Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avalanche gear in hand luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm deciding what to carry in my hand luggage as I've been right on the 20kg weight limit on my last couple of trips & my ski bag is pretty close to the weight limit too.

Has anyone had any trouble getting an avalanche shovel through airport security? Don't want some over zealous security guard claim that the handle's a weapon & confiscating it Shocked I've already ruled out my probe due to it's pointed end.

I also wonder what they'd make of a transceiver?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, you might be ok with the transceiver, but the shovel will definately be a no no, it will definately be regarded as a potential weapon
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've never had a problem being a couple of kilos over the limit, it's only when you take the mick that they seem to charge. Or perhaps I've just been lucky?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon,have always carried the sensitive things(camera's,video,radios etc)in hand luggage,no problems.As DGO rightly says,no chance with a shovel Shocked Best persuade Deb to leave some of the high heels behind.Never thought they were quite 'you' anyway wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think this came up before on another similar topic.

You cannot even take Squash or Tennis Raquets into the cabin. I deffinitly know this from experience.

I wouldnt risk it. Just carry your passport & ticket everthing else in Check in . Its far more relaxing than hording carry-on bags.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Of course the funny thing is that almost anything can be used as a dangerous weapon, even a magazine or newspaper when rolled up tightly becomes as effective as a wooden pole, which if you know what you are doing is a very lethal weapon ! Even something as inocuous as a tie is lethal in the right hands, terrorists usually recieve at least some training in these sort of things, so apart from banning the obvious weapons such as knives and guns there's not really any point in restricing anything else, I guess it's just a further example of the nanny state Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, too right, same goes for bare hands, feet and head.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
laundryman, yep, the next round of precautions will I expect require all passengers to be locked in their seats in a similar manner to that shown in movies like con-air !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DG Orf,with the amount of seat space you get,I already feel 'locked in' wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowskisnow, you think you've got it bad, be grateful you're not my size Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf,
Quote:

I guess it's just a further example of the nanny state

My experience with the squash racquet was in Schiphol & München its pretty much international airport security policy now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
This says it all but it also says individual airlines have extra precautions so best check with them

Airport travel & security tips
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
D G Orf wrote:
I guess it's just a further example of the nanny state Confused

I don't think it's the nanny state so much as 'the authorities' trying to appear to be doing something about a problem which is insoluble, other than by stopping commercial passenger aviation.

It is noteworthy that despite disarming people of nail files and the like at 'security', airports pretend that the glass bottles and inflammable aerosols available in duty free (to give just two items) are innocuous.

Are any snowHeads in the airport or similar security business? How much difficulty would a group of well trained and well funded terrorists have in getting onto a 'plane with the materials necessary to take it over and/or cause it to crash? My guess is very little, but I know nothing about it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

well funded terrorists have in getting onto a 'plane with the materials necessary to take it over and/or cause it to crash?

Shouldnt think they martyr themselves on a skiers flight to Geneva or Zurich not exactly the same impact (sorry about the Pun) as the Twin Towers stunt ! They'd want to up there current record of 3000 dead Sad
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've taken transceivers in my hand luggage without problems.

I remember a couple of years ago at Geneva airport looking in a preflight shop..... which was selling Swiss army knives !
snow report
snowball, they were still selling them last year when I went through Confused
ski holidays
I believe that knives are now only available land side of security, but I wouldn't be surprised. When did the Swiss ever let anyone's well being get in the way of a few quid?
snow report
richmond, oh that's good, sell them on the land side, when people only have their hand luggage, then they go through security which takes the knives off them, I wonder if they get sold back to the shops ?
latest report
D G Orf, it's called recycling and is Switzerland's contribution to protecting the environment.
snow report
richmond, that would not surprise me Laughing
snow conditions
A few years ago I had a 'swiss knife/tool in a credit card' set taken from me at Vancouver airport, I had forgotten it was in my carry on bag. I was thus really flabergasted to visit Crete in the summer and find they were still being sold in duty free after security..... Puzzled
ski holidays
If you have checked in and get to security and realise you still have your knife in your pocket (and you have a few minutes to spare), find a shop that sells padded envelopes and mail it to yourself. (How many other people have had to do this?)
snow report
Discovered I'd left my letherman in my backpack when I got to security in Luton Airport. Very helpful, allowed me to exit departures go back to easyjet and put my backpack through as hold baggage.
ski holidays
colinmcc, I've lost two of those Swiss Army credit-card type thingies like that! Some people never learn rolling eyes It's so daft though, because most people could inflict more damage with their bare hands than with the flimsy implements in those things! Hang on, I already said that. rolling eyes
latest report
A metal ball point pen has always struck me as a perfect weapon. They are almost as sharp as a knife point and have added advantage of being able to conceal other "bits" inside. Who ever checks a ball point?
latest report
snowball, me, twice.
snow report
On a recent trip, I checked into Birmingham airport with hand-luggage only. It wasn't until I was going through security that I remembered my penknife was in my bag. The security guys where very good about it: sent me off to the shop to buy an envelope and a few stamps, went back to security and they posted my penknife home. I though I'd lost it! Very Happy
snow report
David@traxvax, you were lucky. That happened to me at Zurich and they just took it off me. Wouldn't let me do anything at all, just had to hand it over Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like good security but I hate inconsistency. Took a small pair of nail clippers (the ones that look like wire cutters - but the 'blade' section is only ~ 1cm long) on a hand baggage only trip to Tokyo. On the last security check of a multi-sector trip in LHR T1, they took them off me. Held up the queue while he searched for them. Wouldn't tell me what he was looking for so I could help. If the guy just fancied a pair of clippers, he's now discovered the spring was busted anyway. wink
Some airlines still insist on plastic cutlery (they need to buy better quality steak - the crappy white plastic knives just won't hack it) and some have reverted to metal. A full-sized wine bottle grabbed off the trolly, or a broken glass is a handy weapon. But I suppose you can't make everything terrorist proof.
snow conditions
snowball, Swiss air actually used to sell swiss army knifes on the plane! They don't now!

On an internal flight from Delhi to Kulu in the Himalaya loads of our group had pen knifes taken off them from hand luggage. They where all neatly labeld up with the pasengers names so they could be given back at the other end. As I sat in the little 14 seater I looked back and noticed the bundle of knifes just loose on a seat next to where the hostess sat, just waiting for anyone to grab them!!

Security just for show is rather amusing sometimes....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy