Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scandinavian Resorts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for suggestions of scandinavian resorts for a week of skiing/boarding for good intermediates at end of March. Went to Are last year.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Hemsedal the week before Christmas and had a blast. The Scandis I spoke to said it was the best resort in the region.

The good bits
- lots of snow this year - they are currently reporting 135 cm which is plenty
- popular terrain parks - they have a new park just off the express lift with a few jumps to warm up to before going to the bigger parks further down
- relatively empty black/reds - most people seem to be carving up the blues rather than the reds and blacks
- not too expensive - if you book in advance! I think we paid 160 for an 8 day pass per adult.
- quiet during the week - mind you we were there just before Christmas but it felt like we were alone on the slopes - and indeed at some points we actually were! We have been Thurs/Fri in March & April and it wasn't much busier. Saturday is always busy with Scandis.
- the ski school do some great activities for kids including a jumping 'competition'

The 'hmm' not sure whether bad or good bits
- accommodation - self-catering seems to pre-dominate which isn't surprising given the cost of eating out! We like the flexibility that this brings and there is a shop in the ski centre itself.
- the one way down - all runs end at the main lift which means you can't really get lost or stuck away from your accommodation when the day ends but it does lead to a sense of deja vue!
- almost everyone wears a helmet - At one point I have seen 90% of those in a lift queue wearing.
- alcohol prices - We buy on the way in which is usually enough but hard partying might dent the wallet. It is possible to get beer for £3-4 a pint though which doesn't seem that bad really if you live in London.

The bad bits
- getting there (and back)- takes 3-5 hours each way from Sandefjord Torp airport (or Oslo as Ryanair prefer it). 3 hours is our best, 5 the worst in a snow storm. Car rental is the killer as the best price we have achieved is 45 per day which bites into the budget if you are not driving the car most days.
- the cleaning, bed-linen, electricity charges - a lot of the accommodation has a compulsory cleaning charge added which puts the price up somewhat. £85 per stay for some places. Can't they just quote an all inclusive price!

Check it out on http://www.hemsedal.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
what about levi in finland, not massive peaks but still lots of runs, great snow and no queues, you will also be able to get some great deals for about £200 each for flight and cabin, the lift pass is something like £120 for the week

there are lots of other resorts to go to but levi has the most runs, yllas isn't bad either and it has the highest peak but that's only 718 so no mountains and mile long runs, it's a very different experience and the snow is amazing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mrs. RH would second AndrewBailey, suggestion for Hemsedal or Trysil!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hemsedal is awesome, the skiing is limited if you're intermed or above but this is a small and charming resort with great apres ski! Rent a cabin if you can - most norwegians have one and many rent them out when they're not there (which is mainly easter time). A beautiful country with fantastic people and a great adventure. Boarders will enjoy Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've been to Geilo, about 5 years ago. Nice resort but limited number of runs and none are particularly steep. Ideal for me at that time but a keen intermediate would soon exhaust the possibilities.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd also suggest Åre.

It shares most of the positives you mention about Hemsedal. I also believe it's a little cheaper, being in Sweden, particularly the cost of accomodation. Last year 5 friends and I rented a great ski-in/ski-out cabin for a week for the equivalent of 520 pounds.

It will still give you a bit of hassle to get there, but you won't need a rental car when you're there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love Hemsedal but I do get there for free. Happy

I mucked up my flights (didn't chack if the booking was successful so now not going until the 15th. Hand luggage £24 for 2 with ryanair. Happy
I'm going to try Kongsberg as well this time.

Cheers
bob
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy