Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another World: trip report and Resort Review

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry I missed everyone (again!).

I was unexpectedly called into service to ferry my youngest to his footy training rolling eyes

Anyone about tomorrow?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MoshaMarc that is a real shame!

It was certainly a lot busier than last week - so much that there was an equipment shortage with those not lucky enough to be going equipped often having to wait for some to be returned. The one rope tow going out of service for a while did mean a bit of a queue for the other, but nothing like those we saw at ChillFactor-e a few weeks ago and Andy soon had the tow genny working again. It was a fab day and a real joy to be skiing outdoors again with plenty of space for everybody - a great atmosphere & the sun even came out to play this afternoon with wall-to-wall blue sky for a short time snowHead. I seem to have a slightly pink nose tonight - who'd think it possible to get a touch of the sun here in January???
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a complete laugh! Not to mention the surreal feeling of skiing outdoors on real snow in Engerland! Complete with horses grazing in the next field!

The snow was great. Feels so much faster and lighter than fridge snow. Although busy and big queue for the lift (and my discovery that I can't do rope lifts!), it were huge fun. Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
yep I was there - great day out! even got some air off a couple of those kickers! and the pow in the tree bit behind the the right hand lift was immense!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia wrote:
and my discovery that I can't do rope lifts!
.... but you did when you used your secret weapon Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pictures ?? anyone Madeye-Smiley

We need proof Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got there !

Left my sandwiches and spare hats in the kitchen damnit!

Anyway, thank to the staff, A well run and pleasant facility. Junk food and coffe made up for lack of sarnies.

Plentiful snow and a nice runout bit at the bottom of the left hand lift where beginners could pratice without too much fear of crashing. Well, maybe a bit.

Yes they do seem to hire out kit to people with no experience, but it's wel designed and the the young (local sounding) folk who I saw trying the bottom part of the run, came to no harm. They bailed out before they got to the stone wall.

Try as you might, I think you'd have trouble hitting the trees if you launched from the top.

The A65 and A 695 were clear, so my journey was easy. Note to Mitsubishi Shogun driver in Denholme, if the road looks black, it's probably safe to exceed 20mph.

Parking was easy. I was a little worried when I saw cars parked in the entrance road, but there seems to be an extra car park beyond the one where I stopped, so no problems.

I noticed some folk on short skis, possibly evolutif ? thye looked like they were possibly site skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

This do for starters Bones?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thirty06 wrote:
Note to Mitsubishi Shogun driver in Denholme, if the road looks black, it's probably safe to exceed 20mph.

Black ice? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Butterfly wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Go on...what's her secret weapon??

Sounds like you had a lovely day out sorry we couldn't make it but I did get to ski myself today on snow and outdoors.....at Ski Rossendale! The in-laws live down the road and we were going there so chucked the kit in the car and thought we'd see how it looked, anyway it was pretty well covered and not too busy so we had a go! Good fun indeed! Must be 20 years or so since I last skied there.

Guess what the icing on the cake was? The cafe still serves hot Vimto Laughing Some things never change, especially in the Rossendale Valley!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideshow Bob

Black ice? Puzzled

Not when the red stuuf is patently rock salt. No, this was just someone freaked out by a few flakes of snow. Granted that black ice is a risk on untreated raods after a hard frost, but at midday with the sun out, it's unlikely to form. If you do meet it, dropping your speed to ten below the limit is not much help at all, just hope you're pointing at something a) soft and b) inexpensive.

Having seen Shoguns abandoned beside the road in Norf Lunnun after snow falls there, I wonder if they are really more designed for deserts and such.

Anywise, roads to Another World from South Cumbria were pleasantly free of snow and ice, except for the bit out of my estate whoch resolutley refuses to thaw and now looks like the top of Les Arcs, not the noce bit, but the bit at the top of the cable car that you do once and then decide not to bother with again.

Sarah

Nice to know that Rossendale is open. Kendal dry slope has been covered in solid ice for over a week and is deemed unusable Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thirty06, you didn't mention red stuff in your post, nor the time of day you went. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at your driving or judgment, just saying a black-looking road doesn't necessarily mean a safe road. Anyway, don't mind me, I'm just peed off as I've been tailgated too many times by idiot drivers in non-gritted black ice/snowy conditions recently, including one woman who drove right behind me in fresh falling snow. When I had to stop for a junciton/traffic lights she locked up and skidded several to a halt just inches from my rear bumper not once but twice. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Ooh - not sure I should say - she may be patenting it Laughing

Glad you had fun at Rossendale - shame it wasn't possible for you to come out to play with us.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Butterfly wrote:
sarah wrote:
Butterfly wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Ooh - not sure I should say - she may be patenting it Laughing

Come on, this is a community of fellow skiing enthusiasts snowHead . We need to know Queen Bodicea's secret weapon! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
LOL! Not sure I'd call it a secret weapon!

I was having a problem with the rope lift because the rope just kept slipping through my gloved hands, to the point where I started going backwards and then had to bail out. So having not reached the top of the lift and having had to remember how to side-step (!) I started trying a few different techniques. I think the problem was my soft gloves and the fact that my left arm is weak from a compound Colles fracture a couple of years ago.

I'd used a rope lift in Kitzbuhel before that had evenly spaced rubbery handhold bits, no problems with that. In fact it occurred to me that Andy Smith could perhaps replicate this trick with gaffa tape? Although no one else seemed to be having as much bother as me.

Anyway, I solved the problem by holding on to my poles and the rope together. Not sure how this worked but it meant my gloved palms were gripping the poles rather than the rope. It felt quite unwieldy but got me to the top of the lift. Hurrah!
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Pair of huge Marigold overgloves needed perhaps Laughing

When Butterfly spoke of a secret weapon I thought you had devised some kind of personal clip on button that you could hook on and off!

How were the skis?
snow conditions
sarah, the skis were great, I enjoyed them even more yesterday. They felt much faster on natural snow. I'm very happy with them.

Now a clip for rope tows sounds like a marvelous idea! Very Happy
ski holidays
Well my left arm and hand were sooooooooooo achy yesterday, next week (heres hoping Ullr is kind to us and the snow lasts to next weekend!) must alternate between the 2 tows more! Might even take the board and try that for the day . . .

Anyway, i have a few photos and videos (including evidence of our very own Butterfly on those rollers like a ski cross pro in the making!) which i'm going to attempt to upload now . . .
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
sarah, the skis were great, I enjoyed them even more yesterday. They felt much faster on natural snow. I'm very happy with them.

Now a clip for rope tows sounds like a marvelous idea! Very Happy

Brilliant!

Pretty sure some kind of clip exists, years ago used to see people at Rossendale hooking on and off, don't know what they are and if you can still get them Puzzled

Can't wait to see the vid snobunni!
latest report
Arrival

Queen B

Mr SB

Snobunni and Mr SB

Butterfly setting up for the rollers

Butterfly exiting the rollers, graceful as ever

Packing up to head home Crying or Very sad

latest report
Right now the videos, if i can work out how to post them . . .

Mr SB going all corporate and panning across the resort

Me playing on the rollers

Queen B squealing through the rollers

And last but not least video proof of Butterfly gracefully sliding over the rollers

snow conditions
Great pics snobunni!! Didn't realise there were videos too. Must remember to practise my sound effects a bit better, lol! Laughing

Such a fun day.
snow report
queen bodecia, very fun day . . . if it stays cold enough to you fancy another trip up next Sunday (has to be sunday so Danny can come too)
ski holidays
snobunni, yep! Count me in! Hope to have my salopettes repaired by then (lent the manky grey ones to my sister to wear to take the kids sledging). If not, I'll ski in joggers, I saw plenty of hardened Yorkshire folk doing that yesterday! Very Happy
snow report
queen bodecia, yeah but your from t'wrong side o't'pennines for that mi duck! Your not hard as nails like them Yorkshire folk!
snow report
snobunni, very true. But I don't fall over as much as these Yorkshire folk who reckon they can ski with no experience and no instruction! Very Happy
latest report
queen bodecia, gotta love that attitude, never skied before so i'll go to the top of the hill through myself down and master it on the way!
ski holidays
snobunni, only in Yorkshire, lol! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not to mention the assistance of the 20-year-old equipment! Laughing
ski holidays
"Ay up I can go reet fast.... err.... where are t'brakes on these planks.. ?Shocked Laughing " (I can take the 'p' fearlessly, being a registered tyke m'sen Cool )

queen bodecia, been thinking (everybody hide!!) How about putting a couple of thick elastic bands round the poles just below the handles and sandwiching the tow rope between them at that point?

Snobunni, love the cats - Rexes?
snow report
Butterfly, yep Devons, they're much bigger now at coming up to 6months so they almost fit their ears now and are nearly covered in fur now (still pink skinned sausage bellies though lol)
latest report
We went today for our first visit. A few observations:

They were obviously busier than they have ever been before, the queue was out of the (garage!) door at 10.30. Even if you had your own equipment, you still had to queue up with everyone else, taking 40mins just to pay to get on the slope Crying or Very sad

I did get a chance to have a good look at the hire equipment, its mainly early 80's straight skis and rear entry single clip boots. I was very concerned at the standard of boot to ski fitting, not once did I see any DIN settings changed and the release was'nt checked either. I saw lots of early releases on the hill, so I guess the DIN settings sre simply set and kept very low.

There were 2 portable rope tows running, both about 100m long. Neither of the slopes have any challenges, they are much easier than even the domes and anyone who's done more than a week will get bored very quickly. However there are quite a few jumps which keeps the freestylers happy. There were also some nice rollers and short run through the trees, which is the nicest run on the hill.

Overall,after the initial excitement of lift served skiing on real snow in Yorkshire has worn off, its not great. If I lived 10 mins away I think I would be happy nipping up for an hour at night to help get ski fit, but I dont think its worth much of a drive. The only saving grace is that you seem to be allowed to teach on the slope (unlike all the domes and dry slopes) and the beginners area at the bottom of the far lift is great. I might use it to introduce new freinds to skiing.

At £15 for a day with your own equipment I felt it was expensive and IMHO £17 for a day at Ski Rossendale is better value.

I realise this sounds like a very negative post, but I'm trying to give an honest view.
snow conditions
snobunni, lovely pics and vids, thanks for posting them! Cats are gorgeous Very Happy

queen bodecia, love the new jacket, fab colour.

Butterfly, you is da babe on da rollers Very Happy Fantastic!
snow conditions
I'm jealous and I'm in Verbier! snowHead
snow conditions
landlockedpirate,

Fair points, but I would just be glad to have a lift. I spent all of yesterday hiking up forestry trails for a few minutes of skiing. Had to build a wee kicker to entertain myself.
snow report
sarah, Thanks!

landlockedpirate, for those like me who battle with confidence it IS definitely worth a drive. I think it's also worth it simply for the experience of skiing outdoors with a few friends within a reasonable drive of home - novelty factor partly I guess. I far prefer it to an indoor facility simply because it's natural and the terrain is varied - in two visits I've skied fresh powder, little bumps, trees & rollers as well as simply going down near the two tows. As for them coping with a crowd, I think numbers have far exceeded expectation as word has spread. Did you say £15? It's £10 with your own kit - that's what we paid and is what it says on the website.
ski holidays
Quote:

Did you say £15? It's £10 with your own kit

Oh well, thats something else then. I was charged £30 for 1 adult and 2 children.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, I just wanted to put another view point across.
ski holidays
landlockedpirate, I've never been there myself, but you seem to have unreasonable expectations of a place that was never designed as a ski centre inthe first place. It's clearly been enjoyed by everyone else who went there, and they probably don't even know what a DIN setting is - Caveat Emptore, but perhaps you're a Health and Safety person with a handy lawyer in tow?

I realise this is a negative post, but this is just the way to stop everyone having a bit of fun.

Butterfly, Well done. Very Happy
ski holidays
easiski,

I have no idea wether the place was designed as a ski centre, but they are a business that promotes them selves as a ski centre. Front page of the website:
'Another World Real Snow Ski Centre'

I'm not a H&S nut, but not checking the bindings let alone the DIN settings is just stupid. These skis are at least 20 years old and some probably havent been used in years.

I didnt have unreasonable expectations, I had already seen pictures of the garage ski room etc. My post was aimed at more experienced skiers who may have been tempted to give it a try - as I was - and to let them know that the reality didnt really match upto the website claims of suitable for intermediates and 500ft runs (Well they may be if you walk up an extra 50 at the top and 100 at the bottom.)

I'm glad that people enjoyed it, I agree the terrain is more varied than the fridges, but its not for me.
snow conditions
It's a mountain boarding centre, hence why the terrain has jumps and rollers. It just so happens that it's situated in the hills above Halifax and sometimes has enough snow to ski on. I expect this season has seen the best conditions for skiing for many years.

Judging by the age of the hire equipment, there hasn't been enough revenue to justify replacing it since these conditions are a bit of a rarity. However, although fairly historic, the hire skis didn't look to be in bad condition, not so sure about the boots.

For me, the essence of the visit was the ability to ski on real natural snow outdoors in England and have a laugh with like-minded people. Who knows when another opportunity like that will arise?

It's certainly not a facility that's trying to compete with the snowdomes, for a start, there's no instruction (unless you count me trying to show an absolute beginner local lass how to snowplough with her snowboarder boyfriend shouting encouraging comments such as, “come on! how hard can it be?”).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy