Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding the low grade Gullies on The Ben?

subflux
subflux
Stupid Question Alert!

Am just getting into Snowboarding and am curious to know if it's do-able (for an experienced snowboarder) to board down the likes of the easy mountaineering grade (I, II) gullies on the north face of The Ben, the likes of number 2, number 3 and number 4 gullies?

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
it's done regularly (never by me, oh no no, nope, non, niet) - search on youtube and you'll find a few vids, also on winterhighland (think Tower gully is probably the most frequent but the others get done too), lots of maddies up around there Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Think Stevomcd on here has first hand experience of Tower Gully and possibly a couple of the other gully's?

As Barry says, check on youtube, some good footage there.

They are ball shrinkingly steep at the top though!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's doable, all the grade I gullies get done from time to time. (Tower, III, IV, V).

III and IV are probably the most frequently ridden as they're the easiest, but Tower has the kudos! wink

It is, as Backcountryboarder says, ludicrously steep at the top - over 50°, depending on the cornice build up. The top section is also exposed to a largish cliff below as well - you have to ride the top section, then cross over to the right to get into Observatory Gully. I rode it back in May 2007 from just below the cornice (climbed up first).

The helmet-cam vid on Youtube (just called Tower Gully or search for stevomcd) is me.

Gardyloo has supposedly been done by a visiting Chamonix guide... Shocked

If you want to get into this kind of riding, head to Nevis Range and ride the Back Corries. Once you're comfortable on the Coire Dubh headwall, then check out Easy Gully (the climber's access route into Coire an Lochain). It's way easier than any of the Nevis gullies and opens out quite quickly, but it's a good start. Fun to put the wind up all the cramponed-and-roped climbers too... Toofy Grin

Have a hunt around and see if you can get hold of Paul Raistrick's 2 films - "Pushing Winter" and "The Old Rock". He rides most of the lines on Nevis in those.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy