Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brecon Beacons Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Cheers all

matt_fitt@hotmail.com wrote:

Mike - Saw the same ponies (I think) when I was on my way back down on Sunday. Was wondering where they sleep and what they do for food when the snow is like it was earlier this year.

They're out in all weather. Use their hooves to dig down into the snow. Or roam to lower lying areas.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
WEDNESDAY 24 FEBRUARY 2010

Unable to make it over today, but if the weather and temps were anything like Aberdare then drizzle was the order of the day from noon onwards.

Hope someone got out early in the am.

THURSDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2010

Torrential rain overnight in Aberdare washed practically everything off the local hills.

Drove over to the Beacons this morning, and it wasn't a pretty sight.

There's a reason this glacial cirque is called Cwm Llwch - Powder Valley. Most of what is left in the Beacons is here. Pen-y-Fan to the left and Corn Du to the right

Looking up to the Cefn Crew ridge line above the Toilets car park. Was able to ski back to the bridge Monday afternoon.

I can't stand the fxxxxxg rain.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow, shame about the rain but they are amazing photos.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike Pow, Shame Sad

From the posts above, it sounds like the walk up is around an hour ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That's how long it takes me in ski boots david
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, you were right about the weather window Sad Still, makes days like Sunday that bit more unique Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely. Skiing in the Beacons is all about timing.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey Mike,

I met you up on the summit of Pen y Fan on Monday. My night spent in my tent on the summit was far from peaceful. I had the tent piched on the plateau just south of the summit cairn, in the lee of the wind, and thought I was in for a peaceful night. But overnight the wind direction changed from NE to SE, exposing my tent to savage prevailing winds in excess of 50mph. Despite being in a fully guyed out MH Trango 2 the deformation of the tent was severe, especially as I had it pitched side on to the winds. This continued into the morning and so I decided to make a hasty retreat off the mountain at about 8am in thick fog and gales that nearly blew me off my feet. That was only after I had 'dug out' my frozen boots from a covering of spindrift inside my vestibule. Glad I did leave at that time as on the drive back to Cardiff it was snowing quite heavilly, even in Cardiff! I'm guessing there were blizzards up on the peaks later that morning?

Earlier that night though, while it was still calm, I had a walk about the summit and enjoyed some marvellous views of the moon and stars, and a 360 view of twinkling orange lights of the villages down in the valleys below. It was an amazing sight.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=201318&id=510590995&l=568408a629

Judging by your recent photos it looks like the snow has been melting away since Monday. Such a shame, as the mountains looked a treat under that blanket of snow. Good thing I managed to get up there when I did as I can't see the snows returning again this season. But hopefully I will be proved wrong!

Scott
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Welcome aboard Scott and glad to read that everything went OK. Shock In the end.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Next week may surprise us and Derek's hinting at some Easter snow. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I haven't posted much, but I'm enjoying following this thread immensely. thank you for the pix and accounts. Hopefully you will have another day or two before spring arrives properly. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mike Pow wrote:
That's how long it takes me in ski boots david

It's a 2.5hr drive for me from Shropshire so I'm trying to get an idea of timings. Even if it takes me a tad longer on the walk, it sounds do-able if we get some more snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks easiski. I hope so too.

I'll keep you updated David snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow, Just checking the height of the car park on Google Maps - 450m or so. That's equal to the top of the pitch I was skiing in January Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FRIDAY 26 FEBRUARY THROUGH TO MONDAY 01 MARCH 2010

Happy St David's Day to one and all.

All the goodness has been washed / melted away. Again.

Glorious morning here in Aberdare. Light frost, sunshine and not a cloud in the sky.

Things look promising for the end of the week:

Met Office: Brecon Beacons
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/loutdoor/mountainsafety/brecon/brecon_latest_pressure.html

Quote:

Wednesday
Mostly cloudy. Outbreaks of rain, with snow at higher levels, is likely to spread from the west during the day, with patches of hill fog developing, and with moderate visibility beneath. Moderate to fresh winds from the southeast and freezing levels around the peaks.

Thursday
Remaining cloudy, with outbreaks of rain at times. This will again fall as sleet or snow over the higher levels. Visibility is likely to be moderate or poor with winds strengthening from the northeast. The freezing level is expected to lower to around 700 metres.

Friday
After some bright or sunny spells an area of rain, sleet and hill snow may spread from the north later, with some significant snow accumulations possible, particularly over the peaks and summits. Winds should strengthen from the northeast, bringing lower temperatures and a risk of severe wind chill. The freezing level is expected to be only around 500 - 600 metres.

Could be the 5th consecutive month of turns in the Beacons this winter Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scotthunter, Shocked Crazy man Laughing Nice photos though.
snow conditions
Some photos from yesterday of the Central Brecon Beacons. I did the 10-mile Neuadd Horseshoe walk. What's left of the snow is now thin, patchy and slushy. Perhaps unsurprisingly
the most snow is lying on the north face of Corn Du.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=203704&id=510590995&l=00542751d8

Scott
snow report
The reflection in the water on the last few is just amazing. What a great way to spend St Davids Day.
snow report
scotthunter wrote:
Some photos from yesterday of the Central Brecon Beacons. I did the 10-mile Neuadd Horseshoe walk. What's left of the snow is now thin, patchy and slushy. Perhaps unsurprisingly
the most snow is lying on the north face of Corn Du.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=203704&id=510590995&l=00542751d8

Scott

Well that answered my question on The Book, Scott.

Great pics.

Surprised there's still that much up there. One decent dump and it's back on Smile
latest report
10 day forecast looking a lot colder:

http://weather.unisys.com/gfsx/9panel/gfsx_1000_9panel_eur.html
latest report
What a difference a week makes!

The photos of the lakes were taken at Lower Neuadd and Pontsticill Reservoirs, the latter being a couple of miles down the road from the start of the walk. It is indeed a very photogenic spot on a cloudless day like yesterday.

I am really hoping that the forecast of another cold snap towards the weekend is accurate as I'm planning another camping trip up there for Sunday night. A good covering of snow really transforms this small range of mountains. The latest from the Met office is hinting towards a dumping on Friday, turning drier and brighter over the weekend. Very Happy Hopefully high pressure will be firmly in charge by Sunday. I could do without a repeat of my last camping trip which was plagued by persistent hill fog and gales. I don't think my tent can take any more savagery!

Fingers crossed.
snow conditions
Great stuff guys.

Planning to do the horseshoe walk on Saturday or Sunday - depending on weather. Hoping for some snow.
ski holidays
Tomorrow looks like being the clear day for some awesome views and pictures.

Here's hoping.

Looks like the snow is gone for another 9 months.
snow report
I'm off camping in the wilds of Mynydd Du tomorrow for a couple of nights. Weather looks promising with high pressure set to stay, but it's
going to be very cold up high with a bitter easterly wind.
ski holidays
nigelpm wrote:
Tomorrow looks like being the clear day for some awesome views and pictures.

Here's hoping.

Looks like the snow is gone for another 9 months.

Patience is a virtue
Acquire it if you can
It's seldom found in women
and never found in this man wink
snow conditions
he he. Well Couldn't quite believe how much snow was still up there today.

Back from walking the horseshoe - all 14 miles in total including some quite hairy moments trying to scramble up rock faces.

Stunning day but the longer distance views weren't quite as good as expected. Still wonderful though.
latest report
Enough to make turns?

Pics?
ski holidays
No, just very much dusting going on.

http://s749.photobucket.com/albums/xx139/nigelpm/Horseshoe%20Mar%202010/

might take a while to upload
snow report
just to be clear - having been up to Corn Ddu yesterday- there is no skiable snow on the Beacons any more - still a great place to be though.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks both.

It'll come Wink
latest report
TUESDAY 02 MARCH 2010 THROUGH TO WEDNESDAY 24 MARCH 2010

Cold and dry for the most part with a recent period of rain.

7 day window left to record 5 consecutive months of turns in The Beacons, and The Oracle has spoken Smile

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/walesnature/2010/03/spring_has_sprung_a_leak.html

Quote:
Well it's turned milder recently, the daffodils are blooming, but after a very dry start spring has sprung a leak!

The gardens and allotments have all had a good watering and there is more rain on the way this week but with winds blowing from the south, temperatures will be above average in most places, especially on the North Wales coast.

Mind you, something tells me we haven't seen the last of winter yet and there is a hint that it may turn colder next week.

Low pressure will be bringing rain and strong winds, and as temperatures drop I wouldn't rule out some sleet and snow!

Fingers, legs and eyes crossed Smile
snow report
THURSDAY 25 MARCH 2010 THROUGH TO THURSDAY 01 APRIL 2010

March came in like a lamb, but went out like a lion.

Cold, dry, sunny days made way for milder temperatures and torrential rain. The normal Welsh winter.

But late March / early April often offers up quick, dramatic winter storms and this year was no exception.

Derek had called it weeks ago and come the 29th colder temperatures returned and the rain slowly shifted to sleet and then snow on the higher ground.

The hope had been to let the snow accumulate on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday morning, and for me to get up there on Wednesday afternoon, the last day of March, to log 5 consecutive months of skiing in The Beacons.

Unfortunately commitments at home kept me from the mountains on Wednesday and Thursday and all I could do was sit and watch the storms roll in, changing from rain to sleet to snow and back again.

FRIDAY 02 APRIL 2010

After a tumultuous night, this morning broke calmer, grey and damp. There was still snow on the hills around my home, so after getting my Dad set up in front of the Super 14 rugby double header on Sky I set off into the gloom.

By the time I got to Penderyn the drizzle had become a drizzle sleet mix, and when I parked up in the Toilets car park the intensity had picked up coupled with a wind to rival Patagonia.

But the snowline was at the bridge and it looked like I could pick my way back later.

After a couple of days teaching in the rain in Niseko my first two winters there, when I went out on my own last winter I told my clients that if it was raining I wasn't teaching.

And yet here I was heading up in the freezing rain. Needs must.

A third of the way up I met Telegenic, and his dog Loki, from the dark snow forum heading down. He'd driven over from Bristol and was contemplating going back up with me but discretion was definitely the better part of valour this time.

Telegenic doing his best Strider / Vigo impression heading home to brews and a barbecue. Wise move

I passed his tracks heading up and at first I thought they were skin tracks. I later worked out that he'd pretty much straightlined it from Bwlch Duwynt!

After taking Telegenic's pic the camera stayed in the bag, which meant I got to the Bwlch Duwynt saddle in 30 mins. At this altitude it was more snow than rain, with around 50-60cm depth in places.

I'd anticipated heading over to Pen-y-Fan, but the wind howling over the saddle nearly knocked me on my back bottom. By far the windiest I've experienced up there.

Turned tail, and then clicked in ready for the descent. But not before chatting with a father and daughter from south of Sydney, Australia who were on a 4-week walking tour of Britain. They were dressed for the weather, but they certainly hadn't expected conditions like this during British Summer Time.

Passed a number of families and groups out walking on the way down. Despite the weather, the path was busy.

The snow was slow, but very skiable and I managed to pick my way back to the bridge. Didn't fancy walking out.

There's been as much rain as snow during this storm. If the temperatures were closer to those of January, there would be 1.5 to 2m up there. Bloody Gulf Stream.

As is the case, this afternoon has been sunny and clear and tomorrow morning promises to be the same.

Good Friday?

Even with the rain, the wind and being soaked through a Great Friday.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 3-04-10 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Mike Pow, what an inspiring report! True grit. That picture is a classic. All those names are very nostalgic for me. I grew up in Cardiff and used to go up the Beacons walking with my dad, brewing up on his primus stove, usually crouched behind a low stone wall, like a sheep, out of the wind in the hope of a cup of tea.
snow conditions
Mike Pow, Good work. I was hopeful for Wednesday when the BBC weather suggested the snow line would be about 250m. We had some snow on the ground in the morning, but it was gone by the afternoon.
latest report
Mike Pow, Fantastic photo.
ski holidays
Thanks all.

Pam w and Shimmy Alcott
Thanks for the props on the pic. New post-production technique in photoshop I've been working on Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 5-04-10 18:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
SATURDAY 03 APRIL 2010

Drove over early this morning to see how much damage the rain had done.

Lots.

There was no snow on the slopes below Cefn Crew - the home run - and the snowline had raced in 24 hrs into the clouds and mist. Who knows if there were turns to be had up high.

RAC corner on the road to Brecon.

The drizzle continued throughout the morning, but the sun came out in the late afternoon and I went to sleep under a cooler, starry sky.
latest report
Mike Pow, good work! snowHead
ski holidays
Cheers Mark.

SUNDAY 04 APRIL 2010

Easter Sunday.

Family lunch at home with my dad and aunt, an afternoon of rugby on the TV, and come tea time the clouds cleared to leave a dry, hazy sky.

On a drive in early March when the remnants of that storm were all but gone there was a sliver of goodness on the NW slopes of Fan Gyhirych (725m) above the A4067 Abercrave to Brecon road in the Black Mountain (Mynydd Du).

So I packed up the car and headed over to see if anything was left after the previous days' rain.

In fairness there was snow up high on Fan Fawr and Corn Du as I drove by, but both walk-ins were far longer than the roadside hit off Fan Gyhirych. Plus views of Fan Brycheiniog in the setting sun would make up for any lack of snow.

Parked the car in the layby below Fan Gyhirych and 30 mins of easy walking later I was taking the last steps up the snow filled gully to the left of my intended line.

If ever there was a day to have brought the tripod and my remote shutter this was it. No wind, dry, and could have set up the camera from this vantage point to get an action shot cutting back on this slope with Fan Brycheiniog as the backdrop. Next time!

Fan Brycheiniog from the slopes of Fan Gyhirych

The sun came out as I crested the slope onto the summit plateau.

Fan Brycheiniog from the summit plateau of Fan Gyhirych

Pen-y-Fan and Corn Du from the summit plateau of Fan Gyhirych

Looking down the line. Straight, jag right, then jag left 'til it runs out. Cray Reservoir in the background.

The long shot

Looking back up at possibly the last turns this season. Not a bad way to finish if it is.

latest report
I have loved this season long trip report - so well documented Blush
snow report
Mike Pow thanks for sharing all that; such a great complement to some of those gnarly glacier reports, wonderful as they are too. I haven't been to the Beacons for ages, as we have no family members left down there now; your reports have made me want to get up there again. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy