Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going longer - things I noticed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There are a number of us on here that started to ski around the same time and I know some of us have wondered at what point our skiing would improve sufficiently for us to begin to notice subtle differences when we got hold of different skis. I have never been that worried about being able to flex a respectably stiff ski (mainly due to me not being an insubstantial person Embarassed ), but I have been concerned about the differences that might be evident once I got on longer skis.

Having got longer skis for Christmas (168, my current ones are 160cm) I have been keen to get aboard something a bit longer to see what sort of difference the extra length might make. I got the chance yesterday with my first visit to Manchester Chill Factore (which I was quite impressed with - we had the first morning session and the slope was in excellent order). As I had the opportunity I had a set of 170's (the hire skis were an orange coloured Head set - their standard colour scheme on the top coat - may have been 'Shape' skis?).

I've tried the odd set of 170's in ski tests with mixed results, but this was the first time I'd skied a set on a slope with plenty of space (few skiers) for a prolonged period. The results were very much as had I had begun to notice with the various test skis. I found that the longer ski 'forced' me to pay more notice to my technique. I became conscious of those drills I'd been doing at HH at the SH lessons. In particular keeping centred over the skis, and getting them both onto their edges simultaneously. I found that they wanted to draw a bigger arc in the snow (they will have had a larger turn radius than my 160's I'm sure), and that it was more effort to get them describe a tighter 'get you out of trouble' turn. However, although were more effort on tighter turns when I had them on edge following a lovely wide 'S' turn, they felt great I could even get them to rock over from edge to edge and felt them doing so as I turned in the opposite direction - I could imagine skiing them on a wide open motorway style piste and just settling into the feel of them. I could also feel 'stability' in the extra length and they had less whip about them. Although it's going to sound daft, they felt more 'grown-up'.

All in all I think was a useful exercise to try longer skis. Undoubtedly my new ones will respond even more differently as I am sure that they will be even stiffer than the hire skis, but at least I now know that the length won't stop me from sking them, I think this years holiday could be an interesting development time for my skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 30-12-09 19:40; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
I have been keen to get aboard something a bit longer to see what sort of difference the extra length might make.
I suspect a few others may say the same thing... personally I think as you improve, longer is probably better. My current skis are 176's which are much longer (10CM) than recommended for 'me'.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm in the same boat, I've been skiing 165's , but my new skis are 176's. It will be interesting to note the difference when I go in a couple of weeks.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy