Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

When and where is the best time and place to look for a late deal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there

Can anyone advise me on when I should start looking for a late deal if I want to go for a week about 6th march.

I have only ever planned and booked in good time but this year the only way I might be able to afford it is a very special offer. Budget is £500 for everything. Am I dreaming? Just want to ski, not fussy where. Oh and I am probably solo again Hubbys job commitments.

Also where is good to look? I have been surfin' so got a few ides, Snowtrex, crystal, nielsons oh and the ones who sponsor the snowHead weather report that do coach trips (cant remember their name now)

Preferably a package cos I havn't bought a flight and whatever I might save on the accomodation will be wiped out buying a flight at short notice.

I have looked at all inclusives online, maybe I'm being stupid but I find it hard to work out which ones include the flights. Puzzled

Any ideas welcome.

Thankyou snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I always book months in advance to be sure to grab the holy grail (single room), but I have heard that with a late booking you might escape the dreaded solo supplement. I think you'd have to book really late for this, less than a week before, but it has been done.

In your position, if you are flexible about resort and departure airport (although I'm guessing you won't have a problem with that as your local airport is Gatwick), then I'd wait until the week before, then contact all the major TOs (or let someone like Iglu do the legwork) and see what they can offer you.

Incidentally, if you end up in La Thuile that week and want some ski buddies, drop me a PM!

Good luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I reckon about a week or two in advance and have a look at somewhere like Alpine Answers http://www.alpineanswers.co.uk/deals . They make it very clear on the late deals website whether or not a flight is included. You've got a bit of a balance to play between leaving things late enough to get a good deal and too late so that there is no choice. But for example if you were going next week there would be heaps of places including flights under your £500 limit. Worth giving them a call. I've always found the staff very helpful.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-01-10 13:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
youngeratheart, another vote for Alpine Answers, getting a single could be a struggle, but if your booking within a couple of weeks you may get the single room supplement waived, it can be as high as 90%.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
youngeratheart, http://www.fasttrackski.co.uk/

havent traveled with this company but the last min deals seem good value
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks eveyone. Very Happy

I will save these links, I'm gonna have a quick peek in a minute, Its so tempting to hit the Book now button though Laughing

queen bodecia,
Quote:

Incidentally, if you end up in La Thuile that week and want some ski buddies, drop me a PM!

I'll be sure to do that.

When I find something I,ll post it. Last year actually didn't quite manage to meet up with any snowHead but I had a really good recommendation for an Instructor called Jean-Charles at ESF Les Gets.

I found out its not what you know but who you know that makes your holiday.

Thanks again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Its so tempting to hit the Book now button though

Do it...you know you want too Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A posting on the chalets direct website solutions room is often a good bet, but not many with flights included. Some ski flights are still cheap now though this season IMO.

Independent brit run chalets abound on the Chalets Direct website and often offer a room without single supplement - this is what I have done for my trip leaving on the 9th and booked a few weeks ago.

I am up for a trip in March too if you are happy to room share. My hubby does not ski.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jennycook, Thanks for that. I cannot make a promise about sharing a room yet cos there is still approx 20% chance mine can come, just dont know untill nearer the time.

Otherwise it would be great. Although, Roomshare is one thing but I have a genuine fear if I ski with better skiiers I'll break my neck trying to keep up and a confession also that I an utterly selfish about not hanging around for less able or nervous skiiers. I am a bit Embarassed about admitting that but better to be honest.

I was told last year I was an intermediate skiier although I am pants on moguls. Do like company when its with truly compatable skiiers, Or a big group of mixed ability just out for a half day jolly.

I''ll keep in touch via PM
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
here

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58811&start=40
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have booked last minute for the last 2-3 years - to get the really good deals then you probably have to wait until the week before you go - ie Tuesday/Wed to depart on the Saturday - keep a look out on websites like Iglu, Crystal, Thomas Cook, ski solutions etc - just google last minute ski deals! However be aware that quite often these are very quickly out of date - you usually have to ring around a few tour ops and see what they've got on offer, ideally be at your PC so you can have a look at the places whilst you're on the phone and be prepared to commit (and pay up!) there and then as often if you decide to ring back the deals will have gone.

It can be very nerve racking to wait until this late, so keep a look out for a couple of weeks before hand - if it's not a peak week and things are slow then you may find deals earlier. If you're not a large party and don't want to go in peak time then you'll find something but you have to be aware that you might have to be a bit flexible - ie not exactly the resort you want, most of the late deals are from London airports etc!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dr George, Thankyou for you post

I have run a few simulated bookings for next week just to see what sort of savings and which websites keep adding extras each time you get to the next step ie cleaning, linen etc and now definatly would prefer to look for all in packages.

X fingers and hold my nerve not to book yet would seem to be the only way to stay within my budget.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Dr George said:

However be aware that quite often these are very quickly out of date - you usually have to ring around a few tour ops and see what they've got on offer, ideally be at your PC so you can have a look at the places whilst you're on the phone and be prepared to commit (and pay up!) there and then as often if you decide to ring back the deals will have gone.

Most of the major TO have live online booking so this is not a problem. It is, however, a big problem for third party sites like Iglu.

You only have to wait until the price is at a level that you are happy to pay for the package/location/accommodation. This is not always at the very last minute. Sometimes it can be as far as 4-5 weeks in advance when the TO are trying to fill a chartered flight.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm lookin for accomonly for 9th-16th jan any tips?

Just been googling and finding the usual TOs and some sites listing chalets which seem pretty temping

Thing is, I have flights booked but only a few TOs do accom only. Is it worth ringing to ask?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy