Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

This week i've been reminded how good Scottish skiing can be

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
First post for a while, so hello and a happy new year to every snowhead!

I've been lucky in the last week to ski twice on fresh snow at Cairngorm Mountain under blue skies on fresh snow with no wind. On boxing day, i swear it is one of the best days skiing i've had in europe. Sure the lift system is left behind by our continental neighbours, but on a quiet boxing day, that didn't matter as we were treated to skiing in a true mountain wildnerness with no queues and dawn til dusk skiing Very Happy

I'll let my pictures speak for themselves though!

Me off piste heading down to the white lady.

Bro' taking a break on the hike up to the summit

Fresh Lines from Cairn Gorm summit

Finding fresh snow next to the old lifts

Stunning views looking west from Cairn Gorm

Me skiing from the summit after a hike up.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great pics!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, Amazing, especially that third pic of the boarder that looks really sweet and deep, they say Scotland is as good as anywhere on the right day, looks like you picked it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Fantastic, thanks for posting.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks fantastic, really making me want to get a trip sorted for next week now. I hear theres been another 20 plus inches fallen too at Cairngorm and the Lecht.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly, Great pictures Very Happy Very Happy

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have a look at these two views from the SSC hut camera
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/file.php?2,file=5851

Shows just how much snow has fallen.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wowsers, impressive!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How does the danger off piste align with the real heavy deep falls in the alps? Do you get similar avalanche risk in the UK or is the snow never deep enough.

The pictures look great though. Do they make pistes with a basher in Scotland so you get a good base if you are a piste skier, or is it all 'risk your bases' stuff on an unpisted surface?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You must have missed this story a couple of days ago.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8436443.stm

Rare but not unknown for skiers to get avalanched. There is one lucky bloke called 'Avvy' Ally who I met at Glencoe a couple of years ago, guess how he got that nickname. The pictures from the incident are out on the internet somewhere.

Also at Glencoe, I met another chap who set off an avalanche on Carn Aosda, Glenshee & was widely criticised on the winterhighland forum at the time for not appreciating the danger he had put himself into.

There are pistes at all the resorts, Glencoe often just piste a few bits of the mountain (the green & blue runs) but much of the mountainside is pisted at Glenshee & the Lecht. The mountains are heathery not rocky there so the snow blows off them (& onto the road) if it's windy so pisting & fences are necessary.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fantastic
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
shoogly, awesome. Reminds me of January 1985. That off piste bit leading down to the White Lady had full cover then. I'm heading up there end of the month for a few days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Great pictures but where are the trees Puzzled

From the posts on snowHead i thought it was only Tignes that did not have trees wink wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum,

Just as much chance of an avalanche here as in mainland Europe when the conditions are right. When I did my avi awareness cause the instructor did say that burials were rare in scotland (though as Avi Ally can testify they do happen), but Scottish avalanches are just as dangerous as they will take you at speed and batter you against the terrain features even if they don't bury you. Have a look at http://www.sais.gov.uk/about-avalanches.asp . Lots of other useful info on the site aswell as the latest forecasts at http://www.sais.gov.uk/latest-forecasts.asp

Plus in the resorts the areas no longer (afaik) have the ability to do much in the way of avi control (no explosive store or licence) so if there is an avi risk affected runs will be closed until the risk goes away naturally.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy