Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andermatt versus Engelberg for off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this kind of post, I thought this was just for trip reports but it looks like it is also for resort related questions? Hope I am right, please tell me if not!

Anyway, I am pondering a trip somewhere new, and I have narrowed down my options to about 50 places I'd like to go... out of those I thought I'd look at Engelberg and Andermatt first because they seem to have a reputation for good but uncrowded off piste. Can anyone vouch for this reputation, and if so does anyone have any preferences between the 2? I am tending towards Engelberg because it looks like there might be a bit more going on in the evenings - I am not a party animal but I do appreciate a decent pub or 2 and Andermatt looks like it might be a bit quiet.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hard to go wrong with either. the off-piste at Engelberg is generally a bit more obvious so that might be a better choice if you aren't going to hire a guide. i wouldn't describe Engelberg as uncrowded though. the secret is out in Scandinavia so you will be sharing the easy to access runs with fat ski toting Swedes.

as a general rule, at Andermatt the runs off the back of the Gemstock all take you back to town (may involve a bus in some cases) but they are more remote so probably not the choice if you haven't got a guide and aren't experienced at fining your way in the backcountry. the frontside of the Gemstock has lots of off piste but does get skied out - it has also been discovered by the Scandies but not to the same extent as Engelberg. if you are happy to do a bit of touring, Andermatt offers more possibilities

in terms of nightlife, neither are exactly kicking but Engelberg does have a couple of decent (if you like that sort of thing) late night bars; Andermatt is certainly quieter but not completely dead by any means
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sah, Why not do both? I did them both as part of a road trip and they are so easy to get to, as Arno, says the off piste in Engelberg is a little more obvious but I would hire a guide in both to get the most out of them. Andermatt is definetly quieter in the evening. If if it is down to picking one I would go with Engelberg for what you are looking for.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Why not do both?

Now there's an idea... dunno why I didn't think of that before:) Actually, I'll probably be on my own and and so I'd probably join a guided group (e.g. Mountain Tracks), so that limits me to one or the other for a full week, but if I don't go with the organised thing I might just do a few days in each.

Thanks for the info folks!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do both if you can. 1hr drive between them. I preferred Engelberg for the variety and long descents.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy