Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee injuries are 365 times more likely to happen to skiers than the general population.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Let's read that again, with quote marks (they go funny when used in thread titles):

"Knee injuries are 365 times more likely to happen to skiers than the general population."

It's a quote from today's Montreal Gazette, and it seems to be a properly researched article. For instance:
Quote:
National Ski Areas Association's (NSAA) claim that 39.8 skiers and snowboarders die every year on the slopes.

Mr 0.8 is the lucky one, because 20% of his body actually survived.

The article doesn't quote a source for the "365 times" statistic, so let's look into this in more detail. Our knees may not forgive us if we don't.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:

The article doesn't quote a source for the "365 times" statistic, so let's look into this in more detail. Our knees may not forgive us if we don't.

They also don't say what it actually means.

Do they mean that anybody spending a day skiing is 365 times more likely to get a knee injury than somebody spending a day on "average" activities?

Or do they mean that somebody who participates in skiing is 365 times more likely over their lifetime (or over a season/year?) than somebody who doesn't?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski injury data is usually given on the incidence of the injury per 1000 skier days. So you'd look at the rate of comparable knee injuries for the non-skiing population, per 1000 days. The problem is that the journalist has left out a vital piece of information: where does the data come from, and was it 'peer-reviewed' (by other scientists)?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A journalist not quoting the whole source or giving you the full story? Whatever next?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Knee injuries more likely for skiers. Whoopy-do, now there's a surprise. Perhaps we should all just stay in bed?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The general populations probably far more likely to suffer from diseases and injuries related to lack of fitness than a skier, however.

Also I wonder what the figure is for other sports, its rare to find ex skateboarders, footballers and bowlers (cricket, not lawn!) that don't have very similar complaints.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Knee injury is the only thing about extreme skiing that scares me. What if i do my ACL and have a season off snow, or worse? Scary stuff, but i already knew the risks without some journey spouting about some stupid statistic.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ever since the early days of high-backed plastic ski boots in the late 1960s/early 1970s the knee has been subjected to unnatural leverage. Since ACL and other knee injuries affect everyone from very fit and strong racers through to beginners (both experience backward-twisting falls), the key factor is to minimise that type of fall (or landing).

Personally, I'd avoid any aspect of skiing - particularly hyped 'extreme skiing', promoted in ski movies - that involves landing or leaning in the 'back seat'. I began skiing in 1959 and have probably done the equivalent of three lifetimes' skiing for the average person, on most grades of slopes, but I've never had a knee ligament injury. I was lucky to be trained by BASI in 1975, which vastly reduced the incidence of falling.

I'd thoroughly recommend really effective and intense ski training, over a period of weeks, partly because it really reduces the risk of injury (apart from making skiing ten times more enjoyable and fulfilling).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Non skiers are a million times more likely to have shoite lives,many of these will go undiagnosed. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
IMHO this is just Lazy made up numbers by someone with a copy deadline and only the slightest clue what they are talking about Sad

A look injury data from Scotland injury data suggests about 2 injuries per 1000 ski day that require medical attention of these only about 1/3rd are knee related. 0.66 injuries per 1000days of any activity is pretty good and does not really make a worthwhile scare story. (And remember thats on rock stewn boulder fields, crazy whiskey fueled locals on homemade skis and attacking wild haggis Toofy Grin )

At the risk of opening another 'helmet' discussion the article also perpetuates another myth: namely

"In fact, there is a substantial amount of research that suggests wearing a helmet promotes more risky behaviour"

Strangely wink no actual references are given.

http://www.ski-injury.com/injury-statistics/stats1 is a slightly more balanced look at injury frequency and probablilties.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ernst Goldsmith, Your saying that your so amazing yet dont partake in extreme aspects of skiing? How does that work? Like you said knee injuries in skiing are a given but why stop doing exciting things and challenging yourself through fear of injury? If that's your personal outlook then your not living buddy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah, well, I have plenty of friends who messed themselves up with freestyle skiing (aerials etc), which wasn't even extreme skiing. The human body can't take that much of a pounding. Nothing amazing about what I've done on mountains - I had enough experiences that freaked me out enough to avoid a lot of the scarier terrain
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy