Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet break-in in Les Gets - beware

Poster: A snowHead
We returned to our chalet this afternoon having been out for about 3 hours - to find the lock had been broken on our front door - I didn't realise at first, OH was sweeping snow and I picked up a bit of lock and he thought it was from the roof box which has seen better days, so I tossed to one side and opened the door - which he had already said he had not yet unlocked. Penny dropped when I looked at the lock on both sides - just a big hole.

Doors then open into the rest of the chalet and strangely an outside broom in the hallway. We can only think that an accomplice stood outside looking busy until they got in.

Cash that I had left in the living room, with bank card, gone, OH's wallet, and then both my handbags with my wallet and passport. So lots more cash and all credit cards except the one I had in my ski jacket today. We can eat and put petrol in the car!

Drawers all pulled out in the bedrooms as they had searched for more cash, cushions on sofas all thrown around too - but so far we can't see anything else that has gone other than a lovely big bag bought in NY in November which they must have thrown my handbags into. Sadly that had my filofax so I now don't know when I am expected where.

And the passport was only delivered here two days ago from the embassy in Paris as it had been stolen on our journey down here back in December - so back to filling out all those forms again.

When OH went down to the Gendarmerie after their visit here to complete the report he met up with the gendarme from Tanignes who had taken all our details back in December. He was very sympathetic and helped with the form filling.

New locks now need to be organised so OH off to Brico to get bolts at least for tonight. Leaves a nasty feeling in the stomach though.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pamski, that is terrible and I really feel so sorry for you Shocked but make sure when you replace the lock that you use multi point locks (rather than a single lock) that are quite hard to kick in, or fit 3 separate locks.

Also remember that burgulars often return a few weeks later so be on you guard !

but atleast you have some pow Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scousers in town then ?

Tin hat on Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry to hear about that - hope you all get sorted, and have hassle free claims from your insurers.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pamski, what a horrible experience, and really bad luck to have had two such incidents in such a short time. I really feel for you - hope you can begin to have confidence in the security of your home again soon.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pamski, Bad luck.. Sorry to hear that..Will take some time to get over the feelings of being violated, but at the end of the day that's what insurance companies are for and you guys are all ok.

halfhand, No but probably a few others russian around...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pamski, Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pamski,

Sorry to hear the break in. Don't hear much of a French property broken into in a resort during the skiing season. Must bring a bad name to Let Gets. Hope the Gendarme will sort this out quickly.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Time to get a St Bernard methinks. Surprised there are any break-ins at all, but then most of us only see the holiday resorts as a lovely place we all go to to enjoy ourselves, and can't imagine criminals operating in the mountains. Clearly there are thieves about, and not just opportunists.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, Laughing

Pamski chin up, hope you get back to normal soon. Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pamski, I was so sad to read your post. You really seemed to have made it home so that makes it worse. Crying or Very sad

Hope they catch the b******* who did it.

Shame about the passport though, Gee you must be stuck in a pretty ski resort, shame wink

Good job you and OH were together. Be strong

ps guess why I'm browsing the snowHead forum? naughty but cant resist.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pamski, very sorry to read that, and wish you well. I don't associate this kind of crime with ski resorts, and actually can't recall anything similar.

It's a salutary warning that you always have to be a step ahead of thieves. I found a big steel bar next to my bike in London a couple of years ago. Someone had tried to lever the U-lock open, which is commonly done successfully. I'd spent a lot of money on the lock (I thought too much) but it proved to be tougher than the thief.

In London, burglars sometimes smash the entire door to get into a property, so people fit reinforced doors.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
halfhand that comment was disgusting! If you have not got anything constructive to say them maybe dont leave a comment at all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skibluetiger, your comment will bounce off halfhand, as the Tin Hat has already been donned.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On a previous trip to Les Gets the hotel where we were staying, the owner was convinced that the crime in the village - car problems mainly that year (2005) was caused by the Brits, and the owner was a Brit.
snow report
Thanks to you all for the kind words - we think it was someone or two just out to get cash and maybe cards which is why they got it all plus by taking my handbags. New locks being fitted this afternoon.

We have managed a quick ski this morning but wow is it cold out there today. And a very kind friend is supplying some cash which will be carefully guarded.
snow report
skibluetiger, calm down, calm down Toofy Grin Another plastic scouser (albeit a well balanced one - chip on both shoulders) chucking his bling out of his pram. rolling eyes
ski holidays
Its her actually. But your not worth it!
ski holidays
Pamski, horrible experience and not what we all expect in Les Gets - sadly looks like you need to be prepared for this kind of thing just about anywhere now! chrisb there was a small rash of probs towards the end of the season a couple of years ago and it was "yoofs" coming up from the estates in towns within an hour or two of ski resorts - I've never really seen any evidence of Brits being to blame (bad singing in the streets at 2 am yes, burglary no).
latest report
Ernst Goldsmith,
Quote:

I don't associate this kind of crime with ski resorts, and actually can't recall anything similar

Well this type of crime (or wheels being stolen from cars wink ) is not exactly going to be the subject of a ski resort press release and thus unlikely to appear on Google news search Toofy Grin
latest report
ctskifam, definitely not what we expect - having said that I know of three other chalets quite close to us over the past few year have been burgled. Two of these had either left a door unlocked or key in stupid place, the other just had the garage door which was hidden from the road jemmied. Our door faces the main road up to the school so quite visible - if there was anyone around of course.

We had a bit of 'yoof'/bad singing plonking up through our garden last night so it seems this morning. OH thought he heard a noise - I was blissfully unaware of it - on here as it happens - I shall be armed with a bucket of cold water on the upstairs balcony tonight - Friday night, last night,maybe. Might just all look like a soft white blanket out there but its my plants and shrubs that get trampled over. Rant over. Too many insurance forms to get on with!!
snow report
Pamski, Really sorry about the burglary - have been burgled twice, not a pleasant experience! It wasn't in quick succesion (about 10 years in between), so a second visit is not mandatory!!! Have you thought of fitting a safe? They're not that expensive and can be bolted to a wall or floor, then all your valuables can be locked away while you're out.
snow report
Pamski, very frustrating. Good luck with those forms - hopefully the clouds will have cleared by the time you've trawled through them and you can get out and enjoy the (very) fresh air. I might go for a quiet trudge up towards Mont Caly, looks stunning.
snow report
chrisb wrote:
On a previous trip to Les Gets the hotel where we were staying, the owner was convinced that the crime in the village - car problems mainly that year (2005) was caused by the Brits, and the owner was a Brit.

Someone I know in Chatel dreads the Parisians arriving as the Parisian yoof regularly vandalise the place. A couple of years ago they graffitied the petite train Confused
ski holidays
pamski
my friends are in a chalet there right now
a family of 4 and a brother in law
Steve Tracey, hayey Brett and Mike if you have met them
Geoff
ski holidays
Pamski, oh dear - so sorry to hear that Sad
snow conditions
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
Someone had tried to lever the U-lock open

Is that similar to trying to lever a U-brain...... Toofy Grin wink

Pamski awful news - sorry to hear that. There really are some to$$ers out there!
ski holidays
thats shocking Pamski, hope you get everything sorted. how long are you out there for, you seem to have been there for ages!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ricklovesthepowder, I believe a new passport may arrive any time now as the British Embassy have put the charge on to my (one remaining) visa card.

We shall be here till first week in Feb, arrived 14 December, but we are old-ish, and don't need to clock on at the factory gate (do they still have clocking on?) any more. Then back for March and April.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy