Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

train virgin looking for advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
9 of us are planning on using train travel for a trip to the 3V in April.

I've not done this before, so, can anyone help with some general advice?

What is the best website that I should be booking the train tickets on?
How good are the busses from Moutiers to Val Thorens?
Is there anywhere to leave baggage in Val T on arrival day?

Many thanks!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, I've fixed up to travel to Grenoble by train in March. I booked each individual leg as tickets gradually became available, first the iTDGV which launched some 19Eu Paris-Grn seats in Nov, then the E* bit (£35 and £40), and finally the return Grn-Par just a couple of days ago (22Eu). I think you should find it easier as you're doing the route that is sold specifically for skiing. If you're getting a straight through from London then it probably doesn't matter where you book, so going with E* themselves is likely easiest. Something to note is that through them you print your tickets at home, but through RailEurope you have to go to a ticket machine in London to collect them when travelling.

For specifics for the Moutiers route, have a look at the Eos_B threads as they organised train travel last year (think either Talltone or Admin did the arrangements) and I think Flowa was trying to do so for this year.

A website with a ton of info on train travel is the man in seat 61.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, Check out the eurostar & SNCF website for the best price - usually much the same, but sometimes SNCF is a bit cheaper (on the other hand, its not as straightforward to get a refund when the train is cancelled, IME Evil or Very Mad ) If possible, with 9 of you, try & get a direct train, although changing in Paris isnt the end of the world.

Cant help with buses to VT, or luggage, but I dare say someone will know wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, have a look at the man in seat 61 www.seat61.com, all the infomation on the various rail companies and how best to book, have used it to plan a number of rail journeys. Embarassed just noticed that Butterfly, has recomended it as well. Eurostar run direct servcies at weekends from London to Moutiers.

Check out the tourist office www.valthorens.com/winter-en/home-page.1.html details on transfers from Moutiers.

Dumping your gear, have been luck in that if its a hotel or a catered chalet they let you leave your gear, in the strore room or similar, the tourist office will be able to give you more info.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For bus transfers Altibus is the local operator you can book in advance on

http://www.altibus.com/index.aspx

The bus station is right next to Moutiers train station. Rail can be booked on Rail Europe up to three months in advance, the site is in english, book early for busy periods.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Was a long time ago I did it down to 3 Val on the snow train, but what I recall was there was a fair bit of hanging around with luggage. I was in a self catering chalet at the time and booked it via a local rental estate agent. Problem is the overnight train dumped me there very early and the chalet was not available until after lunch. So that meant either hanging around Moutiers or hanging around the resort with luggage (this was Meribel). Took the latter option, but the estate agent was reluctant to store luggage for incoming because they're already storing luggage for the outgoing lot.

Going back the night train is very late from Moutiers, and that means hanging around again. The bus went in the middle of the day, so I was carrying luggage around Moutier from mid afternoon to something like 10pm! Couldn't find luggage storage, though this was back in 2000.

P.S. You probably are aware, but just note that the night Eurostar ski train is a party train. Don't expect to sleep Very Happy. Going out that is. Going back it was quiet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy