Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sking South America

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone ever used Casatours, Snoventures or Powderquest for skiing in South America. Any thoughts/reviews of any of these companies. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr and Mrs MA & I used Casatours 4 years ago for their Classic Shortie trip. We had the time of our lives and I have since recommended the company on here many times.

Although prices seem quite expensive the value for money is exceptional - as prices include most food, lift tickets, off piste guiding, transceivers etc. We ended up in a small group of five (the two of us plus 3 US skiers/boarders), which was fantastic. We had brilliant and very friendly service from our Canadian guide Sarah and the Chilean driver Marco. Nothing was too much trouble for either of them on what was a very varied trip - skiing at the 3 Valleys area near Santiago, road trip (inc winery visit....hic) en route to Termas de Chillan resort, night out at a proper Chilean Club frequented by hardly any tourists, hike up active volcano for off piste descent etc etc, market visit to break up the road trip etc etc.

We had a couple of spare days after our tour - when we roped in Marco the driver to take us skiing at Portillo one day, then to the coastal resort of Valparaiso the next. An absolutely fantastic holiday.

Fellow snowHead Bergmeister (and Mrs BM) has also used Castours (based on my recommendation). They also had a fantastic time.

Let us know what you decide Very Happy .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks mountainaddict, do you mind me asking the approx age group of your tour? What was the accommodation like. Did you hire skis out there (am looking as doing it as part of a few week trip to SA so wont be able to take skis), if so what was the quality/cost? Many thanks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DIY

Its the best way.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not the best way when you are a single female...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Beccam,

It might be worth looking at Snoworks, I just did one of their courses and everyone was raving about the Chile/Argentina trip that they do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beccam

Mrs MA & I were early 40s. The other 3 in the group were one male single US traveller aged 50 and 2 females travelling together aged about 25 and 40.

We generally do do DIY travel and are not usually big fans of the group/organised thing. However, this was the trip that changed our view - we would not have had anything like the fantastic time we had with Casa if we'd organised it ourselves and gone DIY. The whole group (plus guide/driver) just got on so well that it made the trip. Other plus points were skiing/boarding as a group and doing all the off piste stuff/volcano hike. We would never have got round to organising local guides so that was just amazing.

Another factor was that the 2 areas we skied at (3 Valleys nr Santiago and Termas de Chillan) are about 7 hours drive apart. It was great to do the trip in between in a minibus with everything taken care of. That was the day we stopped off at the winery for a slap up meal - with obligatory wine tasting of course. Again, we'd probably never have done that on our own and doing it as a small group was excellent.

At Chillan, Casa also organised a visit to the thermal springs and a volcanic hot mud wrap - interesting! And a night at a restaurant in the middle of nowhere for a cracking meal followed by a hot tub under the stars. And a stop at a non-touristy market on the way back to Santiago.

Accommodation standards did vary:

Santiago - excellent. A big, posh apartment in a good location.
Farellones (ie 3 Valleys ski area) - basic but clean and in a great spot at the foot of the slopes.
Termas de Chillan - rustic log cabins with wood burning stoves. Very cosy.

Overall, we felt like we got a great taste of the real Chile, with a great company who went out of their way to keep the guests happy and entertained - in fact the service was second to none. I know that fellow snowhead Bergemeister (on a different tour with different Casa Staff) found the same thing. Based on our experience I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to a single traveller.

At the time we booked, Casa were quite a bit cheaper than other companies - but I don't know if that still applies.

We took our own skis. Bergmeister's skis were lost in transit - so they had to hire in Farellones. The best they could find was long, skinny skis circa 1990..... Sad That was in 2006. Not sure if that applies everywhere or will still be the case but just a cautionary note.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A gang of us went with CASA tours way back in 2001 - can't fault them, although that was when they were young and fresh. Jeremy who used to run/own has since moved on I think. Back then it was very good value and there is no whay you could cover all that ground in 2 weeks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy