Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for warm hands?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I used to suffer with cold hands skiing, but changed to mittens, problem solved, until the mittens get worn and have been washed a few times they need replacing. if really cold then I wear glove liners too, I tried to find mitten liners but dont think they exist!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plunging your hands in ice cold water may make your hands feel warmer after your take them out of the water and dry them. Your body is basically warming your hands up by diverting warm blood from your body core to your hands. Therefore for a very short time your hands may warm up. However your body is losing warmth and in the longer term you will feel colder and more critically your body core has lost warmth.

The best solution is to retain the heat in your body using good gloves, mitts and warm clothing to keep your whole body warm. Also you need to get heat from external sources, hand warmers, a hot drink or an external heater/fire.

Your hands are cold because your body is trying to retain body heat by diverting warm blood from your extemities to your body core. Frost bite occurs when your extremities are starved of oxygen for a long period (supplied by your blood). However if your body core temperature lowers by a small amount you get hypothermia.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
allanm wrote:
ifiboard, I always have a second pair of gloves in my rucksack,

I do too after, years ago, seeing a friend drop a glove in the first couple of minutes on the first chair lift of the day. Ouch, did he have cold fingers by the time he skied down to find it again... Skullie

I've never had to use the spares on the slopes, but did when I left my best gloves in the boot change room and they'd gone when I went back...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't have such aproblem skiing, but in my motor cycle courier days I discovered.

1) avoid windchill, a windproof top layer is better than wind permeable fabrics. Motocross hand guards worked on a bike, possibly slalom hand protectors would work. 2 cut down plastic bottles round the top of your poles might do it.

2) Dry is better. Waterproof overmitts on the bike, maybe there's something similar for skiers\climbers. Try to avoid habits that mean you have to handle cold wet things.

3) Inner gloves vary a lot. Meraklon is pretty good and Damart sell it. I had two paors of meralon iners and the difference was marked, one pair wer about twice as good. Get two pairs of iners, swap when a pair gets cold or wet.

4) add heat. Hated grips on the bike. Heated poles ? C'mon it's a great idea, just pull the grip off stuff some batteries down it and fit a resistor in the top. Plug in to recharge. Charcoal handwamers last a long time and bring quite a bit of relief.

5) Find heat. Dodge from bog to bog using the hot air hand drier to help your hands and dry\warm your gloves.

6) Wrists cool your hands. The blood vessels over your wrists are exposed and can lose a lot of heat, avoid short wet or loose sleeves. Jackets now come with wrist covers, this may help.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thirty06, I saw an old (black+white) episode of Tommorws World last year that featured heated ski poles. Powered by gas canisters. Like most of the things featured, I guess they never made it into production. Shame really for those that suffer cold hands.

welshflyer, The "rub your hands in snow" technique is only a few seconds in the snow and won't result in loosing enough heat to cause hypothermia. It's a trick recommended to me by both an experienced mountaineer and an ex-royal marine winter warfare instructor and also seen on TV with Ray Mears.

adrian
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
aqt: Ecclesiastes 1, 9. there were probably bronze age antler poles with braziers in.

I've seen the rub in snow technique recommended and deprecated. I think it's out of favour in some quarters because people try to use it when things have gone too far and there's a real danger of frostbite.

I do recall that in my yout, sheepskin mittens were very effective. Of course later I felt a bit conspicuous wearing them with the grey duffel coat and bit of string up th sleeves, but my hands were never as warm when I 'grew up' and insisted on wearing gloves.

Does Silverman's army surplus haveanything to offer. Some military surplus winter kit is pretty good.

Here you go: www.silvermans.co.uk item 25017,
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
forum blew up, duplicate removed

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 13-01-10 21:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You considered going to see a doctor to see whether you have Raynaud's disease? Its best to know whether you do or don't if cold extremities are a real problem, eg losing feeling/pain. If you have already been diagnosed and just explained it in a way most people would understand then ignore me Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
agt, a few seconds in snow would guarantee I'd have no circulation in fingers for at least 30mins.... NOT a good way to start my day
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice folks. I do have very bad circulation and have tried out most of the suggestions already. Unfortunately as I have got older the problems has got worse

Mittens seem to be popular but when I tried them all I got was cold thumbs Shocked

Doesn't seem like anyone's tried the heated finger gloves Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy