Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Sultan 80 vs K2 Apache Recon?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Firstly, apologies for another in a series of threads about my quest for new skis but...

I'd pretty much decided on Recons (tried both Crossfires & Xplorers, liked them both so settled for something inbetweeny). Couldn't get a pair delivered before we left. Have done two days in very mixed conditions on hired Sultan 80s and really like them. But I can get the Recons significantly cheaper than the Sultans.

Just wondering if anyone's tried both and what you think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Higs, I think Mrs. Higs should hit you (hard!) for thinking about buying skis you haven't tried. wink

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a more constructive opinion.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You still wavering Higs? Is there nowhere out there (where are you?) you can try the Recons?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're in Le Grand Bornand. I've not seen anywhere that rents K2 skis here - mostly Dynastar, Rossignol and Salomon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have the xplorers - and would highly rate them - the recons are nearly as good ( subjective)
I thought that dynastar were a bit more hireshop than k2's ( expects to be shot down here)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gazza2 wrote:
I have the xplorers - and would highly rate them - the recons are nearly as good ( subjective)
I thought that dynastar were a bit more hireshop than k2's ( expects to be shot down here)

Out of interest, what do you mean by 'a bit more hireshop? At a very simplistic level I'd agree - I managed to hire a set of Dynastar but not K2, but then I was in a small village not too far from Chamonix. Is there a serious prestige/brand thing with skis? I wasn't aware of it but in my own world (mountain bikes) I know that Ventana, for example, carries more prestige as a brand that e.g. Marin.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Higs, Ha, ha.............sorry, can of worms methinks!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
if you're thinking about getting the recon... don't. get the xplorer. If it's a one ski quiver you're after, then this is it. It's fast, powerful and smooth if you can link your turns it'll pile through anything. It's as good as the recon on piste, just as quick edge to edge and a fair bit more versatile off piste. Just a great fun all round ski. It's never going to be as fast as a proper piste/race ski, but it's very very good. I've now used mine in all sorts of conditions and haven't once thought of having to replace them.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you want a ski made by Americans, or one made for Mont Blanc? Go dynastar. Lol at whoever made the hireshop comment, do some research.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What shoogly says about the xplorer I could say about the recon. I chose the recon after testing these against both the xwing and crossfire. The recon was best on test for me and after a week in Courchevel I can safely say it met all expectations. New Gen's chief instructor rather too frequently said that if it wasn't for these skis, my lack of technique on parallel turns would have caused big problems! On soft powder they were an absolute dream.

It's hard to judge relative merit without an extended test but my brother in law was hiring the xplorer. We started skiing the same time and despite him being generally fitter and not at all lacking derring do, I definitely pulled ahead on skills and achievement over the week. I put this down to the stability and hence confidence these skis give.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy