Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice - Resort for family with non-skiing wife / mum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Looking for some advice. Hopefully going skiing later this year with the wife and kids (after my lads trip) and need to help as to choice of resort.

The kids are: 3 year old boy - first time, hopefully will do a little bit of skiing but mainly creche playing in snow etc, and a 6 year old girl - 1 weeks skiing 2 years ago and is very keen to learn more.

My wife had a a weeks skiing a couple of years ago but did not really get on with it that well (sore knee, perhaps not the best instructors), and is not bothered about skiing again but enjoys the mountains and wants to do photography, wondering round resort, nice lunches etc. So what we are looking for is a family friendly resort with some decent skiing for me, but also has some non-skiing related entertainment for my wife. Any suggestions?

I've been to a few resorts and if my wife was skiing I would have thought Flaine fit the bill, but perhaps not ideal for non-skier with interest in photography!!!

Had a breif look at Saas Fee? Any other suggestions. Hope you can help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
reded78, Wengen. The wandering round opportunities are endless - Grindelwald, Murren, Lauterbrunnen, Jungfraujoch etc can all be reached by train - and lots of good mountain restaurants are also accessible to non-skiers, so that skiers and non-skiers can meet for lunch. I used to ski a lot with a non-skier (if you see what I mean) and we never found anywhere better. Chamonix is OK too, but there I think a car would be useful (also to the skier(s) - it's very nice being picked up if you descend to a place other than the one you're staying in! wink )
Edit: I don't have any experience of facilities for kids in Wengen, but I imagine they're fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
reded78, How worried are you about your skiing, off-piste or quite happy cruising?
Davos
Kitzbuhel
Megeve
Zell am See
Maybe Chamonix
Seefeld
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Zermatt?

Photography - best scenery in the world.
Lunches - best mountain restaurants in the world, allegedly.
Nice town.
Lotsa skiing.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
reded78,
I'd suggest La Tania, a friend of mine with a non skiing partner goes there every year.

Car free resort so the kids can play in safety, nice tree lined green to get back down for learners, regular bus to Courchevel and more skiing than you can shake a stick at.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys for the heads up - will have a look at the suggestions, although I know I don't fancy Chamonix, what with kids, buses etc. Ski in ski out would be very handy.

Louis, would be looking at mianly on-piste for me - not done any off piste yet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Zermatt must be the best bet. Snow could be useful, and much as I like the low Austrian resorts, unless you can leave booking till late they are a bit of a risk.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
twoodwar, yeah snow would be handy. Thankfully we can go a week or 2 before the main school easter holidays start so should make it a little easier on the wallet and for less crowding hopefully.

Zermat certainly seems to fit the bill - anyone know what it's like for child friednly hotel / lessons etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Wengen. ... I used to ski a lot with a non-skier (if you see what I mean) and we never found anywhere better.

Glad to hear you say that, Hurtle, we are off there tomorrow and I will be the one not skiing! Pleased to say I am very much looking forward to a break in the mountains even though I am a little bit jealous of the skiers...

reded78, I think Wengen also has a very good snow record for March/April. Zermatt is beautiful but I imagine Wengen could be a bit less expensive, and also easier to get to the pistes. We picked it for this holiday because I wanted it to be a bit easier to meet up with the skiers at lunchtime if I wanted to. I'm sure you would have a great time at either though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NatalieG, have a great time!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you Hurtle! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the tips guys - the wife is currently looking through Flickr to see which one has the best looking shots. Wengen and Zermatt currenly looking favorite.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why not try a classical Napoleonic Spa Town with its own ski station. Fantastic architecture, great scenery and lots of none skiing things to do.

Bagneres de Luchon in the Pyrenees - Ski Superbagneres & Peyragudes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd reconsider Chamonix - Loads to do there for non-skiers and the kids (when they need a break from the Skiing), including the Montenvers Train to the Mare de Glace, Mt Blanc midi station, loads of shopping and pleasant walks. My wife doesn't ski and my two little ones could only really ski for half a day - we had a great week in Chamonix.

Furgie.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy