Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Info....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all... Due to problems getting time off work I can't get my usual fix on the continent this year. Given the great snow fall this year in Scotland I'm considering a few weekend jollies up there.

Having not been skiing up there before I'd like to get some info on what the best resorts are and where best to stay.

I've read Aviemore is a good bet for somewhere to stay - is there any sort of apres ski - pubs/clubs etc?

Where is best to ski? Where are the longest runs and are there any half decent on mountain bars/restaurants?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Cheers all...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scotland is...nothing like you've ever done before. Not really resorts, its more snowy hills, some of which are near towns!

I think at the moment the east has the best of the snow, and on that side Cairngorm has the longest runs/most vert (but is still very humble compared to the alps ofcourse). Aviemore is a short drive away (20mins? Ive only been a few times) and is good base as its a fully functioning town, so you'll find places to stay, eat, and drink, along with some shops etc.

The only other place I have visited is Glencoe. I wouldnt say that Glencoe has any pistes, more like trails, a bit bumpy, and steep snowHead so a nice challenge. Doesnt have accom as close by as CG.

Ofcourse I'd need to recommend www.winterhighland.info for info and news on the Scottish hills. Plenty experts in the Scottish stuff there and a good few on here too.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right now the most snow is at Cairngorm and Lecht the other resorts have less but more than enough to keep you happy...
If you stay in aviemore and you are 10 mins from cairngorm and 1 hour from Lecht and Nevis.
If stay in Fort william and you are 10 mins from Nevis 30 mins from glencoe and just over 1 hour from Cairngorm.
If you stay in Perth (much larger than Aviemore and Fort William) you 1 hour from Glenshee and an hour and a 1/2 from Cairngorm and Nevis
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey fishern, Aviemore is the closest place you'll find to an Alpine resort, in fact at the moment it's absolutely buzzing and generally there's always something happening there - check the local What's on for details - http://www.visitaviemore.com/whatson

IMHO in Perth & Fort William you just wouldn't get the same snowsports buzz you get in Aviemore but each has it's positives - Perth is a city so has all thne amenities and is closer to Glenshee but there are other more local towns and villages more convenient for The 'Shee. Fort William is a town in a beautiful lochside location and has some good snowsports shops (Ellis Brighams and Nevis) and some great restaurants (The Crannog seafood restaurant is great as is The Everest for great apres ski curries). However it is one of those towns that's seems to have more than it's fair share of charity shops and a slightly dowdy feel to parts of it's main street and certainly, at least when I've been there, doesn't feel particularly like a ski town.

You will have to drive or bus it to Cairngorm from there but it's the closest town to the mountain. It's also not too difficult to get to a number of other ski areas because all apart from Glenshee are within an hour and a bits drive.

Currently the snow is totally awesome at Cairngorm so that would be a good option but be aware the crowds are liable to be very big at weekends, that's when it might be an idea to try somewhere else for a day or two - The Lecht, which is about 50 mins to an hour away, is mainly known as a beginners resort and the runs are quite short but it's has a couple of more challenging runs. Nevis Range, around one and a quarter hours away, has some great stuff but the real jewel in the crown there is the Back Corries which offer great semi-off-pise runs in a powder bowl at the back, the back is more often open later in the season though when it fills up with more snow. Glencoe is another option which is 30 to 40 mins beyond Nevis and is, IMHO, the real hidden jem of Scottish skiing - it's awesome place if you like an experience that's challenging, raw and closer to nature and has a buzz all of it's own.

As has already been mentioned Winterhighland is a great place to get information and see the latest piccies from the slopes - best of luck snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy