Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

night skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

u wan da punani

Call My Bluff anyone?

What's punani?!?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did it in Obergurgl - up the mountain to see the ski school show - few beers in the bar at the top to warm up - watch show which was highly entertaining - instructors propelled by rockets across the piste - stilts - all sorts of things that shouldn't really be done - then a long blue (say 15 mins back to town) - well thats my recollection from a couple of years ago - all the downsides pam w mentions, but a good diversion as we had spent the previous evening with full blown Austrian apres and were still feeling tender!

Fun as an occaisional pursuit - not something I would do more than once a season!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bergmeister, try a google search! New to me as well I have to admit!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bergmeister, skimark, I became enlightened about this term during my daughter's days at uni! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, except in Finland in December where night skiing is in fact day skiing with the lights on - for the first couple of hours in the morning then again from just after lunch until close of play at 7pm. Mind you it was a bit nippy so be 4pm we called it a day. But a brilliant experience. Not sure I would be so keen on the after dinner bit myself Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My family did night skiing in Obergurgl and they thought it was fabulous ..it was a well lit ,red run, down to the Festcogel ( can't remember how it is spelled) lift station.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
32 years ago
3rd day ever on skiis
Norway
Minus 16
Everything skiied down had to be walked up first
Wearing silly green and white stuff
2.2m xcountry waxing skiis
Soppy little leather ankle boots

"But we can't see what we are skiing on"
"Exactly, just keep your knees bent"

Amazing to ski over bumps that we had fallen over only that day
And the Northern lights to entertain us
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There's a ladies nightrace in Flauchau tonight. Although it is on Hermann Maier's doorstep he won't be there as just before Christmas he broke his hand skiing. Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've done a little night skiing in Canada. Big White has the largest floodlit area in Western Canada with one of the main pistes fully lit. I'm normally too knackered to make any use of it, but on the odd occasion I've tried it was pretty cool, especially when snowing. I think it appeals mostly to locals who are working during the day.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
While in Alpe d'Huez two years ago, I noticed an ad for night skiing at the Sarenne run. No artificial lighting, only the light of the moon (and torches?). Seemed very cool to me, but didn't do it. Has anyone tried this?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

http://youtube.com/v/nyjhHpg_JPI
Quote:

night skiing is rubbish. It's cold, there's only ever a short bit of piste open, and the floodlights mean you can't see a thing. Like being in a goldfish bowl. Much better put your feet up with a glass of something warming and a good meal.

Doesnt look short or rubbish to me!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lake louise - theres a big party at the top of one of the lifts and after a skinful its a torchlit descent down to the basestation.

Those that had too much were taken down by snowmobile... There was at least one broken leg that night as well!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Night skiing is ace if you go about it the right way. Had an awesome time last season in Anton - wait for the full moon, hike up to Galzig form the St Christoff side, reach the top circa midnight (just in time for some randoms fireworks), abuse the hipflask, and back down Kandahar. Awesome, and visibility was suprisingly good!*

*Be very careful though, and only do it if you know the area well. No first aid or piste patrol, and the possibility of pistebasher winch cables being a nuisance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We arrange a weekly night ski in San Cassiano ... no flood lit pistes though. There's a refugio at the top of a very long blue run that runs back to the chalet; the owner comes and picks everyone up in his snow cat, putting all the skis in big basket at the front. We go up to the refugio and have a drink and then ski down with a ski-doo leading the way, some staff with head torches and the rest with light sabres!! followed by the snow cat with it's headlights on full.

It's brilliant! Everyone loves it and has great fun ... yes it can be cold; but i tell you what, on a clear night with a full moon the headlights don't need to be on and those Dolomiti mountains are breathtaking!!!!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And HOW ACE does this look?
http://youtube.com/v/UYXnjEAi2xk

To say night skiing is rubbish is a massive generalisation!!
snow report
daveqpr, That's look good - we go out to Soll on 27th (nearly there Very Happy ) and I was wondering if it was worth the effort. Night skiing is supposed to be covered on the regular lift pass, was this not the case?
snow conditions
Went night skiing in Fiss, nice long run back to village, very well lit and piste was open until 11 o'clock when we were more than ready for a beer. Costs for evening pass was an extra €5 over weeks pass but we all really enjoyed it, just another take on your usual ski holiday experiences. If you get he chance give it a go, as you may not get a chance to experience it again.

In a few weeks we shall be in Hochkoenig where they have a floodlit piste at Maria Alm but it doesn't look a patch on Fiss so I doubt if we'll bother with that one as not only is it shorter but its also €11 !
latest report
sharon1953, Soll's night skiing is one of the best. Well worth it. It wasn't included on the lift pass when I last did it though.
snow report
Soll night skiing is about 20 eur extra. They have 3 runs above the mid station and one run from the mid staion to the base. Well worth the effort for at least one night.
ski holidays
daveqpr, Never been charged extra for night skiing before, I think it should be included in the high season pass we already have booked, so will be giving it a miss no matter how good it is, an extra 2 x20 euro is just too much for us Sad
snow report
My first time night skiing was in Keystone many years ago. Beautiful cold clear night. Hardly anyone around and I was by myself (girlfriend point blank refused). So quiet, tranquil, just the sound of your breath and your skis on the snow, it was gently snowing, beautifully surreal. Loved it.

My last time was in Obertauern. Quite busy, friendly and almost a party atmosphere, lots of kids (not dinky ones) including my lot, lots of families, no one racing around dangerously, places to stop for a hot choc, brilliant fun. Loved it.
ski holidays
slikedges, Obertauern agree, and no extra cost wink
ski holidays
Good night skiing in Jasna, Slovakia. Very quiet slope. Ideal for the kids to take some time out and learn to board!
snow conditions
The only time I've skiied in the dark was in Ellmau, at the end of my 3rd skiing week I was in a class of similar level guys(mostly) and the female Aussie instructor said "Shall we stay in the bar till its dark and then ski down in the moonlight?". We were all up for it having had a great week and the weather was beautiful when we went in. 2 hours and about 5 pints later we came out into a blizzard We had one torch at the front and one at the back but you couldn't see a thing. Took for ever to get down. Haven't tried it since!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy