Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone got a Spyder ski jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
If so, is it worth the money? Any views gratefully received. Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FireballXL5, I think the web is the best place to buy them. Toofy Grin NehNeh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Love mine and all the bells and whistles, goggle pocket, goggle wipe with cord attached to pocket, pit zips, key clip sewn into pocket saved my keys a few times when the pocket wasn't zipped, warm band at face. It's 8 years later and I'm still using it and haven't found anything I like better though it is a tad worn after all the use. Bought mine in Feb at half off sale.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looked at some in the Derby TK Maxx a few weeks ago reduced from silly money to £150. It seemed a very nice jacket and at a price I'd happily pay for a decent bit of kit but didn't seem worth 3 and a bit times more than than the £40ish Rossingol Tribe with similar bells and whistles to pinhead lists I eventually settled on.
If you can get a good price on one you like I'd say you'll get a good jacket that will will serve you well but if it isn't just the brand you are after there will be other equally good options probably costing less.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
technically = apparently yes

aesthetically ............................................... Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have got them for my children in the past and I personally think that they are well over priced and the boys ones are bland style wise. I have always got them from the US where they are a lot cheaper. For the children I personally prefer poivre blanc, far more stylish and seems to serve them just as well as the spyder jackets have, mind you, my daughter still uses her white spyder jacket now and again if wearing her white trousers, but that's more of a fashion thing I thinks wink

My OH has had a spyder jacket some years ago but personally prefers burton, not only due to the styles but he finds them better to board in than spyder, he has now has his burton gear for some time now and would keep with burton even though I think they are thin in comparison to the burton stuff
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am resisting the temptation!!!!!

OK I give in....Spyder....puke
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
FireballXL5,Yes Embarassed Bit it is plain black with no easily identifiable spyder logos Very Happy

Bought it for $150 in the US a few years back and it has never let me down great jacket with plenty of tech and stood me well in very wet snow in Austria one year.

If you can get one cheap go nuts but everyone will think you are a Ruskie wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got a plain black Spyder soft shell without too many logos (one metal badge on the chest pocket) and I like it. I bought it because it fitted and looked better than similar products from other manufacturers. I'm not a big fan of the more garish Spyder designs though.

Careful about cheap ones though: Ebay is flooded with fakes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have seen a couple of friends in Fakes, bought in china (where the real ones are made I'm sure). They looked authentic, but then after a hard hours skiing in warm weather we stopped for a drink, and it was like the unsaddling enclosure at Aintree after the grand national, - sweat and steam you would not believe as the jackets came off. Goretex they were not!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have a Killy jacket -pretty expensive, used for 5 years and fantastic. Just bought Spyder trousers, hope they are as good. Suspect both to be technically excellent, then its down to what you want in style and colour. Flourescent and Kahki are both not for me, but then I've been skiing since before even flourescent was popular in the 80's! - aghhh must be getting old
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
twoodwar, Laughing Laughing (by the way that was to the Aintree comment) Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FireballXL5, I've got quite a few. A couple of older 'Legend Series', a Big Mountain Series' Shell, a 'Venom Series' Shell, a Down Jacket, a Soft Shell, couple of Fleeces.

Only the older 'Legend' Series is obviously recognisable as Spyder, the other gear is very plain, lots of technical features, superbly made and very easy to wear.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FireballXL5, have a look at the people who wear spyder gear, then decide if you want to be associated with them....get arc'teryx, norrona, haglofs, mammut, mountain hardwear, TNF to look like a real skier and not a tw@t.....

okbye
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hadn't occurred to me to look at the people wearing them! Is it am "image" thing or something?? I just want a good quality, warm jacket and thought Spyder might fit the bill, I'm not interested in being seen wearing a "label". It seems I am a bit naive then. Met a boarder last year with a plain black one and he didn't need to wear layers and layers to keep warm.
snow conditions
FireballXL5, its quite simple...spyder wearers are generally @r$eholes...on both sides of the atlantic...you know the ra ra ra type bull$hitters you hear talking cr@p in the lift queues but really know nothing...that aside, the list i gave you above is far better quality than spyder and are multi functional and will fetch a better resale price than spyder on ebay, especially arc'teryx, norrona and haglofs....

okbye

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-12-09 14:43; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I have to agree with snowpatrol. Spyder is a gaper brand.
Another vote for Arc'teryx, especially the Stinger/Stingray.

ps: layers is a good thing.
latest report
FireballXL5, Go for the Spyder Big Mountain series. It's harder to track down unfortunately, but really good stuff. I've no idea why S&R insist on flogging the Legend series exclusively, when they make such great products elsewhere in their range.
snow conditions
Maybe the Buyer at S+R is Russian, which might also explain the horrid Kjus stuff they got aswell
ski holidays
papasmurf, I think they think that if a person has a few quid to spend on a jacket they also have zero taste. rolling eyes

I'm using it as an example, but what is seem in the shops as far as Spyder is concerned is only a fraction of the range that they offer. The good stuff isn't noticed on the slopes, because it is so subtle, only the tacky Legend series stands out as obviously Spyder. That has been toned down in recent years from it's original 80's styles, thankfully.
ski holidays
unfortunately some of their jackets are a bit LOUD and one gets the impression (them and us attitude)
this is how i see otherwise i am sure they are good quality
snow report
Quote:

arc'teryx, norrona, haglofs, mammut, mountain hardwear, TNF

Most great but odd to see TNF in there - they seem to have gone a bit urban/BMW X5 in the last few years bar a few exceptions (Freethinker/summit series)
snow report
I'm glad to see a mention for Poivre Blanc. I had one of their jackets from TXMaxx for my kids about 3 years ago and still using it (was a tad on the large size when purchased) I was really impressed with the build quality and styling. I would certainly consider another from the same stable.
snow report
And good to see another TKMaxx fan! I do admit to owning one bit of Spyder kit, a pair of gloves that cost me all of £7.51 on ebay and are the only ones I've found that don't overheat my hands at the Snowdome so don't think they'd be warm enough out on the slopes for real!
ski holidays
snowpatrol, - you are spot on - I have never seen real ski dudes wearing naff Spyder outfits - You would be laughed out of town in places like Andermatt and Engelberg. Just like to add Mountain Equipment and Mamuut to your list. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="snowbandit"][b]snowpatrol[/b], - you are spot on - I have never seen real ski dudes wearing naff Spyder outfits - You would be laughed out of town in places like Andermatt and Engelberg. Just like to add Mountain Equipment and Mamuut to your list. Toofy Grin[/quote]

Pah, not if you get sponsered by them...

/looks smug
ski holidays
Spyder stuff is expensive for all the right reasons: it's well made, warm, and full of technical features you actually use.

I've had Spyder gear in the past and it's been very good: but its popularity has made it too expensive for general use (and other brands give me better discounts Madeye-Smiley ). #1son skis in Spyder quite a lot: kids Spyder gear on ebay is reasonably priced (kids grow out of clothes) and we've not come across anything which is obviously a fake.

snowbandit, Dunno what you means by never seen real ski dudes wearing naff Syder outfits, but I judge a skier by what they are doing, not what they are wearing.
snow report
The guides in the Pyrenees where I skied several years ago all had them... they looked fine to me. My 10 year-old boy is on his second, the first lasted him from the age of 4 due to the adjustable arm length which no other make had (you get to release several stitches in the arm and they lengthen by an inch or so). Good jackets for that age group. Daughtr had Poivre Blanc, also good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ho Ho Ho to snowbandit and snow patrol!! To judge anybody by what brand of clothing they where is a bit revealing character wise. Unless they do something specifically, that annoys you , and you are quite certain no one has done anything to annoy you who was not wearing Spyder, then its a bit dubious to link the two things .

My spyder pants are plain black, with yes the obligatory spyder logo, but for £120, (not list £220- buy at the right time in the right place), they are fantastic.

My jacket is not spyder, but is also top quality - Killy. Again I do hope this is a brand that seems to annoy a few people, - have to have a laugh!
snow report
Sharkymark wrote:
Quote:

arc'teryx, norrona, haglofs, mammut, mountain hardwear, TNF

Most great but odd to see TNF in there - they seem to have gone a bit urban/BMW X5 in the last few years bar a few exceptions (Freethinker/summit series)

TNF is the new chav wear along with surf brands. Ironically, Nike ACG stuff is not. wink

Since when hasn't the skiwear brand worn not spoken volumes of the wearer? rolling eyes
ski holidays
hors piste, -in what respect? Love of colour? liking good equipment? having money? being worried what other people think, who think it is important?

Not sure what you mean about speaking volumes.

Do you like the colour?
Can you afford it?
Does it keep you warm, safe, allow ipod use or whatever you require.
Does your wife and family like it? (this is me on top of the above)
Do people you dont know like it? (couldn't care less - in my opinion)

If you buy something that does all this (with the exception of the last point,you are making a rationale decision.

People will be arguing over what music is good next or some other childish fad ( the answer by the way is whatever you like!)
snow report
Quote:

TNF is the new chav wear along with surf brands. Ironically, Nike ACG stuff is not. wink

I thought the same - ACG stuff is superbly designed and built, the fit is excellent and it's not £££££££s.

Quote:

People will be arguing over what music is good next

Drum 'n bass or go home wink
ski holidays
twoodwar, so in that case you have no opinions on anyone or anything...that to me reveals a lot character wise...you are zzzzzzzzzzzzz.....i'll tell you a few other things that annoy me....goths (w@nkers)...boys or men who dye their hair (f@ggots)...gays (they're gay)...amateur footballers and male hockey players (p00fs...play a mans game i.e. rugby)...men who go to the gym and use machines (lift ****ing freeweights you nancy)...fussy eaters...people who save...non drinkers...frigid females...people with small dogs...cat owners (get a big dog)...people in school who said they didn't revise but got straight a's...cops...eastenders...the birmingham accent...easyjet employees... i could go on and on but i wont...oh i nearly forgot...people who dont have opinions...........

okbye
ski holidays
Quote:

.i'll tell you a few other things that annoy me....goths (w@nkers)...boys or men who dye their hair (f@ggots)...gays (they're gay)

snowpatrol, are you trying to audition for "Life on Mars" or something. Your opinions appear to be stuck in the 70s, last time I looked it was 2010.
ski holidays
I saw someone wearing a Spyder jacket and Dare 2 Be trousers today and thought of snowHeads Laughing
latest report
arv, Sure It wasn't a Spider jacket Laughing
ski holidays
arv, quality!

(and/or a fine sense of pop brand culture humour...)
snow conditions
Bought mine in TK Maxx about 3 monts ago for £130, suggested RRP on ticket was £499. Didn't particularly need a new jacket, but the quality of it and materials used are excellent, it fit's perfectly and matches all my other stuff. Did the fact that it was a Spyder jacket influence my purchase, most definitely YES.

Does this mean the likes of snowpatrol, will not associate with me when I am wearing it. Thank F*** For That
snow report
johnnyh, i am not alone....Kel, correct....

okbye
ski holidays
My jacket's made by Tsunami, I'd never heard of the make before but it's well made, breathable and keeps me warm. I've also just bought some Nike ACG trousers and they're excellent!

One of the guys I go skiing with has just bought brand new Dare 2 Be trousers and jacket. I thought of Snowheads when I first saw them! Is D2B really that bad?

I must say last week I saw some right posing so-and-so's kitted out head to toe in Spyder gear. It just looks a bit too flash for my liking and I don't like the big logo.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy