Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are skiing holidays becoming less sociable?

Poster: A snowHead
Is it just me getting old and a grumpy old fart, or perhaps I smell Puzzled

I first started skiing about 14 yrs ago and one of the great aspects of it was always the meeting of like minded folks who loved the mountains, liked a beer, and we often skiied with people who were previously strangers but were happy to team up and ski a few days or the week together. You knew more folks on the journey home on the plane than when you went out.

But, on my last couple of trips, the former to a large pension in the dolomites, and last week to a hotel in France it just seemed to be harder work to have a laugh and a joke - and teaming up with others to ski just wasn't going to happen. Former trip was with skiing buddies, last week with the family. Our young kids mixed it up no problem and they had a ball.

I am not losing sleep over it but my missus noticed it as well and she is one of the most sociable people I know. Things like place names for the individual parties at the dinner tables didn't help to mix it up...

Could it be a function of staying in the larger pension/ club hotels rather than chalets when are by design cosier.

On the big plus side, my kids are now strong enough to ski with Dad, and my young lad especially (9yrs) is particulary loopy, and was happy to ski down the edges of the piste and follow the ski lifts down off piste (nothing that posed any safety threat I hasten to add). The wee git will be out skiing me on the next outing I am sure Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scotabroad, Not listening to the laughter around our table at present, and the lot are all going out to eat together tonight. Think you have been unlucky with acomodation choices.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scotabroad,

I usually go on holidays on my own and I've stayed in chalets, chalet hotels, and hotels. I've found chalets and chalet hotels to be very sociable (this includes last winter) and usually I find people to ski with in them. However I find hotels far less sociable and don't find it easy to find ski buddies in them.
I can't think chalets and chalet hotels are becoming less sociable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
scotabroad, can't say I've found this problem. In the last decade I have been on four ski trips by myself and definitely not found it difficult to chat to people and ski with them. Both staying in hotels and in chalets. On each occasion I have joined the ski guiding days organised by the TO which is always a great opportunity to find other people to ski with. Hotel bars are usually friendly places to chat to like-minded people too, as is the dining room.

However, you will probably always find that like mixes with like, so as a family group you are more likely to 'bond' with other groups similar to yourselves. People with children might seem off-putting to people without children and vice versa.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
don't know - prefer skiing on my own Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
yes ski holidays are becomong less sociable......this does not surprise me......and i am most gratefull... you have to take into consideration the fact that 95% of people are morons................i hate people.....

okbye
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

95% of people are morons
but at least most of 'em can spell becoming and grateful

scotabroad, 14 years ago there were more people going with tour operators and finding themselves in same hotels etc with other Brits. Now it's more hit 'n' miss.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote]="Bode Swiller"]
Quote:

but at least most of 'em can spell becoming and grateful

I wouldn't put money on it
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowpatrol wrote:
yes ski holidays are becomong less sociable......this does not surprise me......and i am most gratefull... you have to take into consideration the fact that 95% of people are morons................i hate people.....

You don't read the Daily Mail do you? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scotabroad wrote:
Is it just me getting old and a grumpy old fart,

nail .... head .... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, what do you know about being sociable ? wink wink I suppose you think dancing on tables and surfin' on chairs in bars is sociable Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Timberwolf, quite Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf, rayscoops, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The "skiing holidays are becoming less sociable" and "95% of people are morons"............. Not only at the ski places, acctualy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find the social aspect of staying in a chalet pretty exhausting. After a long days skiing i'd rather have a bath and vegetate in front of the TV tbh!

I'm not really used to it though because we always used to hire a self catered apartment as a family and fall asleep in the evenings Laughing
latest report
I sort of agree. I don't think it's a reflection of people themselves though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy