Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brecon Beacons Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Tuesday 02 February 2010

Fresh snow over the weekend, but not enough to play. Dry, light powder - 'The wrong kind of snow' (which will make sense to the Brits reading this).

Pissing down and warmer today , and washed it all away. Might be luckier next week.

In the meantime some ski & snowboard action from Snowdonia Very Happy

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/Feature.aspx?id=3475
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
absoloutely fantastic!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mike Pow, GFS is showing some serious cold and snow for later into feb.. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If any snowheads fancy recreating the Snowdon video I'm up for a hike if the weather gets cold again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wednesday 17 February 2010

Been snowing all morning in Aberdare. Wet, and heavy at times.

Sticking well in the Beacons

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/webcams/latest

Snow forecast off and on for the next 5 days.

Could be interesting this weekend into next week Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike Pow, Do you know of this site and how to see the web cam at Storey arms? Double click on the map and then hold your mouse over the camera icons (don't click just hover). There is a camera up at Storey Arms.

http://www.traffic-wales.com/traffic
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mike Pow, good luck, hope you get loads and get out in it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller wrote:
Mike Pow, Do you know of this site and how to see the web cam at Storey arms? Double click on the map and then hold your mouse over the camera icons (don't click just hover). There is a camera up at Storey Arms.

http://www.traffic-wales.com/traffic

It's the same camera, less faffing about Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Swirly wrote:
Mike Pow, good luck, hope you get loads and get out in it.

Thanks. Off to Munich this afternoon for three days skiing in Bavaria.

Starting here Very Happy

http://www.bergfex.com/wendelstein-bayrischzell/

Hoping the Beacons will be covered like it was a month ago on my return.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Covered nicely now even by the car park so must be reasonable at the top.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Game on... snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Heading over there tomorrow I think Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A mate of mine's just completed the 10 peaks and reports "snow consistently knee deep on some slopes of Pen-Y-Fan". That's all I need to know snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Brilliant. Anyone get up?

Sunday 21 February 2010

Got back from my Bavarian jaunt last night and woke to 5cm of wet snow at the back door in Aberdare.

Storey Arms web cam is looking very wintery.

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Penyfan/webcams/latest

Going to try to get up tomorrow.

Warmer temps and rain forecast from Tuesday afternoon.

Very small window this one.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just about to leave the house. Will attempt to post a live report if I can work out the text thingy snowHead
ski holidays
Watch out for the trees!
snow conditions
Look forward to the full sp later on.

Sun is out now. Should be a day for pics.
ski holidays
Having lunch now. Snow at the top is better than I could've hoped for: fresh heavy powder. First run coming up... (via SMS)
snow report
Booyah.

Let's see the pics asapp.

Better, same, worse than when we met up before?
latest report
....obviously doesn't like picture messages then Evil or Very Mad

Summary: Awesome.

Mike - snow not as deep (grass was anything from 3in to 18in down) but softer and less windblown. Probably the best overall condition I've skied it. You'll be like a pig in poo-poo tomorrow!
latest report
Sharkymark, got any pics. really tempted to head down tomorrow as forecast is for clearing tomorrow afternoon after a few more cms.
snow conditions
Coming up...
snow conditions
Here we go...

Once I'd made it up, this was the view looking north. The snow line was higher than last time but was far lower than I was expecting:

This was the view looking from the path below Corn Du to the saddle. About a foot of fresh but heavy powder:

The snow was fantastic and it was probably in the best condition I've seen it there. There was little wind so there was none of the usual windblown slab on the escarpment between Corn Du and Pen-Y-Fan. This shot is about 2/3 they way down my first run after dropping in from the Pen-Y-Fan summit plateau. The snow was only 6 - 10ins on most of the hill apart from the gully I skied down. 12 - 18ins deep in there snowHead :

A boarder saw me drop in and followed me down (hi Matt - he even admitted to being a sH lurker!). This one is the first bootpack back up.

We did another run down towards the lake and then I hiked back up to Corn Du to get some photos of the tracks before they got lost in the shadows:

The sun was setting so I hiked up to Cefn Crew and skied right back down to the car park. A bit patchier than last time but plenty enough. Awesome day snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 22-02-10 22:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
FFS...can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong please...? Sad
ski holidays
http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/skiing-in-walesfeb-2010/p19632-pen-y-fan.html
snow report
super pics!

Gutted I couldn't go today. Evil or Very Mad

Visibility and snow looked tremendous.
ski holidays
...to put them in the post al la Mike Pow?

Thanks nigelpm...was a bit different to the last time I went up!
latest report
great stuff. looks way better than i thought it might be Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Needs to be the jpg location inside the [img] tag not the html ->

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/919/medium/P2212292.JPG

snow report
Sharkymark, under the photo in Snowmediazone there's something that says linked thumbnail with a link. To the right of that is a little icon, click that and then copy and paste the medium image line into your post (the one with [img] tags)
snow report
Glad you had a good day, Sharkymark. I wasn't optimistic this morning; I'm at about 1000ft and what fell overnight and over the last couple of days wasn't too deep and was melting fast. Opted for the bike instead. However, I finally managed to get the board out at about 3pm and had a couple of runs down the North side of Mynydd Llangatwg. What was lacking in quantity was more than made up for in quality!
snow report
Ardderchog Sharkymark.

Will continue your good work tomorrow lunchtimeish Smile
ski holidays
At last I managed to get it to work. The post should make sense now.

Soooooo, Mike Pow, how was it...? Going green
snow conditions
Not as good as you had it by the looks of things. But still great turns. Will post tomorrow.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, looking forward to it. Perhaps I got the best day? I guess tomorrow's looking pretty good too - was snowing intermittently in Gloucester this afternoon.
latest report
MONDAY 22 FEBRUARY 2010

Set off from Aberdare at 3pm and was hiking up from the toilets car park at 3:30. Passed a couple and their dog early on and then saw no one until I reached the summit of Pen-y-Fan at 4:30.

Half-way up the wind started to howl and the cloud descended. The light, dry powder was being blown in all directions and I was grateful for goggles to combat the spindrift.

Corn Du from the saddle between Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan

Cwm Llwch from the saddle between Corn Du and Pen-y-Fan

The snowline didn't extend down to the town of Brecon as it had in mid-January, but the contrast between snow and green fields reminded me of the club fields above the Canterbury Plains in NZ.

Cribyn and Cwm Sere from the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan

I met Scott, a chef at the Millennium Centre in Cardiff, on the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan. He was spending the night up high under canvas.

Scott on the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan with Cribyn over his shoulder

Yours truly on the summit plateau of Pen-y-Fan with Cribyn over my shoulder

Set off from Pen-y-Fan and was able to ski all the way back to the toilets car park (with a bit of poling) without clicking out.

As I descended the wind dropped and the cloud cover lifted to reveal Cefn Crew and Fan Fawr

As I was getting close to the bridge I skied past a herd of wild mountain ponies grazing on the grasses poking through the snow cover.

They were spooked a little and then started chasing me down to the river. Very used to people and this one let me get pretty close.

Homeward bound

Great to be back in the Beacons.

TUESDAY 23 FEBRUARY 2010

Snowed most of today in Aberdare and at road level and above in the Beacons.

Started lashing it down with rain in Aberdare at 8ish, drizzling now at day's end.

Tomorrow's turns in the Beacons could be fantastic if the freezing level hasn't climbed above 300m.
ski holidays
Mike Pow, great pics once again. Looks like the wind took it's toll on the snow I had on Sunday. Looking forward to today's installment...
ski holidays
Hey Mark

Nice pics. I put the ones I took on Facebook (find me 'Matthew Fitt' - picture of fire spining). Will try and work out how to put them on here when I have time. Camera quality nowhere near as good as yours so don't expect too much!

Mike - Saw the same ponies (I think) when I was on my way back down on Sunday. Was wondering where they sleep and what they do for food when the snow is like it was earlier this year.

Was a really good day, best I ever had in the UK!

Can't wait to ride again...
snow report
Great stuff Mike.

That place is awesome!
ski holidays
Hi Matt, nice to meet you mate. Your lines are the smooth(er) ones in the pics wink

Oh and welcome to snowHead BTW
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy