Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland - currently the best snow in Europe.

Poster: A snowHead
Seems that Scotland currently has the best snow in Europe! Very Happy

For the last 2 weeks there has been a huge high pressure system located over the northern half of Europe. This system has been sucking cold artic weather systems across Scotland - resulting in copious snowfalls. Cairngorm has received an epic 100cm of fresh snow in the last week! Incidentally the same weather system is also what is responsible for recently bringing rain to higher levels in the alps.

Here is a few pictures of some deep pow turns on local turf.

Ski anywhere cover in Coire Cas. I challenge you to find a single rock.

Well frozen to sea level. Even some of the sea lochs have ice in them!

Ben cranks some big wide pow turns.

Grigor roots into a nice tight scottish couloir. Or is it a gully ?

We spied a few peeps making some fun off piste turns under the rising moon.

The off piste has been epic, however the avalanche risk is steadily getting bigger without any sign of a freeze thaw to consolidate the masses of fresh snow.

Over on the west coast Glencoe has had its earliest opening since 1996. Nevis Range is also up and running. West coast conditions are great for early season - though still a little rocky below 3000ft / 600m.

Crowds on the west coast have been a little quieter - and the snow is still good. Just not quite so deep.
Empty & wide pistes on the Happy Valley at Glencoe.

Enjoy the snow whilst it last folks. Scotland is clearly 'going off'.
Anyone else been out and about - post up your pics of the best snow in the Europe Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
great to see such great conditions within britain. Only if every season could be like this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
And the Lecht is breathtaking. Happy

Not as long runs but you can get the speed up without having to dodge the masses.

Cheers
Bob
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wow! If we could be guaranteed this 2 months of every year I'd sign up! The only problem with the Lecht is getting home... wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Those are remarkable conditions for the beginning of Jan. Amazing!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yep and I'm crying just now. Sniff!! Sad

I mucked up my trip to Norway, but came back up her eto Moray without my skis. What a numpty I am. Happy

Cheers
Bob
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Glenshee also has a fine base of snow, though mainly between the snow fences. A few rocks visible outside the main runs. This weather takes me back to the 60s when we skiied from December to April, and sometimes into May !
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Haggis_Trap, really good stuff. It's looking like being a pity to be going to Switzerland later this month (not that that won't be fun) when so much quality is available on one's doorstep - it's a shame I have to book a holiday so far in advance.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah, I'd love to come up but I can't. Sounds great.

Still, I'm off to the Alps in 13 days Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haggis_Trap wrote:

A remarkable observation for the beginning of Jan. Do we have any stats on the quantity of precipitation in these storms?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

A remarkable observation for the beginning of Jan. Do we have any stats on the quantity of precipitation in these storms?

Cairngorm is saying "There is now about 100cm of snow which has fallen over the last week or so"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Cairngorm is saying "There is now about 100cm of snow which has fallen over the last week or so"
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

My daughter has been in Aviemore since Hogmany and can't get up because they keep closing the road.
Shocked
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Scotland - currently the best snow in Europe

Of course (as I understand it) this claim came from the PR dept of Cairngorm Mountain, which has not necessarily researched the best available snow conditions across Europe.

It's best not to get carried away, whether it's on a tidal wave/avalanche of marketing euphoria or a blood wagon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Of course (as I understand it) this claim came from the PR dept of Cairngorm Mountain, which has not necessarily researched the best available snow conditions across Europe.

^ I actually called 'best snow in Europe' on the TGR 'snow for the euros' thread 5 days ago.
Well before the Cairngorm marketting dept wink

Of course such statements are always speculation - however the quality, and volume, of snow in Scotland is simply phenomenal. 100cm in 6 days. The skiing at home is currently as good as you will find anywhere else in Europe right now. Happy days Very Happy

Is this a car ?(photo from SAIS)
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, That looks like a gritter they lost for 10 days on a road about a mile from here when I was a kid!
latest report
Quote:

Seems that Scotland currently has the best snow in Europe!

Someone would need to move Scotland to Europe to make that remotely true.
snow conditions
Hmm last time I looked we were in Europe. Happy
snow report
Seems to be pretty good snow in parts of England, Wales and Ireland at the moment also, will be soon see Europeans coming here in search of pow!!!
snow conditions
Quote:

Someone would need to move Scotland to Europe to make that remotely true

Lol
latest report
Just come back from a week of being rained on in St Gervais... pft!
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, nailed. Good job.
ski holidays
Just back, about half an hour ago, from just over 2 weeks at Cairngorm and I can honestly say the conditions are simply awesome! The amount of snow coming down reminded me of a snow storm in Mammoth, California a couple of years ago when it was coming down at 2 to 3 inches an hour, there really is that much snow up there, it's absolutely stunning!

Would advise anyone looking for a last minute early January trip to seriously consider Scotland - conditions are simply unprecedented (at least since the 60s) and this is set to continue, according to the forecasts for at least another couple of weeks.
ski holidays
Just got back from a day trip to Glenshee, superb conditions, have to echo roga's comment, anyone thinking of a last minute trip, just head north.
ski holidays
I spent two winters working on Cairngorm - 1974-5 (full-time) and 1975-6 (weekends etc) - which were pretty fine seasons for snow. But the photos and reports here indicate quite incredible conditions, in the context of the past 25 years of often problematic winters, which have led to the marked decline in the fortunes of Scottish skiing. You sometimes see accumulations like this building into March etc., but we're only a few weeks into the season.

There must be significant problems of lift station burial. Is there a lot of digging-out going on? How is the funicular track coping with all the drifting etc.?
latest report
Quote:
There must be significant problems of lift station burial. Is there a lot of digging-out going on? How is the funicular track coping with all the drifting etc.?

Not really, as the most noteworthy thing for the mountains in this cold spell as been the relative lack of wind. A moderate wind from a Southerly quarter would bury the Funicular tunnel out of site though! Before the end of the cold spell we could actually do with a decent blow to focus the snow into the gullies, natural snow fields and what's left showing of the fences. The Piste Basher crew are pisting slight troughs/banks by fence lines so snow continues to catch on these areas in the slight drifting we're getting.

The persistence of the cold spell at low levels is definitely getting noteworthy and it's undoubtedly the snowiest Christmas period for some time. As with January's big dumps in 2008 that started just at the tail end of the holiday period, snow at this time catches peoples imagination - it's when most people are looking for snow (white Christmas and all that), so it's really good for keeping the interest up for the season, where as a season that the snow comes late, doesn't always catch on in the same way.
snow conditions
Quote:
conditions are simply unprecedented (at least since the 60s)

Loads of snow for sure - especially for the time of year. However 2001 & 1994 were both snowy winters - plus several others in the 1980s. There is still a long way to go before those snow depths are passed. Though who knows what might happen given the start to this year...

Its meant to stay below freezing at all levels for the next 7-10 days (maybe longer). So, as Roga suggests, if your looking for a last minute trip then Scotland could be an interesting option. Just be aware that conditions can change, for better or worse, quickly!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy