lots of lifts. In your second week, you really only need 40km or so. Why spend all that money on a lift pass for 250+ km you will not use? A smaller resort might be better for you is what I am saying.

Nice problem to have though....

snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why not try Ste Foy, its between Les Arcs and Val d'Isere always snow there until the end of April and the pistes are deserted too!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We are going to Montgenevre that week. It is supposed to have a good snow record and linked to the milky way.

Although haven't yet been to montgenevre so my research could be completely wrong!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
According to the maps I have seen much of the Valmorel skiing is below 2000m, not sure I would book that one particularly early for end of march. Probably normally decent as much is north facing but if it is hot it will slush up early.

snowymum,
Montgevre is usually good at that time.

Could try going through to La Thuile which faces North and East or skiing it from the La Ros though this is south facing.
Decently high good snow record and less busy and expensive than the Tarentaise mega resorts.

I like Serre CHe but it is a bit furthur to drive, Thee Maurienne has plenty of reasonably priced resorts which should suit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy