Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich car hire

Poster: A snowHead
Any recomendations for car hire at Munich Airport? Who's cheapest, on or off airport etc. Ta.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 7-01-10 18:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We just booked through Auto Europe, but that's at Salzburg, which might or not be relevent
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have no recommendations or un-recommendations except to point out the Thrifty is off-airport at Munich, accessed via a shuttle transfer.

We booked through Holiday Autos and only realised after getting the confirmation, so watch out for that if it is important to you.

D
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've booked a few times through skycars.com, which have good deals with Sixt in Munich. I have a reservation with them in 10 days. Very good prices, Sixt right at the airport, no shuttles, etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We just booked via Thrifty (10% off code GER10). As of January....Thrifty is supposed to have moved directly into the airport terminal - no longer shuttle. Well at least this is what their website stated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater, Currently in Kappl, flew into Munich using Hertz. Please do not not use Hertz. Was promised a VW Passat estate or Mondeo estate and got a Kia Ce'ed - fu**ing shi*e. Took around 1.5 hours to get sorted. Don't know if any of the others are better.
Also met an elderly American couple who were seriously messed about by Hertz whilst in queue - drove 3 hours from Munich with non snow tyres and told tp drop off at some place (I forget where) to pick up new car with snow tyres, only to be told when there that they had none and therefore had to drive back 3 hours in car to Munich. Seriously terrible customer service
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prices vary, so I usually do a trawl of:

Holiday Autos - using the discount link flagged up on snowHead (NB. not always cheapest):
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount

Expedia

Opodo

Easycar

Travelsupermarket
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
redhead0209, if that is true, that is great news, as we have early arrival and departure so wasn't looking forward to having to shuttle with 10 people and bags and skis etc.

Will be there on 22nd so will know for sure then I guess!

Thanks for info, you may just have made my day!

D
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Deliaskis -
That is the only reason why we went with Thrifty. However I am hesitant as when I contacted them they just quoted their website and also proceeded to tell me that they didn't have snow tires. So, I am a bit leary. however, I do know that the rental counter area is under construction, as Budget is closed and their clients are directed to the AVIS counter. So, I will keep my fingers crossed until the 27th!

Good luck
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
redhead0209, I bit the bullet and booked winter tyres and paid for them, even though it's a rip-off as most of the cars have them on anyway.

If you asked for 'snow tyres' as opposed to winter tyres they may have thought you were asking for studded tyres?

I will try and post from Blackberry to let you know!

D
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thrify was a nightmare last time is was there a few weeks ago and was delayed till quite late in the evening. hoofed all the way to the rental car area to find they are off airport and walked miles back to get the shuttle bus. long transfer from airport and if flight delayed past their closing time 11pm (or maybe 12) they charge you 50 euros to get there. although had booked an estate we ended up with a car with no fold down seats and had the skis inside plus they charged our cc 1,000 euro for damage up front which although was refunded didnt seem to bode well for damage on return. never again....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always use carhire3000.com who are a broker and always get good deals for the main rental companies. They also have Excess waiver insurance fior a small fee. ie. if you crash the car, you pay the full excess to the hire company and then claim it back form them.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi to all you January skiers using Thrifty at Munich airport.
I am taking the family at half term 12th Feb & did my usual carhire 3000 which has always worked great anywhere in Europe but I am getting vibes about the Munich Thrifty thing. I will be very very grateful for the full report on their performance-- delay, wrong car, no winter tyres & verified pick-up point etc.
Time is of the essence as I will not be able to get the same deal closer to the dept date (assuming I can wriggle out of original booking ?).
I have booked a Focus estate with winter tyres (£70 more than non W.) but don`t see any winterisation option info (or Focus estates) on their site!!

Good snow to you all.
baldydad in manchester
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Watch out for the Holiday Auto's car hire deals being offered on the net. They use Thirfty. Just back and had a hell of a fight with both. Would not recommend them under any circumstances. The depot is located in an industrial estate about 15mins from Munich airport. The price for winter tyres is not whats quoted on the site, also they are going to hit you for €1000 deposite on your credit card, or as they call it a block. This must be with the same card as you booked the car! A shower of shisters!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I booked with holiday auto last Dec. ended up with Thrifty.
no one met us at the airport for the transfer. phoned them to say we werer waiting, 30 mins later they still had not arrived. got a lift to their offices where they asked us for 90 euros extra for winter tyres . I told them to keep the car and went with another firm. I am now waiting for my money back from Holiday Autos. I hire cars aprox 20 weeks a year and Thrifty is the worst firm I have ever used. Never again.
snow report
Can't say for certain, but I'm pretty sure it's now illegal to drive in Munich/Southern Germany without winter tyres on (years ago when I lived there it was always an insurance issue), so I can't see that if you hire a car from the airport in the middle of winter that they would give you a car with anything other than winter tyres on anyway. Which means they're not charging for something that's optional but is on the car anyway. Worth checking out.
ski holidays
Used Thrifty through Holiday Autos last year, didn't know they were off site as HA didn't tell me. Was a bit of a pain as they were running a seven seater shuttle with a small boot and there was a queue.

I have booked with them again as they were the only rental co who would guarantee a big 9 seater at a reasonable price (£340 for 5 days as opposed to £650 with anyone else). In fact they were the only co with a decent size minibus (big merc) all otheres had small VW Caravelle as one of the options which has no boot to speak of, where do you put eight sets of skis and bags?

Thanks for the warning about credit card as I booked car, but am not driver this year, was going to send him on his tod to fetch while the rest of us had a beer. But I did pay for no excess so maybe won't need to take deposit?
ski holidays
Have you thought about the train? Remember it's Germany, public transport is good, it may sav e you a nightmare with rental companies (and £££'s)
snow report
Just got my money back from Holiday Autos, for the car I had booked at Munich airport (Thrifty)
I find Holiday Autos great to book with, as this is the second time I have claimed my rental cost back
First time I double booked the car....Second time was with Thrifty (see above post).
Both times they have paid up with no hassle.
snow report
Just got back from a trip where I used Holiday Autos and ended up with a car from Thrifty. We had to get the shuttle bus to their offsite office to pick the car up but returned the car to the airport. I think this was because they are in the process of moving there over the weekend.

A word of warning about winter tyres. I was asked if I was staying in Germany or driving to Austria when I picked the car up and given a car with winter tyres when I replied Austria. The charge was €13 a day for winter tyres. I was expecting to pay extra (an extra charge seemed to be the case with all hire companies in Munich) but I thought €13 was a bit steep. As I was off site at the time it was too much hassle to cancel, go back to the airport and rebook with someone else.
snow report
I have also booked with Thrifty Munich, via Holiday Autos for the February half term. I have contacted HO and they have confirmed that Thrifty have now moved into the terminal. Good news, should be easier Very Happy . Would have been nice to have been told without having to ask though!!
snow conditions
Got a car from Thrifty today and they are at the airport. But they did not inform us of the move, so was looking outside for the shuttle bus.
The phone number on the booking form is now not correct as it is the old office.
ski holidays
We are just back from Austria and hired from Thrifty Munich airport - as Byron Gates said they are now in the airport, just past the other car rental companies. Cars are in the multi=storey with all the other rental companieis. I pre-booked winter tyres through Holiday Autos when I made the booking and they were only EUR5 per day, so I guess the EUR13 is for people who don't pre-book.

Not all of their cars do have winter tyres (unlike when you collect from somewhere within Austria) so it is important to book them.

FWIW I found the guys on the desk in Munich very friendly and helpful, and it was all very efficient with no problems to report. I know people have had issues and I imagine the off-site thing was a pain, but that is no longer an issue.

As an aside, I like the rental car return system at Munich, you drive in to one of the big rows (you are guided in) much like when you are getting on a ferry, and they check fuel and damage right there with you and give you a confirmation report, so there is no question of surprise charges for mystery damage after you get home.

D
snow conditions
Sorry to bump again, but I forgot to mention that Thrifty don't charge for extra drivers if it is a married couple. Just thought this might be useful for people to know as we have a group trip with several vehicles and it makes sense to put married couples on one car where possible to avoid the charge.

I've realised that this may end up being controversial (knowing snowHead), so would just like to add that I am just posting this as I haven't come across it before, and it might help some people to know this in advance. So to those who may over-react, I would like to make it clear that I'm not in favour of...yer know...social engineering or whatever, and I am sure this news won't have people rushing to the altar to save the EUR3 a day or whatever, or maybe it will... wink .

D
ski holidays
Since HA didn't tell me Thrifty had moved again, we taxied out (and back) to old office, now chasing HA for £60. Had the most ridiculous tel call with them. Your voucher says x, no it doesn't, oh yes it does, oh no it doesn't etc. Thank god Mayrhofen was better than ever. Still hoarse from singing "Hey, wir wollen die Eisbären sehen"
latest report
Ive always found http://www.billiger-mietwagen.de to be the cheapest when booking in Germany, german only but not too hard to work it out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy