Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

help needed with some skis bought on ebay

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
Bought some secondhand skis for husband on ebay, and they arrived today however his boot is too big for the bindings, is there anything I can do to sort it out or should I just pop them back onto ebay?

Can you re drill holes into skis or does this damage them?
Also the holes seems to be threaded do you need some special equipment in order to do this?

Thanks
Fizz
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fizz, bottom line is that if you don't know the answer to the question - you probably should be taking them to a shop to do it. Skis can be redrilled once or twice. Special drills and jigs. Some rail system bindings may have some adjustment too.

Can I suggest that you give us a link to the purchased item so we can see what you are talking about. First or second question though buying second hand skis is what length sole are they drilled for?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fizz, They can be re-drilled as long as there is sufficient distance between the holes and the old holes need to be re-plugged. I seem to remember that 10mm is the minimum recommended distance between the old and new holes. I had this done with my son's skis a couple of years by Spyderjon and to keep to the 10mm rule only one binding was moved, the rear one IIRC, meaning that the boots were mounted behind the centre point, as a compromise.

The holes are drilled using the correct size drill and the fixing screws are self tapping, but I would suggest you get a qualified ski tech to do them for you. It shouldn't cost much and if you can get across to Nottingham, I'm sure Spyderjon could sort you out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was planning to take them to a shop, rather than getting tools out which I know nothing about but I didn't want to look too much of a muppet if it wasn't possible to do this.

The skis bought are:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=330383619430&view=all&tid=395112425014

any further advice would be very helpful
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fizz, that link isn't displaying. Perhaps you can tell us skis and binding models, then someone like spyderjon can advise you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stoatsbrother, Ebay item 330383619430
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330383619430&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fi.html%3F_nkw%3D330383619430%26_sacat%3D0%26_trksid%3Dp3286.m270.l1313%26_odkw%3D395112425014%26_osacat%3D0%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fizz, depends were you are in Suffolk but you could give www.alpineroom.co.uk a try they have a service shop, might be worth a call if you can't get to Nottinghamshire Smile

Alpine room are in Danbury near Chelmsford
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fizz, I cannot see the photo clearly enough to see if those are rental bindings - as you would have suspected from the listing. Silly question - but have you got the Heel piece as far back in any track as it will go?

I think those bindings are similar to the sally ones and even the non-demo bindings have a fair amount of adjustment on the track.

165cm sounds a bit short to me for a bloke unless he is short and light - but I am no expert.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the bindings in the picture are almost certainly salomon but the listing says look nx Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I get the kids ski boots from Alpine Room, but I've never been to them for ski related stuff. However, I have had skis serviced at Skee Tex in Battlesbridge, not much further on from Alpine room www.skee-tex.co.uk who have a Wintersteiger linked service dept. and they seemed to do a decent job and be nicely busy which I think engenders confidence. I have read that bindings can be re-drilled up to three times haven't I? (where are our experts when you need them), however what I guess you might not know until you can remove them is how many times they may have been drilled already.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
we are the other end of suffolk closer to Cambridge, so I have taken them to Ski exchange and from what he said it looks like it will be no problem to have them re drilled which is good.
Thanks for all the help and next time I bid on skis on ebay I will know to ask about such things!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy