Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski steps in a snowdome or on the slopes?

Poster: A snowHead
Astraeus, please please do the plastic first, save yourself a bundle and learn to ski on a surface that is slower therefore easier for you to control. Once you have mastered the technique then go to Chillfactore to put that technique to use in a more high speed environment!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
learn to ski on a surface that is slower therefore easier for you to control.

I'm not sure that is necessarily true. Plastic offers much less grip than snow, even the indoor variety, so offers a different kind of challenge for a beginner.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The tuition is good at Sheffield too - my friend who learnt there with the weekly set of six (?) lessons came with us to the Alps in April, to find the ski school had finished. He went straight into a private lesson, did a steep-ish section of slope straight away to the nearest T-bar, got to the top on the T-bar and did his first blue run. I was impressed that he could do so much when he'd never been on snow before.

Having said that, snow feels very different from the dry slope, so on balance I'd prefer to learn at Chill Factore. Maybe a bit of both would be good. What you are proposing sounds fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very diplomatically put. Rob may be saying plastic is the wrong type of snow.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very diplomatically put. Rob may be saying that plastic is the wrong type of snow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Astraeus, Well they run every day of the week at the moment so I'd say aim for a mid-week one (tue,wed or thur) as they're likely to be quieter than the weekend or mondays and fridays. Plus the slopes will be quieter too giving you a bit more room to work with and less thoughts of avoiding other slope users.

A cheeky little trick Twisted Evil would be to ring the lesson booking line lateish in the day and ask how many are booked onto the following days lesson, this could get you onto a low numbers course (they take 10 max - too many in my opinion - but of course they're in business to make money). However I did one 3 weeks back with only 2 people on it so virtually a private lesson for the day.

Another option is to do it over 2 days as that is another course that runs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bloody hell. That was a first - I edited it for grammar and got a free post
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Astraeus, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

If you can bear to drive down the M1 to Hemel, I would echo Megamum's recommendation, see here. There are many on the forum who can attest to the excellence of Rob's (rob@rar) and Scott's (skimottaret) tuition.

[signed] InsideOut Groupie wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beeorchid wrote:
The tuition is good at Sheffield too - my friend who learnt there with the weekly set of six (?) lessons came with us to the Alps in April, to find the ski school had finished. He went straight into a private lesson, did a steep-ish section of slope straight away to the nearest T-bar, got to the top on the T-bar and did his first blue run. I was impressed that he could do so much when he'd never been on snow before.

Having said that, snow feels very different from the dry slope, so on balance I'd prefer to learn at Chill Factore. Maybe a bit of both would be good. What you are proposing sounds fine.

Very reassuring to hear someone has come out of tuition at Sheffield as a competent skier. I'll ring up and see when they can get me on a "learn in a weekend" course and that'll give me a taster of how to ski and that's when I'll go to Chillfactore for some enjoyable learning on snow. So skir67, expect me to bother you in the future as to when the best time to come up for a couple of hours of quiet skiing is.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Astraeus, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

If you can bear to drive down the M1 to Hemel, I would echo Megamum's recommendation, see here. There are many on the forum who can attest to the excellence of Rob's (rob@rar) and Scott's (skimottaret) tuition.

[signed] InsideOut Groupie wink

I was sorely tempted, especially given the chance to meet other SnowHeads. As I don't have a car, Hemel is nigh-on inaccessible for me I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

beeorchid wrote:

Very reassuring to hear someone has come out of tuition at Sheffield as a competent skier. I'll ring up and see when they can get me on a "learn in a weekend" course and that'll give me a taster of how to ski and that's when I'll go to Chillfactore for some enjoyable learning on snow. So skir67, expect me to bother you in the future as to when the best time to come up for a couple of hours of quiet skiing is.

Hope you have a great time at Sheffield. Happy to give any advice that might be useful.
Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Astraeus, please please do the plastic first, save yourself a bundle and learn to ski on a surface that is slower therefore easier for you to control. Once you have mastered the technique then go to Chillfactore to put that technique to use in a more high speed environment!

I can see your point ....BUT the plastic is a nasty surface to fall on, fingers and thumbs broken and dislocated and stuff, i found it very difficult to gain any kind of confidence, my wife who had never skied b4 hated it to the degree that it put her off the thought of skiing for several years. Then came Hemel, she bit he big one last year, 'cos my son is now old enough to learn as well, and agreed to try a week "some where easy", so after a little research i decided on Arinsal, My son started lessons at Hemel, my wife liked the look of and decided to do the guided ladies morning on wed mornings, she is kind of hooked(which is a very large relief from me)she loves it and keeps booking 1/2 day hols at work to go to Hemel.
I'd say straight to snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

slower therefore easier for you to control

I would not be totally convinced by this?? Turning on dendex and snowflex is much less forgiving than on Snow or 'freezer ice' (IMHO) and even when kept properly wet it does not make learning as rapid, easy or as rewarding as snow.

ricfrench, My better half also hates plastic to the point she will never ski on it again even for a pre trip refresher.

But I guess each to their own Very Happy and as long as you realise the two surfaces are worlds apart then you will be fine
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Quote:

slower therefore easier for you to control

I would not be totally convinced by this?? Turning on dendex and snowflex is much less forgiving than on Snow or 'freezer ice' (IMHO) and even when kept properly wet it does not make learning as rapid, easy or as rewarding as snow.

Yes it's harder to learn to ski on plastic, but the basic technique transfers easily and it's miles better than doing nothing. Snowdomes are better, but a lot more expensive and often very crowded.
Best to just get on with learning, whether on plastic, snow or both. The pay-off on your first real mountain trip can be very rewarding if you make a big effort to become competent beforehand.

I can still remember my first taste of real snow in Switzerland some 30 years ago after learning and skiing regularly on plastic at Rossendale. I was well accustomed to wearing ski boots, shuffling around on skis, riding pomas and, most importantly, I could actually ski from the start. In fact I thought the snow made it considerably easier to turn and stop quickly. Others in the group who had just rocked up were still working out how to clip up their boots by the time I'd confidently skied my first blue runs.

Learning on plastic and/or snowdomes is a no-brainer if you want to become a competent skier quickly. It's not as fun as the real thing, but you can learn all the techniques you need to really get going.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
uktrailmonster wrote:
Best to just get on with learning, whether on plastic, snow or both.

I think that's good advice, with one small caveat: try to find a good instructor who can help you establish good foundation skills.
ski holidays
Well I've booked on to the weekend course at Sheffield Ski Village - £80 for eight hours tuition over two days plus two hours of recreational skiing. And having seen the snowfall on the ski village today, I can only hope that it hangs about - there were four-six inches today and it's snowing on fresh powder!

Once again, thank you all for your input. I hope the snow hangs around until Sunday now so I can get the cheapest on-snow experience possible!
ski holidays
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

Snowdomes are better, but a lot more expensive and often very crowded.

Agreed Smile and I do spend a lot of time on plastic so Im not 'allergic' too it but my OH just hates it Sad

rob@rar, you are right I think that is more important than the surface
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy