Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the worst start of the season for years in the alps?

Poster: A snowHead
so how will the fact that we've had lots of rain on top of snow effect the snow pack once we get more snow? Does this heighten or lesson the risk of avalanches? Excuse me if its a bit of a dumb question, but I'd be quite ineterseted to here the expert answer.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can you all hush up - some of us havent been out on the snow yet unless you count piddling about in Berkshire on a sledge!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
davidof, I agree, but there's an air of doom and despondency in this thread that belies my experience.

Yes, if you are set on France for next week and haven't booked then you really need to think about the high Tarentaise resorts: Val d'Isere, les Arcs, la Plagne, Trois Vallees all have tree skiing if the weather closes in but have large high altitude domains (2000m+) where the snow levels are at least in line with long term averages or even above average at the moment. My preference would probably be for les Arcs / la Plagne or the Trois Vallees as they have more low level skiing than l'Espace Killy.

Avoriaz, Flaine, Serre Chevalier, Montgenvre and Isola (as mentioned above) would also be on my list for France. The last three have benefitted from some Italian weather fronts to get extra snow helpings.

I'm told the Compagnie des Alpes is hoping for a bumper season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davejsy wrote:
so how will the fact that we've had lots of rain on top of snow effect the snow pack once we get more snow? Does this heighten or lesson the risk of avalanches? Excuse me if its a bit of a dumb question, but I'd be quite ineterseted to here the expert answer.

I'm no expert, but in Les Arcs where I've been for the last couple of weeks there seems to be a layer of buried surface hoare that is unlikely to be affected by this rain. Shady, ie north facing slopes, are likely to have this unstable layer for a few weeks more; sunnier slopes for less time I'd guess. In the few days before Christmas it felt very precarious, even when at Level 3 on the avalanche scale, so I avoided slopes that I would otherwise ski. The risk level seemed to subside a little over the weekend, although it still remained at 3.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i think it has been quite variable this season so far - snow then warm November, then cold, then rain etc, which means it has been a bit hit and miss for those with just their 'one week' of skiing, but those who are based at or with longer access to a resort, it does not seem to have had a bad time so far
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Overall, this weather is pretty bad for avalanches. The rain-affected snow will freeze hard to form a rain crust. This will remain in the snow pack as a strong layer in itself, but one to which subsequent layers of snow will not adher well. When the rain crust melts at the end of the season, this could also be a problem.

For us at least, the rain has turned to snow without a big freeze in between, so that does help a bit. The moist new snow will stick to the moist rain-affected snow a bit better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
if there is enough rain to break down the depth hoar layers, it could be a good thing in the long run

difficult to generalise though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I can't comment on off-piste stability (though I'm very interested to read the comments above, as I'm trying to learn) but I can tell you that we've been well and truly snowed upon this morning. Over a foot of new snow since the rain turned to snow yesterday. Absolute chaos on the roads - I met two snowploughs almost abreast, coming straight at me, and had to head further off the plouged track than I'd have liked. My new snowtyres got me into the village but once there I decided to get the chains on, as the street was just full of vehicles sliding around - one local Land Rover in chains decided me that discretion was the better part of valour. Very heavy claggy stuff - real good snowman snow, but I can just imagine the pistes, full of real "leg breaker" crud as at least 8 inches of snow fell after the slopes were pisted and they NEVER piste during the day here. The shops had big queues - don't know about the lifts; I'll not be out before Saturday when this lot depart for what promises to be a chaotic transfer day. Local forecast is snow as far as the eye can see, with some much colder and windier (winds turning North) weather to come.

Sounds great. snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've no idea if it's the worst start but like others had some great fun skiing over Xmas - and in St Gervais/megeve too! (which no one could call high!)
Al in all it was miles better than I expected it to be- a bit (OK quite a lot)patchy, a bit artificial in places and towards the end of the week genuinely icy (the shiny blue stuff not the it's just a bit hard stuff) Cote 2000 was fab as was les Contamines. Al in all a great week.

Still, hope it gets a bit better before the next trip on 18th Jan!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno wrote:
if there is enough rain to break down the depth hoar layers, it could be a good thing in the long run

At altitude I don't think there will be. Not much of the precipitation seems o have fallen as rain below 2,500m so I doubt that even the wet snow that did fall will have any effect on the unstable layer that's perhaps half a metre deep?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
solden sucked in December, terrible start to the season Toofy Grin

snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, I think we have made our point now Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not sure across the Alps as a whole, but conditions in a lot of the French resorts look good. Regardless of this, it looks as though much colder weather which is now setting in will last for at least the next week, and probably longer. Forecasting snow is tricky, but the general theme suggests there could be quite a lot of it about. Temperatures possibly going down to -30C at times.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
worst start to a season for a long time?????
I keep on hearing people saying these types of words, and can certainly see that some parts of the alps have not got lots of snow, but it is only the 1st of January....
Despite this, I would like to offer the following images that I've put together for your reference -

11th November 2007 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234066423/
11th November 2008 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234840982/
11th November 2009 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234066311/

2nd December 2007 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234065825/
2nd December 2009 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234840178/

25th December 2006 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234840622/
25th December 2007 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234840390/
25th December 2009 - http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/4234840504/

Granted, we are talking high up here. But, we are talking about December after all!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh, and some more random webcam shots from this ski season so far in the 3 valleys -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46097124@N07/sets/72157623115542084/
snow report
Quote:

we are talking high up here.

that's the point. In a lot of resorts there has been a great deal of rain at lower levels - including big names like Les Deux Alpes and Verbier, not just the smaller places. Combined with the big crowds, and the major travel difficulties some people experienced with the weather complications in the UK and northern France, many people have had a pretty miserable holiday at one of the busiest times of the year. And will probably have a difficult journey back, ironically because of widespread snow down to lower altitudes tonight. So for people who have had a miserable and expensive week, standing in long queues and getting soaked, yes it probably has been a rubbish start to the season. And as lots of people will only have one week's holiday, 2009/10 might be an unhappy memory. But really, of course, the ski season proper is only just beginning......

I do think a couple of unusually good starts to the season have made many people forget that this is really too early to go skiing and expect good conditions. If you get super weather at Christmas/New Year you're lucky.
latest report
pam w wrote:
So for people who have had a miserable and expensive week, standing in long queues and getting soaked, yes it probably has been a rubbish start to the season.

Unfortunately mountain weather can suddenly take a turn for the worse, and those people have my sympathy. But the bigger picture of conditions since the end of November through until now doesn't seem to me to be as bad as is being painted.
ski holidays
davidof, last year it snowed more in November and early December than I've experienced here before. This year the amount of snowfall seemed about normal until a couple of weeks ago. Now, lots of snow high up, lots of rain low down! Still the OP is totally wrong!
snow report
We've always had our best holidays in the week before Christmas. We leave until the last minute to book.
This year Selva, 2008 Avoriaz, 2007 Lech, 2006 Megeve (lift passes 1 & 2) - I think it was 2006 anyway. Great snow, no nutters. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Anyone who goes at xmas/New Year needs their head examined - well anyone who goes twice anyway.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy