Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

High Ski Resort in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to get away for a week in March next year. Can someone reccommend a good resort in Austria. I am looking for a high town centre with higher skiing area.

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl, or maybe Solden (which is not so high at village level, but plenty of high altitude skiing on two glaciers).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rob, I should have mentioned that I have been to Obergurgl & Ischgl in recent years so am looking for somewhere different.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try Serfaus - Fiss - Ladis, three resorts in one, only an hour from Innsbruck with plenty of skiing over a big area. Not on the radar as much as Ischgl or St Anton but much better for it! No tour operators go there as far as I know so it's a DIY job via the website. We've been there twice, really enjoyed the area and hardly any Brits... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As Austria is further east and less under the influence of the maritime weather systems, you do not need to go as high in March as you do in France. Any of the interesting resorts should have more than enough snow to entertain even the most demanding of UK tourists.

As Rob@bar has said Sölden and Obergurgl come to mind, but they are not so cheap. Ischgl, Galtur and the whole Montafon/Samnauen area (50/50 Austria & Switzerland) also have good snow records. I was skiing in the SkiWelt (Ellmau, Söll, Scheffau, etc) area in the middle of March last year and we had more than enough snow and empty pistes. I also ski in St Anton regularly and have had no problems in March. I have also skied the Sportwelt Amadé region practically every Easter since the late 80s - only had to look for snow once and that was when Easter was near the tail end of April.

The last few seasons have seen the biggest dumps arriving later in the season, so March and April offer excellent skiing conditions without the really cold temperatures of the early season.

One resort that comes to mind that answers both your criteria is Obertauern - ski in and ski out.

Rob@bar - don't forget that the town of Sölden is at 1382m - which using the old rule of thumb +300m for the more easterly movement puts it on a par with Les Arc 1600!!!! Laughing

Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My original thinking was to go high because of the time of year. So basically any area will be fine mid march? How about Kaprun/Zell am See?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Battlezone, Should be OK and you have the Kitzsteinhorn glacier as a fall back.

As for any area being fine at any particular time - no guarantees in this life other than death and taxes! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

I'm planning on being in either St Anton or St Johann in Pongau (Skiwelt Amadé) both of which have kept me more than happy at Easter for years! But as I can do both these resorts with day trips, I can be very flexible in my planning!

I'm deffo back in Sölden having had a fantastic week there from 4th to 12th December (this month)

Sue rolling eyes

[edited for spelling]

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 27-12-09 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All, thanks for the tips. I think I'll plump for Kaprun area. It seems to be one of the cheaper options. wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Battlezone, Wagrain, Schladming, Zauchensee and many places in the Ski Amade knock spots off Zell/Kaprun for skiing and value.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Battlezone, wait for the MSB!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maggi, the thought of dragging all that luggage between various modes of transport is putting me off Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, which operator serves those areas mentioned? I'm after a package for this one.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
maggi, not exactly cheap though is it - Wengen! rolling eyes wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Battlezone, it is the easiest place to diy. A few TOs do Schladders.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Although fairly low, Kitzbuhel last year still had pretty decent snow in March. I was there last week of the season and we had a couple of dumps whilst there. Only place where the snow wasn't great was at the bottom of the Hahnenkamm going back into town.
ski holidays
oldsnowy, I once went to Serfaus - Fiss - Ladis about 14 years ago on a school trip and I've been trying to remember the name for ages as I'd forgotten it. You've just jogged my memory, thanks!
latest report
Battlezone, it's getting off a train and getting on another at the same station! You don't have to cross Paris or anything Laughing . And you are a great big man with muscles and I am a little old lady with none. And I can manage it. Do you think my OH carries my stuff? Oh, I wish! rolling eyes
latest report
Thanks Guys...I plumped for Schladming in the end. The Thomson Group do packages there wink
snow conditions
Battlezone, some great terrain for you and some cheap beeya Smile
ski holidays
I can offer some silly deals for March...
Had a great snow record for the last coupl eof years with silly dumps and awesome powder!
PM me if you are interested or have a browse on my link below.

I should have a bar in the house by then (sorry FTSM you have missed out this season!)
latest report
Battlezone wrote:
Thanks Guys...I plumped for Schladming in the end. The Thomson Group do packages there wink

You missed out the words "even though" in the middle there
snow report
flangesax, thanks, but I have already booked and paid. Another time...

Frosty, Woo! Hoo!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, had a fantastic time in Schladming!! For the first three days it snowed but surprisingly the visibility was still good. Skiing through 12-18inches of fresh soft powder on top of the piste underneath was unbelievable! Three days later the snowing stopped and the sun came out. Even better!! Thanks for the heads up!

We were in a Gast Haus about 200 yards from the new gondola. Couldn't ski in/out but the next best thing! Found some really nice drinkeries in the town. People very freindly.

It is definitely a place we will consider going back to again.
latest report
Good stuff.. another convert... OP searching for altitude in March... ended up staying in a Hotel at about 800m!
had a pow day 2 days ago... and hopefully some more at the back end of this weekend!
ski holidays
flangesax wrote:
Good stuff.. another convert... OP searching for altitude in March... ended up staying in a Hotel at about 800m!

I know...I was a bit apprehensive when booking it, but it worked out well in the end. We were meant to be going the following week (20 Mar) which would have been a disaster. The temperatures were hitting 20C on Friday 19th. The bottom half was becoming very slushy. Up top was still fine though.

Just looking forward to the EoSB now!! Bring it on!!
latest report
Battlezone, it would have been far from a disaster!
Mid station up was in good shape along with Haus and Hochwurzen and reiteralm... bit heavy on your legs by the afternoon... then you would have had a mini-powder day on Friday as there was snow Thursday night...

I had some first-timers out here last week who had a great time all over the area... 3 days in ski-school and then out and about accross Amadé with a mate.
They loved it - all went home looking like racoons!
snow report
flangesax, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Just curious that Hintertux isn't mentioned. It is a glacier at the end of Zillertal Valley.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
saikee, I stil lhaven't managed to get up there yet... I think it is on my Salzburger Super pass... if so i am going to try and get there before May 2nd!
snow report
I'm going to Austria again next March. Kitzbuhel again so very low and last time I went there was no snow at resort level but loads further up. Would be nice to have snow at the bottom too, but you never know with these things.

The upside is a bit of Austrian atmosphere, although I do wish they would stop smoking in bars.
snow report
queen bodecia, we went to Kitzbuhel in Jan 2007. Again, like you, there was no snow in the resort but high up was OK. Still a bit slushy though. However earler this season it looked OK on the webcams and weather reports.

I think its down to luck when going to lower resorts to get good snow.

We much prefer Austria to France. Apart from the people being friendlier the prices in the bars and restaurants are much better on the pocket.
snow conditions
Lack of snow on the lower slopes of the Kitzbüheler Alps is, in my experience, rather the exception than the rule. Even in this not particularly snowy winter it is still possible to ski down to the valleys (though the snow is disappearing fast now).

I skied in the Kitzbühel area last Friday and had a great day. After a little new snow overnight conditions were great higher up. It was possible to ski right down, though with spring snow, soft and heavy on the lower slopes, e.g. on the Ganslernhang coming off the Hahnenkamm. Here's a photo taken from the Hahnankamm gondola, showing what the cover was like (the Streif race course was broken by a grassy strip at the Hausbergkante but was skiable further up).

Plenty of folk skiing down there and it was also possible to ski down to the Pengelstein I and Fleckalm gondolas (and on those runs the snow wasn't even that soft).

Further up conditions were great - here's a view looking up to the Steinbergkogel ...

... and another one looking over to the Ehrenbachhöhe from the ski route which comes down off the Steinbergkogel (and that was very enjoyable with the fresh snow).

P.S. And by next year the smoking regulations will be stricter, though I think smoking will still be possible in smaller bars.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy