Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do we turn?

Poster: A snowHead
For a little discussion, why do we turn?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can think of a few reasons

1.) So that percentage wise I spend more time going down the run than I do in the lift queue waiting to go back up

2.) To avoid hitting cliff faces or going over cliffs when the piste turns a corner

3.) To get the best views of the surrounding scenery

4.) To avoid hitting any skiers or boarders having a picnic inthe middle of the piste

I'm sure there must be more than that though rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
5.) To avoid hurtling down the mountain at a dangerous speed...

6.) To demonstrate the mastery of our technique Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
7.) because turning can be fun

8.) to change VELOCITY (direction related speed)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought of another Razz

9.) Because it usuall for lift queues to be at right angles to the piste and I'd like more than one ski run per day Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agree with Wear The Fox Hat, turning (carving) is a great feeling. Sometime putting in a series of nice big, fast GS turns is as exhilerating as schussing straight down.

Perhaps the question should be rephrased into two parts-

A) Why do we do carve turns; and
B) Why do we do non-carve (skid etc.) turns

Then the answers can be classified:

A) 1, 2, 4, 6, 7
B) All of them (who says jump turns aren't fun?)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a skier of a certain vintage, although I haven't been skiing as long as David Goldsmith, it took me years to master carving. A clue to my age, the first skis I used were wooden and 217cms long. I now ski on anything from 155 cms up to about 180 cms and modern skis which allow you to carve just by rolling your knees are fantastic, to ski absolutely flat out down a red, using all the psite and not checking your speed is an amzing feeling. However, its all about adapting to the terrain and you use whatever turn is best suited to the piste you're on.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good thoughts. Two considerations for additional answers:

1) What's the simplest expression of an answer to the question?
2) Answer independent of the type of turn.

We'll get to a profound answer, I promise! Wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Because the ski bends Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Because we can?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Speak for yourself, Ian Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As usual Bob Barnes has the words :- "We turn because we want to go THERE, not HERE" rolling eyes
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surely the only reason we turn is to maintain the fall line?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have to make a turn to fall into the Mooserewirt?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masopa, The only reason I turn is to stop being in the fall line Skullie
snow report
Alan Craggs wrote:
As usual Bob Barnes has the words :- "We turn because we want to go THERE, not HERE" rolling eyes

So, Alan, why the rolling eyes?
snow conditions
Is that "rotary" of the eyeballs Steve? Cool
ski holidays
No need to turn to get to the Moserwirt, the trick is to make sure you've got the right skis when you leave.
snow report
David@traxvax wrote:
No need to turn to get to the Moserwirt, the trick is to make sure you've got the right skis when you leave.

Yes that's right, even if it does mean trying on 362 pairs of skis before finding a matching pair that fits and you can call your own.
latest report
Just to widen it a bit.Why is it I can straight line it down a long blue,or carve,as the feeling takes me.But on a red I dont seem to be able to approach the fall line as close as I know I can.Dont think its a speed issue?as I can gun it pretty quick.For some reason I seem to have adopted the habit of tight turns across piste.Thoughts anyone snowHead snowHead
On the original-I turn because it feels great and it generally sends me roughly in the direction I told my wife I was going;though not always Wink
latest report
Sounds like a confidence issue, possibly a subconsious confidence issue, a good one to sort that out is a private lesson with an instructor, usually once you've done it once the problem goes away, like so many thinks in life Razz
snow report
So, the fundamental answer to the question "Why do we turn" is:

"To go there."

This is important from the perspective of how we think about turning and the resulting characteristics of the turn. See my new thread on Line that I'll create in a moment.
snow conditions
I'm liking all this advice - wish I hadn't already been on my holiday so I could print this out and pore over all the info in this section in the evenings in the chalet...
Anyway back to the point... I turn because I can!
On steep slopes it is because I have to to maintain control and sometimes speed. On shallower slopes I do so I can practice the right way to turn so that when I am somewhere steep and narrow the turns are better - feel in control and can pick the best line through any bumps.
Had some lessons this year to help me on steep slopes - I learnt to do quick, small and positive turns to maintain control - great feeling when I achieved it!
ski holidays
David@traxvax wrote:
I now ski on anything from 155 cms up to about 180 cms and modern skis which allow you to carve just by rolling your knees are fantastic, to ski absolutely flat out down a red, using all the psite and not checking your speed is an amzing feeling.

Now just let me hold that picture..........mmmmmmmmmm................fantastic. That's a good enough reason for me Very Happy snowHead
snow report
Hi Mountain, the answer is neither Razz The radius of a carved turn is determined by the radius of the sidecut of the carving ski, which in turn can be determined by the width of the ski at its tip, middle and tail, A ski with a large radius like my old Head Cyber 28X's will give a turn of 28M radius but will be more stable in straight line speed, a ski like the salomon 1080 will give a much tighter 11M radius turn.

Therfore there are 3 possible solutions to your turning on steeper pistes:

i.) Only put in slight turns and go more down the fall line

ii.) Change to a pair of skis with a tighter turn radius to be able to carve from one side of a narrow steep piste to the other.

iii.) On steep pistes give up the idea of carved turns and use swing or jump turns instead

With my racecarve skis I tend to carve turns on gentle runs, slide on steeper runs and jumpturn on the really steep icy runs snowHead
ski holidays
Damm it Mountain, why did you post the same question in two threads ? I thought I'd forgoten to press the submit button so I basically re wrote my answer here not realising that I hadn't forgotten, it was just in the other thread Mad
ski holidays
I say DG, calm down Smile
snow report
I am calm Ian, I just thought I was going mad before, instead I was replying to a Mad poster Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi DG - and I've replied on the other thread!
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
The radius of a carved turn is determined by the radius of the sidecut of the carving ski, which in turn can be determined by the width of the ski at its tip, middle and tail

Mind if I add a bit more to this... it also has to do with the edge angle, and amount of pressure being applied to the ski.
snow conditions
well yes and no, I've made more coments on the other thread, possibly what I should have said is that the minimum radius of a carved turn is determined by the radius of the sidecut on the ski
snow conditions
Because after the night before, or lunch, I am not not only falling down a big hill, but over sideways, too.
snow conditions
D G Orf wrote:
well yes and no, I've made more coments on the other thread, possibly what I should have said is that the minimum radius of a carved turn is determined by the radius of the sidecut on the ski

Well...the radius given by the sidecut on the ski is the maximum radius of a (perfectly) carved turn. As soon as you tip it, the turn radius goes down. (If snow was perfectly flat like glass and the ski was hugely bendable, the minimum carved turn radius, at tip angles close to 90 degrees, could tend towards ski length divided by pi, so about 50-60 cm! yeah, I know this doesn't apply in real life).
latest report
Cedric, it does if you have pocket rockets. snowHead

(Sorry all, running joke on epic)
latest report
So, here's the thing: If you turn for a reason other than "going there," you're effectively mixing motivation. This can turn into the typical and ultimate intermediate ride: skiing the fast line slow.

What do I mean by that? Only that many intermediates tend to slide virtually straight down the hill with their skis at a 90 degree angle to their actual vector of movement. As a result, they think they are turning because their skis are pointing first one way, then the other. But, in actuality, they are simply sliding straight down the hill and pivoting the skis around. It's a ton of work, and isn't really doing what we want to do.

Instead, let's think about turning as moving to a particular location. See that place over by the tree? To go there, I need to turn! For many people, they will find that they don't actually go to that place, but continue to slide down the hill, or slide past it and have to climb back up. Think about "going there." What's it take to "go there" on a ski slope?
snow report
ssh wrote:
For a little discussion, why do we turn?

Local Authority planning permission - they won't allow restauranteurs to build in the middle of the piste.
ski holidays
Quote:

" What's it take to "go there" on a ski slope?

I usually find that some handy trees by the side of the slope are enough Wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 24-02-04 19:31; edited 2 times in total
latest report
How about trees in the slope? Laughing
ski holidays
Can't say I've seen too many trees on the slope - would be a lawsuit waiting to happen!

Another reason we turn though is to get off the piste and into the fluffy stuff on the side... then once you're there you have to turn because it looks so much better to have lots of short turns in the virgin powder than a straight line!!
latest report
That'll be powder eights then!! Cool. NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy