Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Walkie Talkies

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
PTT or Press To Talk is a basic function of every PMR and I can't imagine one sold without it. VOX is voice activated transmission and is standard also on the majority of the PMR sets I come across, unless the PMR is intended as a toy for children.

VOX takes a bit of getting use to as the initial voice is only used to activate the transimission and therefore not sent so the sender must repeat the message again. The wind noise does trigger the reception but that it also depends on how fast you are travelling and the location of the mic. I had tried a PMR on motorbike and above 30mph it is pretty useless. Although motorcycling accessories do have special sets, designed for filtering the wind noise, sold for an arm and a leg. There is also a big difference between manufacturers. All singing all dancing PMRs sold at a fraction of the price are unlikely to offer satisfactory VOX.

To me the best use of a PMR is still PTT and the users should be stationary in order to get the best reception. The proper PMR will have selectable ring tones so that a skier can be alerted first, have time stop at a safe location and then answer back to talk. Talking to each other while travelling at a break neck speed would require professional modification with design circuitries to distinguish between human voice and wind noise with VOX.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy