Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow in the UK - Cheer up!!

Poster: A snowHead
It is just me or does anyone else think that the people of Britain need to cheer up and enjoy the rare event that is snow in the UK.

I understand that it has caused loads of chaos (and I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere) but everyone just looks so miserable! Does no-one remember what it is like to forget their worries and act like a child at Christmas even for a couple of hours. Its not like it happens everyday. And being miserable is NOT going to make the snow stop!

I'd love to hear any stories of what people have been up to in the snow-I just saw on tv a guy iceskating on his cul-de-sac - now thats more like it!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there was a guy ski ing down Dean St ( a slope) in Newcastle City Centre on the telly last night
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just skied down Parliament Hill (Hampstead Heath) London a couple of times, Then all the way down to the road (more than half a mile, downhill all the way though I skated a bit on the last bit by the Lido). Some kids got quite excited seeing a skier whizz by. Good fun and sets me up for France in 8 days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
buffalo0503, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead I'm just annoyed that I don't have my own skis so that I could try them out on the small hill near where I live!

snowball, snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm annoyed that depite having lots of skis they're all in France, leaving me nothing to play on rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball, good effort. I need a little more snow before being able to do the same in Richmond Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've just attempted to board on the 'hill' behind me - lets just say 'little snow = no turning'! A message to whoever built the snowman - he's just gone into surgery and he will have a new arm very soon! Blush
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm gutted there was very little snow in Bournemouth. Wanted to take my skis out for a quick bash before I too hit France in 8 days.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
buffalo0503, I'm with you on that one. It's all "traffic chaos" and "more to come". I looked out of my living room today and saw some of the deepest snow I've seen in my lifetime on what I think is the lawn outside.

Ski lessons on Saturday on a "dry ski slope" with three inches of snow on top. Bring on more!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

there was a guy ski ing down Dean St ( a slope) in Newcastle City Centre on the telly last night

I bought skis from that shop on New Years Eve and they were talking about it then so looks like they got their wish Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm loving it! I'm having the week from hell at work but stepping outside and seeing all the lovely snow instantly lifts my spirits. I may be slightly biased though. Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty much all the sloping fields near me have been quite inconveniently ploughed/planted! Mind you were there someone to go out to play with, I reckon we'd find something skiable - not so much fun solo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
was planning to go out tomorrow and find a hill but its just 6" to 8" of crust tpday Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks guys, my faith in the british publics' ability to have fun is almost restored!

As a celebration I am currently building the South's first outdoor REAL SNOW BAR! Opening night is tomorrow and everyone is welcome.
I did apply for a liquor license but I got an auto reply stating that due to the extreme weather, no licenses are being granted at the moment as the offices are closed, and that they would be intouch when the offices reopen - just as soon as all of the snow has melted!...Guess its vin chaud without the vin!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well work as normal for me so no chance to enjoy the loads of snow round here, we didn't get as much as many parts of the country but the council does seem reasonably well prepared so the roads stay clear
snow report
As I posted on another thread, I did a few laps of our estate the other day - great fun Toofy Grin . Mind you I was a bit grumpy when I got stuck in the deep stuff outside the house today Mad
got myself out with a few strips of the old axminster Smile
snow report
A guy was XC skiing around the office car park today Smile
snow conditions
buffalo0503 wrote:
It is just me or does anyone else think that the people of Britain need to cheer up and enjoy the rare event that is snow in the UK.

I'm cheery but snow in the UK isn't a rare event, there's snow in the UK most months of the year (if not all) and I'm not referring to domes! Snow in the most populated parts of southern England is a rare thing - there's a slight difference!

Stay cheery and have fun is good though and I do get a bit fed up with all the moaning about the economic affects etc - it's a few days for goodness sake and if people are going to head out and buy a new TV or blue ray player or whatever they'll just postpone it until the snow goes and buy then - I don't see a momentary break from mass consumerism is a bad thing at all anyway to be honest so I'm happy Very Happy
ski holidays
I am stuck out in the Alps with no ski gear or even vaguely appropriate clothing having popped across for a day of meetings - flight back into Gatwick cancelled at the last minute last night and nothing out until tomorrow afternoon. Permission to carry on being a misery about the UK weather?
snow report
Yes I suspect there are a few (hundred) snowHead snowHead had their flights cancelled or worrying they will not get to the ski holiday they have saved all year for.
latest report
To be fair roga, I don't think the economic effects people talk about are really retail, as I am sure there has also been a spate of panic-buying in some sectors as well. But it is hard for businesses to keep the cash flowing if staff can't make it in to deliver work, and deliveries aren't arriving or leaving - or for can't, read won't, which is where the problem really is I suspect. Our year end is end of Jan and if we lose even a few days of productivity due to absenteeism, either here or at our clients (if they aren't there to approve or progress their side of things), then it is going to have an effect on our end of year figures.

Agree though in retail it's probably not going to have a long term effect.

Having said that, I am super cheery and don't mind the weather at all and have got into work in almost a foot of snow followed by ice every day, but not everyone has.

The culture of what I am going to start calling 'snowedinism' is annoying though, I have a friend who lives on my road, who is posting on facebook that she has had to have a 5th day off work as she is 'snowed in', well she's not, and I've not even had a day off work. Snowed in means you can't open your door and your car is a vague mound somewhere out there, not that it might take you a bit longer to clear your windscreen and a few attempts to get off your (flat) side street onto the gritted and cleared main road. One day I did have a few clearance probs in my car cos of snow depth, but perservered and since then, there has really been no excuse to not get to work.

D
snow report
Deliaskis, yeah fair points and I agree.

The snowed in point is a good one, I have a friend who is a full time instructor up at Cairngorm (I'm part-time) and he doesn't get paid if he isn't available for work. He was genuinely snowed in the day before yesterday, I've seen the photos and there's something like a metre of snow around his place. He has snow tyres on his car but when he got back from the mountain the other day the car got stuck and he had to climb out the window 'coz the door wouldn't open - too much snow. he's had to spend the last day and a half digging his house and car out - now that is snowed in! snowHead

Now he's out he can earn again and stock up with food (and booze wink ) again - all incentives to get the shovel out and go for it!

When I was up in Aviemore over the festive season the amount of snow was immense (more than anything in England or most of the rest of Scotland I'll wager, even down the road on the Drumochter there seemed to be less snow than the Carrbridge/Aviemore area) and there were travel hassles at times (including a freight train derailment at Carrbridge) but people got the shovels and grit out and did something about it, perhaps they're just more used to it!

The main issue down south (in southern England) for me is the number of numpties on the road who haven't a clue how to drive in snow and ice. This IMHO does create more danger and hassle on the roads and does make me question whether it's sensible to be on the roads after a fall of snow in Bristol whereas I'm far less nervous driving with four or five times the amount of snow in Aviemore.

Seriously awesome skiing up there at the moment though and probs less hassle getting there than the Alps at the moment which brings me onto the point that I do feel very sorry for the people whose holidays are being disrupted or cancelled as a result of all the flight chaos etc.
snow report
roga, you're right, I think in a lot of cases, it's just another example of people not being willing to get up out of the house and take a bit of control of what is happening. It's sitting at home waiting for things to change/someone else to sort it out, rather than taking any ownership of their own lives.

In the current conditions, if they're actually waiting for a thaw, they're going to have long wait! Perhaps they will get hungry once they have eaten everything in the house and will need to go out to Tescos, ...wait...they are already doing that! Tescos car park full yesterday probably with all the people who were 'snowed in' and couldn't get to work.

Agree about numpties on the road, driving me up the wall although not into a massive snowdrift yet, fortunately. The thing is that snow and ice in general on a couple of occasions during winter is really not that unusual for vast parts of the UK. I know there has been a greater volume of snow than we have had in recent years, but the fact that people feel they can't venture out in any white stuff suggests that they need to go back to driving school. In the UK we should be ready willing and able to drive with frost, ice and some snow.

Usual caveats, in some cases, not all, blah blah...

D
snow report
Everyone at work has done nothing but moan about it, whereas I have been hoping and praying it sticks around until the weekend so I can enjoy it properly! Very Happy
ski holidays
I was lucky enough to be staying in Bracknell for work the day the big snow came! I waivered over trying to drive back to Nottingham rather than stay over but thought I'd risk it. About 8 inches of snow on the car, but a quick clearing session shifted it, lovely fluffy powder.

Set off to go into the office but the road was closed so thought "sod it - go home". The roads didn't seem too bad and there was hardly anyone about. The trip back was OK but it was eye opening to see the driving.

HGVs - continue as if nothing had happened. They all seemed to be still doing 56mph regardless and no more stopping distance than normal.

Cars - generally drive a bit slower but maintain a car length gap between you and car in front. As using lane 2 or 3 was sometimes unwise this resulted in long trains of cars waiting for the first one to get it wrong!

Buses - congrats to National Express for getting there on time. Even if it means being 6 feet behind the car in front! Perhaps they've been trained to use cars as snow ploughs...

Respect though to the Merc driver that followed me for half the trip, keep a good space behind and obviously decided I was going fast enough.

To the Volvo XC90 driver that just had to show he could drive in a straight line 5mph faster than the rest of us by using the uncleared outside lane of a dual carriageway. Well done - just a shame he had to drop to 10 mph to go around a cleared sliproad - numpty!
snow conditions
I'm not best impressed if I have to go and drive on untreated roads (must just give Maldon Town council a big hand here, admittedly we haven't had as much snow as some, but went to Maldon this morning - no snow/ice on any road I drove on), but I welcome the snow in the UK with an almost child like glee. It transforms the place and always looks so magical, I wish I was closer to a togoggan slope!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy