Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day or 2 day trip to Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to go sometime during next mid-week (not the bank holiday monday, but will at a stretch) to either Glenshee or Cairngorm. Days selected will be based on what the forecast says a day or two before (so may not even happen if the forecast is bad). Glenshee will take it if Glas Maol is opened up otherwise perhaps the gorm (also a bit dependant on the west wall poma staying open).

If its a one day dash then so be it, its a long journey, but its worth it for a good days skiing in Scotland (and I like to chuck them some lift pass money from time to time as would hate to see any of them go bust). Otherwise maybe two days skiing with late driving on either end (I can leave work from 4 fully packed) and getting a B+B at short notice. If doing 2 days could perhaps take in the shee and cairngorm.

I'm on merseyside and I'm looking for people to share the drive (no fun doing 8/10 hrs on your own) up and petrol costs (your car or mine).
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I might be up for this, looking to go myself this weekend/early week. Happy to drive as I have to come up that way anyway. Have the option of a Landcruiser if the weather is looking dodgy or an eco miser 1.4td Audi A2.

It's that or the Alps for a couple of days
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like your transport is probably better for snowy roads than mine and/or cheaper on juice as I am currently running a fwd petrol guzzling volvo (of course I can share driving no probs and I have had my fair share of doing transfers in snowy conditions on various alpine roads over the years). Could do this weekend, but weekends in scotland with decent weather and snow are usually mobbed. My probable preference would be Tuesday and or wednesday next week. Looking at the MWIS forecasts it appears this weekend its going to be dumping heavily and getting clearer on Monday, but still cloudy with snow showers (but that is a bank holiday in Scotland I think?). tuesdays forecast should appear tommorow.

Cptsideways, what are your thoughts?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am also planning a little midweeky break up on the slopes next week Smile cant share the travelling as I have some other stuff I need to do on the way up and back but was thinking tues & wed in Glenshee maybe with an overnighter in the YHA ?

If you fancy meeting up send me a pm and we can sort out moby numbers ? only been to glenshee once and Sunnyside was the only thing open - put off a bit by the you need snow chains to go past glenmore to get to the gorm Sad

Packed my shovel and probe already and hoping for some epicness Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen LS, That could be a possible. The gorm is looking a little difficult to get to at the moment, so it may be one that will have to be played by 'ear'. By reports gorm and lecht seem to have had most of the new snow, so the gorm could be awesome if accessible. Although the west wall poma isn't running at the mo (don't know if this is a avalanche risk issue or an operational problem?)

There is certainly a lot more open than sunnyside presently. Only stuff not running is the cairnwell chair (so I guess the 'tiger' is not open?) and Glas Maol. I'm hoping at least Glas will open up by next week. There were a lot of cars on the webcam pics at the shees car park today, so the road must be in reasonable nick.

For the YHA I guess you need to be a member to stay there? Where is the closest one to Glenshee?

I'm trying to persuade a friend at work to come up too, but I think he's going to pass on it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skir67, potentially interested, I live on Merseyside too. I'll see what I can do with work on Monday and I'll keep an eye on that forecast.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kristof, OK, I haven't organised anything with work yet, but normally they are no probs when requesting leave at short notice, but I guess we would need to make some kind of decision by Monday lunchtime. It will be weather forecast dependent I guess. With the amount of snow that has fallen and the fact that the weather at least for the next week looks set to stay cold then there is no real problem in a bit of a delay if the weather on tue/weds doesn't look like its going to be too good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think I may hang on a bit, this week looks like the weather could still be a bit off from time to time. Normally I'd just go, but as the weather is staying cold and there is some more snow in prospect it wont hurt me to hang on a bit for optimal conditions (a bit of a luxury with Scottish conditions I know). I'll post again when I've pinpointed a likely day/s.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I thought I had replied to this but obviously not - I am a technophobe ! Anyway I am deffo going up on tues am just cant decide where will overnight tues and ski wed. There is a yh just after glenshee further north never stayed there as I went over to aviemore via the lecht last time I road tripped it ...............

need to get some wax on my skis but no time Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
check this out

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58671&highlight=
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My parents tell me there's six inches of powder at the foot of the Pentlands. Possibly you should all be considering Hillend. Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, thats what my sister said !!!!!!!!! hmmm
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skir67, not a problem, thought as much with the forecast
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, Yes, I saw that thanks. Probably work for some, but I prefer the flexibility of driving and I'll be aiming for Glenshee or the gorm probably and that deal is for Glencoe.

Lizzard, Yep theres some pictures in the public reports section of winterhighland showing people skiing on snow at Hillend this weekend I think, but if I'm going to Edinburgh I might as well go to Glenshee from where I am it isn't much further to go relatively.

kristof, I'm just gonna keep an eye on the forecast and temps and then make a decision a day or two before going. It will be during the week though. I think I'm just going to do 1 day though now, so it will be a case of leaving home about 2am or so, arrive for 1st lift, ski, and then drive back. I've done it before on my own, certainly tiring but doable and the last day I had at Glenshee it was worth it with everything open, snow in good nick and NO lift queues! snowHead Is that something that might interest you?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skir67, short queues and everything open sounds great but I'd never want to do a there and back in a day. I've done it to Edinburgh before and that was just sat on my back bottom in meetings for a few hours, not skiing.

The forecast seems to be looking up for the weekend so I may think about going up on Thursday or Friday for a few days and Yad Moss is looking good for a there and back in a day.
ski holidays
Was at Glenshee today, roads were clear and the hill is in good condition Very Happy
snow report
kristof, fair enough, I'm still considering a second day, but I need to talk to someone at work who is interested in going to see what they think.

arv, good to hear, are all the runs in good condition? Any ice or bare patches at all?
ski holidays
skir67, I was teaching so didn't do a whole lot of skiing about, Claybokie has some icy patches developing then again they do make snow there occasionally.
latest report
arv, Fair enough, think things may be on hold as the north west of england has just ground to a halt due to the current snowfall, as the temps are due to stay low, I'm going to have to keep a close eye on if anything is possible this week. Out of interest is it just cairnwell mountain sports ski school operating out of Glenshee now or is there anyone else?
snow report
kristof, Think the guys at work are keen on a one day option so that is probably what we'll do. I also sometimes go to Yad Moss or Raise so maybe we can link up in the future for some northern english skiing.
latest report
skir67, I would go with Cairnwell Mountain Sports and request 'Ross' if you are looking for a private lesson Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skir67, sounds like a plan, think I'm going for Yad Moss this weekend and I'll save north of the border later
snow report
Well I went and had an excellent time Smile
snow report
kristof, Yad will be rammed!!! I plan to go some time to either Raise or Yad or possibly both. But Yad and Scotland I'm only going to do during the week as they are too busy otherwise (particularly if the weather is OK). Raise is OK at the weekend as the walk in puts most people off and that's part of the reason why I like the place so much! snowHead

Helen LS, Tell me more, how was it? Did you go to Glenshee after all? How is the snow, queues, roads etc?
ski holidays
arv, Was more wondering if it is just the one ski school there now or are there more, as there used to be? What are their pay rates like for teaching?
snow report
skir67, only one on site that I know of (and work for now and again). There is another (Cairdsports maybe?!) but they have to wear ridiculous coats.

Give me a PM if you are interested and I will give you details/put you in touch with the necessary person. Always looking for new instructors.
latest report
Ok went up to the borders last monday night which was fine the Biggar road was a bit narrow as the snow had been blowing onto it but I got there in an acceptable usual time, got up on tuesday am and left and I just crawled down the edinburgh city by-pass I think it took 2.5 hours to do the 40 miles to Kinross services, I was a bit despondent as to whether it was worth it at this point ! eventually got to Glenshee at 1200 so it had taken 4 hours to do 100 miles including the stop, I probably was stupid leaving at 0800 but hey .... I bought an afternoon ticket and got myself dressed !

So this being Scotland and me not having skied in Scotland for 2 years I had my icebreakers on then I put some polartec trousers, soft shell fleece extra merino t shirt, a buff and then my hard shell outer did 2 runs up sunnyside and then went back to car stripped off and removed the trousers and t shirt and buff.

There were people skiing but no queues just turn up to the lift and ride, made it over to Glas Maol and took the route straight down which was lovely bits of windblown and powder and just nice went up again and took the route others seemed to be taking which involved a horrible shuss into the wind and a blue groomer, I stayed about here for a while then decided to make it back over...............

Which brings me to the Coire Fionn Poma Skullie Skullie Skullie

Well it launched me into the air dragged me along the button bit hit me in the 2 front teeth which really hurt and I bit through my bottom lip, and was spitting blood, it took a further 2 attempts and then I decided I would never ride this lift ever again !
snow report
I then decided to just bimble about I went over to the other side to check it out and went up carn aosda, there was a queue for butcharts poma so I just took the t- bar which was a bit of a struggle to stay on by myself but it was lovely up the top, I also went and sampled the Cairnwell lift and took the red down but the coverage was quite thin and the weather was horrible.

I think I packed in at about 1600 and then drove to Braemar, I pulled over to let the 4 x 4 's overtake all the time thinking is this road actually open ! Went and bought some supplies and then checked into the YH, nice power shower and a ten hour sleep Very Happy Before waking up for Wednesday !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen LS, Strange with that poma, I don't remember it doing that kind of thing in the past, I wonder what's up with it? Did you ski on wednesday too or did you go home?
snow report
So Wednesday for some strange reason I am in no rush, sort all my stuff out and leave the YH ! dig my car out again and the road is now open but only as far as Glenshee, so off I set thinking again is this road really open especially when I pass a cutter - cutting the road out but on I trundle taking some magnificent photos, the road is completely white but the scenery is amazing, get to Glenshee and there are a max of 50 cars parked the road south is shut which causes me a little panic as I have to be in England for 1200 on thurs, but not being too worried I opt for the same layering as previous day and head out skied again pretty much everywhere all by myself because no one arrived from the south until 1400 ! the skiing was lovely bright sunshine views for miles and no wind, no one else just bliss.

I packed in around 1530 and drove back to the borders where they had loads of snow got there in an acceptable 2.5 hours and then had a panic cos every road south was shut - got up at 6am on thurs left by 6.20 and in my car was going to head up to edinburgh and then over the m8 but they had just opened the Biggar road and it was passable with care so I took that option and arrived home in 4.5 hours Smile

Then went to work and astounded my colleagues who couldnt believe what I had done, showed them the photos and they were like OMG that could be the alps !

Just my photos now, a load of dirt to wash off my car and a large bruise on the inside of my thigh and a swollen lip well worth it !
ski holidays
skir67, see above !
latest report
Oh and the Poma was chucking everyone off, the lifty was giving instructions and boarders were having to have both feet clipped in !
snow report
Helen LS, so most of one day with only probably 100 people max at Glenshee, Laughing That must have been fantastic! Kind of your own private ski resort (well nearly).

Still making plans to go up, just keeping an eye on the weather and picking a good day. At the mo I've got 2 guys from work that want to do it too, so that should keep the costs down a bit and mean I don't have to do the whole drive myself. Looks like more snow is forecast for next week! Got to be the seasons to end all seasons! snowHead
snow conditions
Yeah its not too expensive £45 lift passes I reckon I used £65 in diesel, £16 in a YH, and then just my food not bad really ! I probably wont get back up till maybe March now but enjoy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy