Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel from St Anton to Laax

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone driven from St Anton to Laax? If so what is the drive like and how much time will it take?

I will be in St Anton next week. Thinking about heading over to Laax the following week. It appears they are receiving more snow than St Anton.

Any other recommendations for expert skiers seeking north facing (out of the sun) terrain within driving distance from St Anton? No need for big name resorts just great conditions.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Takes about 2hrs by Car.

Stuben is all North Facing and is on the St Anton lift Pass.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton has plenty of snow for January - I was only there a 2 weeks ago - and its a much bigger area than Flims / Laax if you include all the other Arlberg resorts. There is plenty of north facing terrain to be had - the non-north facing stuff is excellent and should keep most expert skiiers happpy - I strongly recommend you get a guide if you go off-piste as this is a big ski area and is famous for making most skiiers feel inadequate - no matter how good you are.

In terms of nth facing runs in-resort, my favourites include skiing off-piste down the northern slope of the Seibactal(?) from the top of the Galzig down to 'happy valley' (blue no. 4 run). The Stubai area is totally nth facing (and cold!) and can be reached by skiing all the way down the blue 17 run to the end (and continuing under the road). Rendl, Stubai, Zurs and Sonenkof(?) have lots of 'off the back' opportunities but you would need a guide as these are treacherous some of the runs involve routes that end up in pretty villages and you need to get a train back to St Anton. Zurs and Sonenkof involve getting the bus with the latter from the main road at Stubai. pistetopowder.com offer reasonably priced group guiding in St Anton.

In terms of travel to Laax - the easiest way is to get the express train from St Anton directly to Zurich which takes 2 hours. There is also a bus service called the Arlberg Express which goes to Zurich but takes about 3 hours. You can plan the rest of the journey from Zurich on sbb.ch. I don't know about driving.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
St. Anton - Laax should be straightforward, motorway all the way apart from the last bit up into Laax after Chur. That section is not difficult, either. I haven't made the drive, but I'd say 3 hours.

More importantly, Laax is mostly south facing, and there are probably better options for experts.

My immediate advice would be Engelberg (think two Crystal Mountains on top of each other). But where are are flying in and out of? Munich v. Zürich would make a difference. Also, the Eastern Alps are about to get hammered, so I wouldn't necessarily base any decisions on how things look now.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd have though the dirve is more like 2 hours via Feldkirch, Sargans and Chur - I drove the different parts of the route, though mostly in the other direction at either end of the Christmas week and it was fine.

Andermatt's another optoin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy