Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borovets Snow Conditions - Updated 22nd January

Poster: A snowHead
Hope the snow is still falling for you guys. A colleague from work is there at the moment. I know she has saved all year and was really excited about her trip and after looking at web reports was expecting lots of snow. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Updated: 6th January

No new snow overnight but they kept the snow cannons running, however since it has rained heavily this morning the lower slopes are looking patchy again. All 4 drag lifts in front of the Rila are open as are both chairlifts (Sitnyakovo Express & Martinovi Baraki).
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Updated: 7th January

MyBorovets have been told that the Gondola is only open for walkers. Yastrebetz chairlift is on & there's the free shuttle from the Gondola.

Two drag lifts in front of the Rila with long queues (we estimated about 60 people in each queue).

The Sitnyakovo Express (chairlift on the black on the left of the Rila Hotel) is open only for walkers.

It's 15 degrees at the Rila at the moment.

Here are a couple of photo's taken a few minutes ago.

Borovets Bad Snow Photo - 07/01/10

Long Lift Queues Photo
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MyBorovets, it's still looking grim - sorry you're having such a cack start to the season. I remember a few years back Andorra suffered terribly with temps up towards 20 degrees! They then had a bumper end to season, but it was probably too late. Gotta feel for the poor bggers there at the moment though! Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Updated: 9th January

Not much more to add to previous reports - warm temperatures & a complete lack of snow means conditions are continuing to deteriorate.

The Yastrebetz chairlift was open this morning but has now shut. The two drag lifts on the nursery slopes are open with OK conditions for beginners.

The Gondola is open and accepting skiiers but we could only recommend it for the advanced / crazy skiiers (most instructors are refusing to ski down it).

Resort wide the conditions are very icy & patchy in places.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
lets hope it gets better soon !
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MyBorovets, after the unwelcoming start on snowHead I must say your honest and in depth reports have been fantastic, shame the snow hasn't matched them Sad let's hope the snow and conditions improves sharpish!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MyBorovets,

What would the conditions usually be like at this time ... ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MyBorovets,

What are the tour ops doing with their clients? Looks like our blocking high pressure is forcing all the warm air towards you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Phyllis Stein, This was taken in Borovets in mid jan about five years ago, We had knee deep powder for several days... Christmas and New Year can be a bit hit and miss, but there's usually enough to ski on at the top.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Updated: 11th January

A drop in temperatures last night led to a small amount of snow (2-3cm). We didn't think it worthy of the snow alarm simply because it won't make any difference in real terms.

However the low temperatures overnight meant the snow cannons could operate so Yastrebetz is open, as is the gondola (only to ski down to Yastrebetz 2 & 3 and Popangelov.

Two drag lifts on the nursery slope in front of the Rila Hotel are open.

It's sunny but staying cold so there is certainly hope for more snow!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Better news! I'll see yas there on sunday.. gulp!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rounddodger, hope you have a good trip and make the most of whatever you find when you get there!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Updated: 12th January

With temperatures remaining cold for the last few days it's no surprise (and a big relief) that the snow has started falling. It's been snowing lightly in the resort since about 9am this morning. With temperatures forecast to stay cold it looks like there'll be more snow coming & winter is finally with us!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
... finally ..... Very Happy
ski holidays
Updated: 13th January

It has been snowing constantly since yesterday. There's 1-2 inches of fresh snow at the bottom & about 5cm at the top providing a solid base on which to build. The snow cannons were on yesterday but are not operating on the slopes in front of the Rila. They are still operating on Yastrebetz.

The gondola is open again for skiiers down to the Yastrebetz chairlift but it is still pretty difficult!

Shuttle bus from gondola to Yastrebetz is still operating as it is not recommended to ski down from the gondola.

The Sitnyakovo Express chairlift has been closed for the last couple of days but is open today for walkers only.
snow report
MyBorovets

Keep us posted with your reports please Little Angel . Mrs MA & I have Sofia flights and car hire booked for a week today. Digs are booked in Bansko but we are to decide whether to ski the afternoon of arrival day in Borovets. Looking like it'll be a last minute decision....Snow-forecast.com indicates that the freezing level will stay low with 12 or 15cm of snow at the bottom lift up to next Tuesday. Will that be enough to make much difference?
ski holidays
Eeep - feel sorry for people just about to head out; it's gotta be pretty dissapointing that the conditions are so poor. Have a group of mates who board and are heading out in 2 days time and I dont envy them one bit! I was in Boro last year around the third week of march and there was a ton of snow all week whilst I was there, fresh powder on numerous mornings and lovely empty slopes. Had a fantastic time but think it was luck with us - the locals said they hadn't had so much snow at that time of year for a long time!

Hope it picks up if your going soon! Confused
ski holidays
Updated: 16th January

Sorry for the lack of updates, we've been in Sofia for the past few days ... to be honest though not much is changing day-to-day here, we're all just waiting for the big dump that will open all the lifts.

4 Man chairlift on the Rila slopes is operating today. It is still snowing lightly in the resort & at the top with temperatures remaining cold (-4 at resort level).

Only Martinovi 2 (red) is accessible & open from the lift but still better than nothing.

Yastrebetz cannons are still working & Yastrebetz 2 & 3 are in great condition due to the cold temperatures & constant operation of the cannons.

Gondola is open for walkers & to ski down to Yastrebetz but it is still very rocky so not really recommended for any but the experienced.

Free shuttle bus from the Gondola to Yastrebetz is still operating too.

Sitnyakovo Express open again for walkers only.
snow report
MyBorovets

Cheers for the update.

As things are looking up a bit we've decided that we will give Borovets a whirl next Wed afternoon (en route to Bansko). Hopefully enough open to amuse us for a couple of hours Smile .
snow report
MyBorovets, where was this video taken then?

http://youtube.com/v/h9nQWsTiiNE

Is this video being a little...umm... misleading?
snow report
ski-finder, From watching that vid, and my memory of Boggovets from 15 years ago Shocked I would think one of the Yastrebetz slopes - no.2 IIRC and this comment seems to confirm it I would think Smile
Quote:
Yastrebetz cannons are still working & Yastrebetz 2 & 3 are in great condition due to the cold temperatures & constant operation of the cannons.

If my memory has thrown me a googly ignore all of the above Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Updated: 19th January

It has been snowing heavily since about 10am this morning. Temperatures in the resort have stayed cold (currently-6 degrees). Bulgarian TV is reporting heavy dumps of snow in Eastern Bulgaria with as much as 40cm of snow on the coast. They also suggest it is heading this way so more snow is forecast.

Yes, that video was taken on Popangelov which is one of the red runs services by the Yastrebetz 4 man chair which has had the cannons on ... all photo's on the site which that video originated from are also from Popangelov and the cannon-fed Yastrebetz section ... the whole resort certainly isn't this good ... yet - but as said above the snow is now falling pretty much daily.
ski holidays
MyBorovets, I thought as much! Just shows how your honest reporting shows the whole picture. Although glad the hear the picture is getting much betterfor you and those heading out!
ski holidays
Updated: 22nd January

Conditions are getting better by the day. It has been snowing on & off (lightly) for the past couple of days.

The MyBorovets team went night skiing last night & conditions were perfect as they had had the snow cannons on late in the day.

The cannons were on overnight.

Most slopes on the Rila side are open. Gondola is open but only to ski down to the Yastrebetz / Popangelov runs. All Markujik slopes at the top of the gondola are still closed & there are no drag / chairlifts working at the top of the gondola.
snow conditions
Just got back from a much better than expected and snowy Borovets!

We really lucked out with all the bad weather that last few weeks, we arrived to a nice dusting of snow and the Gondola was working with Yastrebetz/Rila runs ready to use from the off, bit icy in place but after 2 days was not bad at all! Yastrebetz in particular was in very good condition and we boarded all the way down the closed run down to the gondola and although needed the piste-bashers out, was lovely and powdery for the most part. Resort level looks really nice and wintery as well. So panic over for everyone heading there from now on methinks although its turning very cold there now -20-odd so wrap up warm!
ski holidays
MyBorovets, What are conditions like in Borovets at the moment ?
snow conditions
Come on MyBorovets, keep us up to date, I'm going back in a week or so!! How is the snow over there at the moment?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey Rounddodger .. there last week (flew back last night) - patchy on the lower slopes but up at the top (via Gondala) was fine - snow condition was mixed - from powder to icy to slushy dependent on height / weather but mostly fine.

Fresh dump all day yesterday so should be much better this week .. but definitely warmer than I was expecting & being described as worst season (conditions) for 20 years.

Oh & Rila food / hire equipment is exceptionally poor !!! but will post on that later

GL
latest report
Phyllis Stein wrote:
Hey Rounddodger .. there last week (flew back last night) - patchy on the lower slopes but up at the top (via Gondala) was fine - snow condition was mixed - from powder to icy to slushy dependent on height / weather but mostly fine.

Fresh dump all day yesterday so should be much better this week .. but definitely warmer than I was expecting & being described as worst season (conditions) for 20 years.

Oh & Rila food / hire equipment is exceptionally poor !!! but will post on that later

GL

Cheers fella, I went mid-jan and although we missed the worst half the runs were closed. Is everything open there?

Also foodwise, we avoid hotels every time mate, horrible stuff. I can recommend some places to go for you next time.

(I forget proper names but easy enough to find)

Blue - Awesome steaks and traditional Bulgarian dishes and proper vodkas if you want a decent drink with your meal. Near the Rila, take a right before you get to the top if walking from the Samakov.

Mexican - 2 mins up road from Samakov hotel, top notch and the best full english in the resort with proper bacon and beans etc.

A few more but can't think at the moment!
latest report
No probs .. all pretty muh open at the top (via Gondala) - just the Red on far right closed with direct run back to Rila patchy. Lower slopes were heavily cut up (maybe better after yesterday's snow) with Red on far left of resort closed.

Apologies - not great with the names of runs (or Bulgarian!)

Off piste is a bit patchy but conditons over the back are OK.

Found both Blue n Mexican .. also Venice is OK plus BJs for a smoke free bar ....

For lunch go for The Finish Line ... think that was what it was called???

Anyway ... hope conditions last til u go .. but it is still very warm during the day ...

On the ski hire .. go private or pay to get them serviced yourself ... it is worth it

GL
latest report
I've had my own board for couple years, sick of renting shite stuff, and the rental stuff in bulgaria is terrible.

Overall as a resort Borovets is OK, it defo has a nice buzz going on night life-wise, quite like the karaoke bar and a few others. The touts around harassment get annoying after a while and that homeless begger, well I really wanted to punch that Be Nice please!.

As long as the Yastrebetz is open all the way down to the gondola, i'll be happy. NehNeh Due to get colder by the end of next week by the looks of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy