Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting demo skis tomorrow-what to try?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm an confident intermediate female skiier, looking to move up. I mostly ski blue runs in North America (mostly East Coast crud, but sometime good Colorado snow) and am very confident on the blues. I'm continuing to take lessons to improve technique when I can so I can be confident on black runs...about 5'6" and 148 lbs. Any suggestions? I have great boots but need to buy new skis. At the ski shop, they recommend I buy Volkl Gamma 320s. According to the Volkl website, these are for intermediate/advanced looking to move up, but from other forums and what I'm reading, they're more a beginner/intermediate ski. I definitely don't want a beginner ski.

I probably will never be an aggressive mogul skiier (bad knees) but want a ski that I can use for several years and 'grow' into, but still be comfortable with now.

I'll be at Mt. Stratton, NH, tomorrow, and am hoping to demo whatever they've got that might fit. I'd love to hear suggestions!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowHeads nicburnham, snowHead
I'm sure there'll be someone along to help soon!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 One Luv or True Luv

Oh, and Welcome!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome nicburnham,

Not that I have tried them but I have reviews of these skis which I will pass on

K2 Omni 3.5 and 4.5 the latter a quick turning improver and the 3.5 a lazier ski version of its big sister..!!
K2 One luv, good all-rounder for intermediate and up

Rossi Open 500, top Rossi recreational ski for perfecting technique
Rossi Zenith Z1, a Blue and Red blaster

Volkl 420 All-rounder with good edge grip for upper intermediates and above

Atomic SX10 good stabilty and grip and well suited to lighter skiers

Head IC Lightning - Ladies type ski from last year
Head IC160 good edge hold and stabilty
Head C140 Great sweet spot cruiser
Head XRC 500 An all day carver, fast and forgiving

All these skis are rated between 3 and 5 on a scale of 1-6, so should suit intermediates upto advanced.

I think all these skis should be within your scope and a good start for a piste cruiser but you may want to cross reference these with the ski shop. And you can always change them if they don't work, surely

And some friends of mine attended a ski test week and reckoned that collectively K2 were making the best batch of skis this year.
But then I don't think there are many bad skis out there.
I have been impressed with Head.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks--this gives me a TERRIFIC start on what to try! I'll be sure to report back what I find/learn.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rossi B2w
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nicburnham,
If after ladeez model, my wife has Volkl Supersport Gamma (ladies Supersport 4Star). She tested both and they're stiffer than K2 T-Nine True Luv so should take her further, but still very easy to ski. One Luv also supposed to be good.

Lots of good men's skis will suit you, but ask them before you borrow them wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi nicburnham, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

The Volkl 320 is more of a beginner/intermediate ski. If you're looking for an on-piste ski I'd try the Volkl Supersport Gamme or one of the K2 Luv series.

slikedges, is it only good men that have good skis? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cathy Coins, well, I have GREAT skis. What does that say about me? Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ah and I have even better skis than Wear The Fox Hat, Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, not better for me!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cathy Coins,
With all this clamouring for your attentions going on, I feel I would be doing you an injustice not to let you know that actually it is my skis that are the longest, stiffest, not too narrow though, and forgiving in all the right places.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, well, your skis certainly sound ideal for you and I'm sure perform well. No wonder the ladies have to ask first before you give it to them.

As for DG and Foxy, do you have great skis in your opinion or do we have corroborating evidence to back up your claims? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ah, you can have the best equipment in the world, but if you don't have the technique......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi,
If you look at the "Skiing on piste is too dangerous!" thread you'll find I am very thoughtful about my technique and pride myself in knowing when to go fast and when to go slow.
latest report
Cathy Coins, I'm using Head GS skis, very very good but heavy and very stiff, they need a pretty good skier to get the best out of them with very strong legs, not a good ski for an intermediate. For me they're ideal but for most people (at least 95%) they would be too stiff and heavy to use properly
snow conditions
D G Orf,

Now that's just bragging wink
ski holidays
slikedges, no that's just cos I'm so heavy Shocked plus they suit my old style skiing technique wink
snow report
Cathy Coins, I'm sure that ssh can comment on the suitability of my current skis. As for public opinion on their greatness...
http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/68/30
http://www.altrec.com/shop/detail/18331/4/write/

http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/130/30/
snow report
Well, I cannot personally vouch for Fox's equipment, but I did do my demo'ing yesterday (that's a verb, right?) at Mt. Sunapee, and thought I'd pop back in to report. (Yes, I said Stratton before...I knew what I meant!)

Because it was school vacation week here in Massachusetts (and for at least a portion of NH schools, where Mt. Sunapee is located), and I hear it was vacation week for Connecticut as well, the demo center was pretty low on skis. However, I managed to try out four different pairs.

Note: the slope was windy (wind blowing uphill at about 20 mph, depending on where you were and what reports you believe.) Surface was hard packed powder--even at the trail edges, I found very, very little of the soft stuff. It was like skiing on cordouroy that had been spilled on, then dried out. Some people are great on that stuff, but it took me a while to get my legs under me, so my first few runs were rather conservative.

First--I took out Volkl Gamma Supersports in 161 cm. I don't know if it was me getting used to the conditions, or if it was the skis, but I kept catching the inside back edge on my right ski--and at unexpected times. Because of this, I kept slowing down and skiing more conservatively--which I think made me catch that edge even more, but I was too afraid of going fast and catching it and having a real wipeout. I did about 7 runs on them because I couldn't figure out the edge issue. The skis definitely perform better at higher speeds, but that edge really threw me off, so I'm not sure of my opinion on the Volkl Supersports. I'd have to try another pair on different conditions, I think.

Second, I picked up a pair of Atomic B7 Balanze in 148 cm. Too short for me, I think, but that's what was available. These were very easy to control and I could carve fairly well on them (esp. after I'd been so hesitant on the Volkls with that edge issue), but overall, I found them a bit of a boring ski.

Third were my fave pair of the day, Elan Fusion S8's in 160 cm. These just sang. Lots of control, not too stiff (but not too sproingy, either) and I was able to get good speed and really cruise along if I wanted, or take a nice, lazy run without feeling like they wanted to run away with me. I liked the length, the control, the entire feel of these. Had some fantastic runs on these where I just flew.

Finally, I was tempted to try out the Volkls again to see if the edge issue was just a morning confidence thing, but the demo guy had just gotten in a pair of Fischer Vi30s in 155cm, and talked me into trying those. I'd rate these just below the Elans. They were fun and easy to control, but not as exciting as the Elans. Can't explain why--but then again, I was getting tired, as I used these for the last two hours of the day.

I'm going to try to demo one more time before I buy--maybe re-try the Volkls or get another pair of Volkls, maybe the 420s or the 724 just to check them out. But I really liked those Elans...

And again, I simply can't speak to Fox's equipment Little Angel
ski holidays
Also--forgot to add--I really want to try out the K2 Luv series. I hear such good things about them. Weren't any at the demo shop, though, or those would have been near the top of my 'want to try' list. Hopefully next time!
snow conditions
Sounded like your demo went well nicburnham, and you found a pair of skis that suited you.

Think it's best to leave the guys' equipment out of it wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy