Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya- been a while! (Though have a little read now and again Wink )

Just booked a week in Wengen with my brother for the 23rd of Jan- staying at the Falken hotel. Pretty good deal I thought- £509 each, that's half board, flights and transfers, with Inghams.
Flying with Hamburg to Berne - looks to be a ski charter type flight, anyone had experience with them? Hope they're not too shabby or full of oiks, mind you for the price can't expect too much!

More to the point though, anyone just been to Wengen and know what the conditions are like? Checked the Jungfrau thread but it's a little unclear. Hopefully it'll be nice by the end of the month, my musings so far would seem there's a fair bit of the snow about to be starting with.

Anyone got any tips for ski passes and hire? Want some decent hire gear so recommendations welcomed Smile

I've read it's a bit of a trek to get to the different ski areas, what experience does anyone have? Annoyingly we won't arrive in resort till the early evening so won't be able to get a good look around really- as we all know Sunday morning you just want to get some sliding in ASAP Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eddyr, you are going to love the Falken - it is a real blast from the past - and I'd love to stay there. Tends to attract a more traditional clientele I think. Main problem is it is a walk up to it.

Still 3 weeks away so pointless speculating on what the snow will be like. One year at that time of the year there was so much that an avalanche took out the bottom cable car station a few days after I left.

Hope you like travelling by small cog-railways...!

One snowHead (Johnyluvplums ) certainly used to work in the biggest gear hire shop there.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eddyr, Central Sports for ski hire, let them know you're a snowHead , they gave me discount for ski and boot storage there. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stoatsbrother wrote:
eddyr
Still 3 weeks away so pointless speculating on what the snow will be like. One year at that time of the year there was so much that an avalanche took out the bottom cable car station a few days after I left.

That was a bad avalanche and sadly killed 2 people who owned Cafe Oberland
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chris Brookes, actually that was a different avalanche, but yes that was a very bad year Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eddyr, As stoatsbrother says, the Hotel Falken is a real blast from the past. I've never actually stayed there, but frequently visited it in the evening to hear the excellent jazz pianist Al Copley who plays in the Hotel Bar. The Falken has been in the ownership of the Cova family for generations. Some years ago I think the roof leaked (hence it's nickname of Fawlty Towers Madeye-Smiley ), however when the current owner Sina Cova took over the running of it I believe one of the first things she did was to get a bank loan to get the roof fixed, so I'm sure your room will be OK now. Toofy Grin

Also, as geepee says Central Sports in the main street will be able to kit you out with any equipment hire you need (they even stock some telemark gear if you want to give that a try!). Snowhead Johnnyluvplums still works there, just ask for him by name. Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink, to be fair she didn't just fix the roof she took the old roof off and had a completely new one put on, she also had the balconies repaired or replaced, somewhat important as in some cases the old ones appeared to be held on by string and prayers, they also repaired the glassed in entrance area, the hotel still has a lot of its Victorian/Edwardian charm and appearence and a very plesant bar area, I've not eaten there though so maybe eddyr, could give us a report back on the food when he returns ?

Flying into Bern is a great way to get to the area, hopefully you should have a transfer bus that will pick you up from the airport and take you to Lauterbrunnen, my record at Bern was just a few minutes over the hour from touchdown of aircraft to arrival at hotel but I was lucky at Lauterbrunnen to be able to get straight off the coach and onto a train, a more realistic time would be 90mins to 2hrs max from aircraft landing, considering that at Geneva it took me 30mins to get past pasport control on more than one occasion I think that's pretty good
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, The bumph says around an hour and 15 mins so I'm really pleased about that- didn't pay much attention to it when I booked but it's definately a blessing, not a fan of long transfers so it'll be a pleasant change!
Flight on the way home isn't until after 3PM so god knows what they'll have us do that morning... Still- worry about that after I've enjoyed myself!

I'll certainly let you know about the food!

Hmmm not sure I'll be able to keep a straight face asking for someone by the name of "johnnyluvplums"!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddyr, you could ask for stab - you'll get the same bloke. We have used central sport every year we have been excellent service etc.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
eddyr, The exact tranfer time depends on the trains and weather or not anyone was silly enough to be staying in Interlaken, if know one is going to Interlaken the transfer bus goes straight to Lauterbrunnen to the station, where theres a train every 30 mins so obviously if you miss a train and something goes wrong at Bern airport you might be delayed a bit longer, Bern airport however is tiny, get off the plane with your passport in hand becuse passport control is imediately through the door, right behind the passport control you will get tehsingle baggage carousel and right behind that is the way out, there will usually be a transfer coach and Inghams rep right outside waiting for you
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks- small airports have their upsides! (but are rubbish if there's delays- nothing but walls to stare at...!)

I'm under orders to bring back some white chocolate among other things, and read that Interlaken is the better shopping destination, does the area lift pass cover taking the train down to there and back do you know?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You can get to Interlaken Ost with the full pass (also covers Murren and Grindelwald areas as well) however you can pick up reasonably priced big bars of all types of chocolate in Wengen as well. If you do go to Interlaken there used to be a chocolate shop about half way between Ost and West stations (an easy level walk taking maybe 30 mins) going from Ost it was on the left hand side of the road and used to hve big trays of broken chocolate in the front window.

Alternatively have a look in Cafe Schu (sp?) again on left going from OST station just past the open ground. They do hand made truffels of many varieties which are a little expensive but very very nice.

Oh and Bern airport has reasonable views and a comfortable waiting area, not much in the way of shopping though

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 2-01-10 18:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
eddyr, yes
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eddyr, i hope you are going to pop across and up to Murren 1650m while you are in the region !

and of course the Schilthorn @ 3000m above Murren

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
D G Orf, You know your chocolate shops Wink , thanks!

Chris Brookes, Looks good so I shall certainly have a go, hope to get about as much as possible- max out the week! My brother having spent 3 weeks in New Zealand is now pretty alright at skiing by all accounts so hopefully we can rip it up!
latest report
Question- my brother needs a new ski jacket really, buthasn't found much he likes within a sensible price yet, what are the prices like in the Wengen shops and is there much to choose from? Just an idea should he not find anything by then!
snow report
D G Orf , Hi, just a bit confused. Two threads for Wengen now. Or is this one just for Wengen and the other for whole Jungfrau region where strange Murrenphiles like Chris Brookes, can feel accepted and loved wink wink
ski holidays
Eddyr

Choice in the Wengan shops is reasonably good. It's expensive though - don't expect to find any bargains.
snow report
eddyr, what Skibb, says, buy from elsewhere, Jackets tend to be top quality in Wengen with prices to match, if your brother still needs a Jacket by then send him to Interlaken where he stands a better chance of finding something reasonable, possibly even in the local supermarkets there
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
I've not eaten there though so maybe eddyr, could give us a report back on the food when he returns ?

Won't be reviewing the Falken unfortunately Sad Inghams called this morning and the hotel is overbooked apparently- sounded as if it were the hotel that had overbooked
So... they've moved us to the Belvedere - looks alright to me, hopefully should have no problems!
snow conditions
Hmm Belvedere is ok, we got plenty of grub in the buffet each night and breakfasts were good as well however it's a bit of a hike uphill from teh center, I'd suggest you rent space at Central Sport and leave your skis and boots down there each night rather than carry them back to teh hotel
snow report
Is the Belvedere a better hotel and location than the Falken ?
snow conditions
eddyr, Well at least it will save you the walk up the hill
ski holidays
D G Orf, I was thinking about doing that as from Centrals website looks like they have very flashy lockers Smile
I hate walking in stupid ski boots so anything to save a bit of slog...

Any recent trip reports from anyone?

Oh- something I wanted to ask, any on mountain restaurants to avoid? Sure theres plenty of good ones- I suppose recomendations welcome too Wink
snow conditions
eddyr wrote:
D G Orf wrote:
I've not eaten there though so maybe eddyr, could give us a report back on the food when he returns ?

Won't be reviewing the Falken unfortunately Sad Inghams called this morning and the hotel is overbooked apparently- sounded as if it were the hotel that had overbooked
So... they've moved us to the Belvedere - looks alright to me, hopefully should have no problems!

So is the Belvedere rated the same as the Falken in Inghams, do you get compensation for the inconvenience moving further away from your required location or is it just the joys of going with TO's ??

How long was it after you booked it that they informed you that it was over booked ?
snow conditions
Booked it over the New Year weekend and had the call yesterday - the Belvedere is rated the same but slightly more expensive (think only very slightly)
Didn't push for anything else - perhaps I could have done, wouldn't get a great deal out of them I don't suppose. I'm not overly opportunist with these things, as long as I'm not worse off it's no big deal.
Re: required location - I don't know where the Falken is, don't really know where the Belvedere is - so couldn't comment!
snow report
The Belvedere is no worse than the Falken in terms of location. Sure the Falken is closer, but it's a steep hill. It's a flatter walk to the Belvedere, and only a minute further.
snow conditions
on the upside, The Belvedere has got to be closer to the Tanne Bar
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AdrianV wrote:
on the upside, The Belvedere has got to be closer to the Tanne Bar

and Sina's Very Happy
snow report
I'll be teaching in Wengen from 13 to 20 Feb - staying in Interlaken. Pretty busy during the day but happy to say hi to other Snowheads late afternoon on the slopes or of an evening in Interlaken.
snow report
eddyr, did Inghams / Air Hamburg last year and mixed experience. Despite fine weather on the way out we ended up landing at Basel not Berne, some bizarre story about Berne not having the right equipment to get the plane going again for the return leg same day?!!!! Wasn't that impressed at extra hour waiting for coach and 2 plus hour transfer afterwards. Way back was fine and Berne airport as described above, flights fine apart from ending up in the wrong location.

Found the moutain restaurants were consistently good if not cheap and really liked the Wengneralp restaurant and the apple fritters at Brandegg as recommened by Wengenites on the Jungfrau thread. Definitely worth the scenic blue run down to Brandegg and then get the train back up.
latest report
Rowlski, Fingers crossed no such diversions- we don't land till just past 3PM so wouldn't want to be too delayed as we won't arrive till rather late in the day at resort!

Just seen some of Wengen on TV - looks great!
latest report
Thinking about maybe buying some boots out there, do you think Central Sports will be good for doing so? (I've never had any problems with hired boots but would really like my own for many obvious reasons!)
snow conditions
eddyr, Well I've had boots from central before and been happy with them, but like many stores they only stock a limited range so they may have something to suit but then again.... I guess it depends on weather you have easy feet to fit to or not
ski holidays
I'll have a look I suppose, won't be going anywhere near a decent bootfitters before I leave so hopefully they might have something to suit, we shall see!
snow conditions
eddyr, I've not bought boots from Central Sport, but about 5 years ago I spent a lot of time in there getting by boots adjusted. I think the guy was called Phillip - very nice chap, despite me going back each day for a bot more tweaking!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy