Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steamy goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Skyhawk wrote:
Is there a spray or solution that can be applied to the inner surface to prevent goggles fogging ?

Have just bought and used this product - http://www.muc-off.com/product_page/product.php?id=604 and was impressed with the results. It was a tenner from Halfords and easy to use and seemed to work well. Even when there was moisture inside the goggles they did not fog and it was just like there was a thin film of water which soon disappeared after a few seconds of a run

The other product I saw when doing my 'research' was this one which got a good write up in one of the motorcycle magazines

http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=8ef47a4fe9cebb5f9d0a010ce33b97d1
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowforever wrote:
i have a worse issue. i put the goggles on top of my glasses and while the goggles do not steam my glasses do. I noticed though that if you ignore the steaming and keep skiing the ventilation usually takes care of the steaming. if you're standing still however and try to get rid of it it won't go away

Smith Knowledge OTG Turbo Very Happy

Best for a biggish face as the Knowledge is a big frame, but it guarantees room for your glasses. The microfan prevents almost all fogging when run at the regular setting, and if you do happen to breathe the goggles/glasses full of steam you can stick the fan on max for 30s.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skyhawk wrote:
Basically the problem was that I was wearing them with a balaclava and they were not flush against the skin, but instead resting on the material of the balaclava.

This my problem, I always wear a balaclava, so i guess I'm always going to have this problem.

A solution that i'm considering is one of these as they claim the ventilation within the helmet stop fogging

Yes I know alot of people will think I look like a prat, but I'll be warm and importantly my goggles will be steam free!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Check this one out....

You can buy the helmet, and then the visor to go with it....

Don't even need goggles!!! Laughing Laughing

Is anyone brave enough?? I don't ski like the ESF, nor look like Tom Cruise so I'll look a bit of a prat wearing one....

Perhaps 4-5 years ahead of its time??

http://www.snowfusion.co.uk/sc/123/Hammer-HMR-Helmets.htm
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry, psbbst, but it's time to buzz a tower

Joking aside I am kinda drawn to it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
never mind all that rubbish, I've found my dream helmet http://www.snowfusion.co.uk/images/p/l/1/3565/Hammer-Helmet-HMR-Tiger-Helmet-Full-Face-Boarder-X-Helmet.jpg
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir wrote:
Skyhawk wrote:
Is there a spray or solution that can be applied to the inner surface to prevent goggles fogging ?

Have just bought and used this product - http://www.muc-off.com/product_page/product.php?id=604 and was impressed with the results. It was a tenner from Halfords and easy to use and seemed to work well. Even when there was moisture inside the goggles they did not fog and it was just like there was a thin film of water which soon disappeared after a few seconds of a run

The other product I saw when doing my 'research' was this one which got a good write up in one of the motorcycle magazines

http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=25&osCsid=8ef47a4fe9cebb5f9d0a010ce33b97d1

Cheers Sleipnir, I will get some of that (just in case)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scooby wrote:
Skyhawk wrote:
Basically the problem was that I was wearing them with a balaclava and they were not flush against the skin, but instead resting on the material of the balaclava.

This my problem, I always wear a balaclava, so i guess I'm always going to have this problem.

A solution that i'm considering is one of these as they claim the ventilation within the helmet stop fogging

Yes I know alot of people will think I look like a prat, but I'll be warm and importantly my goggles will be steam free!!

That is my solution also, although not as extreme Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skyhawk, I believe teraseal would be good, never get fogged up... but you would never see though them!

The only thing I have done is use a girls hair dryer on cold to completely blow all water from my goggles that fell of and a good face plant!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wore goggles for 7 days out of 12 in St Gervais over the new year. Goggles were either over my eyes, on my forehead or on the top of my head, depending on where I was or what is was doing. Also had a neck fleece over my mouth and nose most of the time on the slopes and chair lifts due to the cold. Head was covered with a beanie. I had no problems with the goggles fogging up. Mine are Oakley Stockholms. Have never had another brand as comparison but feel I'm on to a good thing that works, so won't change them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Misted goggles are entirely behavioural. My cheap goggles don't mist up because I treat them well, but badly treated expensive goggles will always let you down. The main things are to keep the inside dry and to keep a good airflow through the vents.

To keep the inside dry, you need to avoid lifting the goggles up onto a sweaty forehead or damp hat; you need to remove them completely from your head in a warm gondola; you need to keep falling snow away from the inside; and you need to be careful removing them after a wipeout.

To keep a good airflow, you need immediately to brush away any snow that lands on the vents, and you need to keep hats, balaclavas and gaitors a good 2cm away from the goggles.

Follow these rules and you'll be OK. It's probably worth saying that hats and goggles can be difficult partners; at the risk of starting a riot, I'd suggest that you're much more likely to have unmisted goggles if you wear a helmet.

Finally, it's worth noting that in North America sunglasses really give you away as a beginner. I (yes, I know it's sad) wasted my time clocking sunglass wearers in Canada a few years back, and, despite beautiful weather, every one was either British or still attempting to master the snowplough.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonny Jones, on 4 separate occasions now I've convinced friends to change from sunnies to goggles, and all of them said it opened up a new world to them, vision-wise, and all now stick to goggles all the time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skyhawk wrote:
I carry two pairs of Oakley goggles, and last year had a disaster as both fogged up severely! I didn't know what was wrong as I did not store them on my head or touch the inside of snow ski goggles. Basically the problem was that I was wearing them with a balaclava and they were not flush against the skin, but instead resting on the material of the balaclava.

Fogged goggles are a real pain.

You can carry a bottle of anti-fog spray along with you. I t can be for any mirror or glass surface. There are tons of different anti-fog sprays on the market today. I use IST ANTI-FOG SPRAY 1oz / 30ml from Amazon and it works fine. http://www.amazon.com/IST-ANTI-FOG-SPRAY-1oz-30ml/dp/B0034ZN1N6?tag=amz07b-21
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are all buy anti-mist spray then I urge you to save your cash and just try a smear of dishwashing liquid and then polish the surface of the lense as I put on page one. It works marvellously!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tobacco. Rub a pinch of tobacco on the inside of the lens. Doesn't goop up and go sticky like washing up liquid. Even cigarette tobacco will do. I used it for years when I was a motorcycle courier. Don't bother with the Frank Thomas wipe on spray stuff, it works for about ten minutes and then it's like looking out through a bog window.

Definitely don't use a potato as is sometimes suggested. It goops up and attracts creepy crawlies. You do not want to find a wasp staring at you as you pick up speed.

If the lens surface is colder than the exhaled breath it's going to collect condensation. The surface tension determines whether you get droplets or a layer.
ski holidays
Few drops of Stroh 80, problem solved.
latest report
you can buy helmets with a visor that can be pulled down over your eyes.
latest report
skidmarks wrote:
you can buy helmets with a visor that can be pulled down over your eyes.

yes, yes you can buy those, although a cheaper way of gaining the same result of appearance would be to wear a T-shirt saying "I'm a NOB" on it

I've got a pair of Oakley splices, finally decided to invest in some decent/expensive goggles after years of suffering with carrera and scott goggles, they are totally worth it, got the fire iridium lens and only skiied a few days of blue skys this year, the rest have been in white outs and driving snow, combined with a K2 rant helmet with a lip which stops snow falling into the vents but also provides ventilation at the same time.
I've also bailed pretty badly into the snow aswell and the goggles have got filled with snow, a quick shake to get rid of the snow and the bit of steam is cleared in a few minutes.
Totally recommend them, yeah their pricey, but the results are worth it!
snow report
The goggles that I got free with my fall-line subscription have never steamed up and they are still doing the same deal, albeit with a different pair of goggles but its the same brand. If you like their magazines then its a very good value way of getting yourself a new pair of decent goggles.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy