Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mon 5th - how far south in UK has the snow reached ?

Poster: A snowHead
My work (school) is shut...

So I'm at home deciding what to do, where to go, where to take the sledge, cursing that I don't own skis.

Also no car as 4x4 confiscated by OH's work - hope it doesn't get stuck/ditched as it would be entertaining to be reliant on one of the local garage's courtesy cars! My MR2 is definitely grounded for a while...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia wrote:
Rob_Quads, yes, but none of that stops other people looking over your shoulder. Wouldn't be a problem for me as I live alone, but where would you draw the line? Remote access only available in a locked room away from the prying eyes of others and never on a laptop in a public place?

You have signed the confidentiality clauses.

That means it would then be your responsibility to ensure that nobody else would see what you were doing. Most people can manage this when working from home - and I think most businesses have some fairly confidential stuff.

And I have worked from home before now on stuff that is probably more sensitive than anything you work on, given that you (correct me if I am wrong) work in a graphic design business. I currently work for a publisher which certainly doesn't have anything more sensitive, but I have worked for council social services departments before, with full access to the child protection regsiter and details of all people under the care of SS.

I think it is more a case of laziness or incompetence on the part of your IT department than any real security issues.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Reading Snow report.... http://www.19x.co.uk/cgi-bin/snowheads.pl?resort=6
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Randomsabreur, In a similar position to you, and also really annoyed that I don't own any skis Evil or Very Mad Have got loads of school work that I could be getting on with though Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tiffin,

"Sunny " Berkshire ?????????
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112, Slightly ironic Smile

Starting up again over here
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We had quite a lot (for London!) last night - I guess about 3-4 inches. Very pretty this morning all the wires and trees thickly covered. And snowing really quite heavily now, you can see where the snow had been cleared it's all getting covered again - quickly! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tiffin,

Of course Smile

I think it has finally stopped !!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Put a few turns in Cirencester this afternoon - about 5 inches of snow ...... mixture of hardpack where the sledges had been and crud where the walkers were plus a few pockets of grassy powder !!!!!!
4 runs was enough.........
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just measured the snow on the top of my car (parked outside my house wink ), 4.5 inches
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just got home and not enough to ski on in Richmond Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sideshow_Bob,
Bring a lorry to Reading and you can have as much as you want - 24 hours solid snow - never even see that in the Alps !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Plenty here in Oxfordshire but here, Abingdon, much too flat to ski/sledge Sad Decent hills at Wittenham Clumps but would need a 4x4 to get there, curses!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It snowed here in Cardiff last night and this morning, though a fair bit melted earlier on. There could be snow on the dry ski slope two miles away from me Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alex_heney wrote:
I think it is more a case of laziness or incompetence on the part of your IT department than any real security issues.

Got to agree with that one.

Queen Bodecia Sorry but it's got to be said - your company really is stuck in the 70's...
snow conditions
No they are not. We are a very modern company using latest technologies across a range of disciplines. We simply operate in a market where costs are kept to a minimum in an effort to stay profitable. With so many of our competitors' business having failed in the latest recession, we must be doing something right. Equipping our staff with the necessaries to be able to work from home is not financially viable, and could allow possibilities for breach of security. Not only that, we need to work as teams across a range of projects, not possible to do that from several different locations.

Can we please now stop bashing my employers? I'm frankly rather bored of it. My terms of employment are very favourable to me and I feel very fortunate to still have a job, a reasonably-paid one at that, which I enjoy extremely.

Many of you may work in more traditional industries which can still afford to give their staff a whole range of benefits. This sort of thing is on the decline, as is trade union involvement. We are moving to a situation where staff benefits outside of normal pay are in steep decline as companies need to find ways to stay competitive against cheaper competitors from emerging overseas markets. Some of you with lots of paid leave, health benefits, company pensions, etc. may find that you will eventually lose these benefits.
snow conditions
A1 is shocking in Durham Shocked
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
No they are not.

In terms of what you do, almost certainly not.

In terms of how the employees are treated they certainly appear to be.

Quote:

Can we please now stop bashing my employers? I'm frankly rather bored of it. My terms of employment are very favourable to me and I feel very fortunate to still have a job, a reasonably-paid one at that, which I enjoy extremely.

I'm glad you enjoy the work, but your terms of employment are very clearly among the worst of any snowheads in full employment.

If you don't want them "bashing", then don't keep telling us how you can't do the things most of us take for granted.

Quote:

Many of you may work in more traditional industries which can still afford to give their staff a whole range of benefits. This sort of thing is on the decline, as is trade union involvement. We are moving to a situation where staff benefits outside of normal pay are in steep decline as companies need to find ways to stay competitive against cheaper competitors from emerging overseas markets. Some of you with lots of paid leave, health benefits, company pensions, etc. may find that you will eventually lose these benefits.

I don't think anybody has commented on things like health benefits or pensions - those are very much more down to individual employers.

Things like the ability to work from home are very much on the increase rather than the decrease, minimum levels of paid holiday are also increasing, as are more flexible working arrangements generally.

Most modern employers are aware of the fact that a happy workforce tend to be more productive, and do what they can, within reason, to ensure that.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Can we please now stop bashing my employers? I'm frankly rather bored of it

If you stop posting comments about some of their frankly daft views on employment then we'll stop taking the mickey. But if you make comments such as
queen bodecia wrote:
Don't start that again. It's purely for security reasons. Most of the material we produce is sensitive and we are all bound by confidentiality clauses.

To a forum that (as most forums) has an over-population of IT geeks, you're going to get a kick back. One of my previous holidays I was on a ski-clinic with a director of a merchant bank but the quid pro quo for him going skiing was having to check his blackberry from time to time over lunch, on the lifts etc. He obviously had access to sensitive information (in commercial terms) but his company was happy that a properly secured blackberry met the balance between mobility and confidentiality. I've done a lot of work with a National Children's Charity over the last 3-4 years and they have people working in satellite offices, from home and from mobile devices all secured using relevant technologies.

The fact that your company might not choose to make such solutions available on grounds of cost or 'efficiency' or dare I say it outmoded views on presenteeism is a separate discussion but to say 'remote access' is not available because of security risks makes me wonder whether you still have to punch a clock card in the morning.
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Not only that, we need to work as teams across a range of projects, not possible to do that from several different locations.

It is perfectly possible with relevant resources and technology. I'm in a global team and am the only member of staff in my particular area in London. I have several direct reports in India in a handful of geographically disparate offices. My manager is in NY and I have other team mates in Tokyo, Shanghai, NY, Chicago and Pennsylvania. Major firms have been doing this for years. It has hardly hampered their productivity, and they do it to achieve quality improvements and cost reduction. Now maybe your particular employers are in an area where hands-on face-to-face collaboration is absolutely essential but those kinds of jobs are certainly dwindling, or they're so small that it doesn't make sense to have multiple locations, but for a proclaimed progressive company not giving people the ability to work from home seems anything but.
snow report
bertie bassett wrote:
frankly daft views on employment

So what are these views? Unpaid overtime is fairly common throughout many industries, just look at junior doctors' hours. Restricted paid sick leave is pretty common too. I think other than that my terms of employment are pretty much the same as most. The issue of remote access to our server has been declined on the grounds of cost and security, pure and simple. Many of the staff have Blackberries, iPhones and laptops and can access their emails and FTP without issue from any location (obviously taking security concerns into account).

Can we get back to the snow please? We're supposed to get some more here today but so far it has been a lovely crisp bluebird day.
ski holidays
so at Sat afternoon who is seeing white ? (acting under gravity Smile)
snow report
Light flurries in Aberdare, S Wales.
snow report
We're 12m form Lizard Point which is the most southerly point in the UK and we have snow. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
4 inches here last night and now my car is officially stuck. Was at my dads earlier and he has 12 inches in his garden fnarr fnarr snowHead
snow report
Just looking out the window and flurries falling again snowHead

No problems reported and isnt it great having plenty of warm suitable clothing on hand for these emergencies. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The tiniest amount in Hammersmith this morning during our rowing. It was still quite cold and the oars and boat got coated in ice almost immediately we got on the river. Missus has stolen the car otherwise I'd be tempted to recce Box Hill Sad
snow report
Snow deeper than walking boots in Seaford park = wet feet ;-( Warmer temps mean the beginnings of a melt, but not stopping the building of an igloo..! Now safely ensconsed in the pub with homphomp Toofy Grin (via SMS)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dumping again in south london tonight - cue rail chaos for the morning Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy