Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ditching the boarding for a baby!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I've been snowboarding for coming up to a year now after loving my first snowboarding holiday at the beginning of the year. Since my hol, I've gone and bought my own kit and have been going to Hemel Hempstead and Milton Keynes every 2-3 weeks and have booked to go to the Metro Snow Show and were planning on booking our next hol for the coming season.......but......I'm pregnant Smile my partner and I are over the moon about our new addition to the family, especially as it will be our first Very Happy

Just one thing....that's snowboarding out the window for at least the next six months Sad and means no winter hol for us!

I'm really scared that when I do go back to the snowdome next year after little one is born, I'll loose everything I have learnt and will be like bambi on the snow!

What are others experiences? I've just become really confident and have progressed so much! Have you got back on the snow from giving birth and found it came back naturally or did you have to learn it all over again?!

Just would like some advice Smile and once the little one is old enough, they'll be snowboarding too Very Happy

Thanks, Jode x
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't worry - you never forget how! It's like riding a bike.

We had 2008 spring off skiing because I had a baby in the March and then this year we skied, taking it in turns with the other one looking after the baby.

I would say that having a baby can be very life-changing though in terms of how you view your own mortality. Therefore if you've previously been into dropping off cliffs or doing other daredevil stunts, you may be a little cautious the next time you get on a board. It's happened to a few people I know.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks, Snowy, for the advice. No we've not been into any dangerous stuff like that! My other half was 'talking' about learning to freestyle but I think that's all talk Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry, I forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!! Very Happy Very Happy

It took me a winter of cold-turkey to get over my annual excitement of a ski trip. I've got a trip to Tignes booked next Jan, going over as a trip with people from work, leaving my very lovely and considerate husband at home to take care of our little boy. I can't wait! I'm trying to hide my excitement though because it's a bit unfair my husband gets to stay behind.

Regarding confidence on the snow, I'd also say it totally depends on the snow conditions. This February the snow in whistler was like cement for the last few days of the holiday. It wasn't exactly a pleasure to ski at all.

So when you say "learning to freestyle", do you mean do jumps? Like on a half-pipe? Shocked Scary stuff! wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Congrats and fab news. It is like learning to ride a bike. I was back on my board 7 weeks after our little one was born and my incentive now is to keep going cos I know that one day he will want to board with me!

Enjoy your pregnancy and the white stuff will be there when you are back
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Eww.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always say there are 3 kinds of child options, girl, boy or skier. I pray to god that one day I dont get the skier. The other 2 make no difference, except its maybe easier to train a girl for the olympics than the boys. Jenny jones's x games gold run would be last place in the mens contest. But then the earning power of the men is more than the women, hmm, I need to think this one through properly.

Anway, congratulations/commiserations.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jode_123 wrote:
I'm really scared that after little one is born, I'll loose everything......

Don't worry - they'll stitch you up and everything will stay in place....oh...I guess that's not what you meant....

Congratulations, btw......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Congratulations Jode_123,

You're like me and my best beloved, who are expecting the rumble of tiny ski-boots sometime in late November. Missus only got back into skiing last year after 10+ years off, and she was black running by day 1 and swapping intermediate gear for top-end on day-2. You'll be back into it in no time i bet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mouth wrote:
Enjoy your pregnancy and the white stuff will be there when you are back

Enjoy your pregnancy? Is it supposed to be enjoyable? It was the longest nine and a half months of my life (baby was 2 weeks late!). rolling eyes

I wish I was a man sometimes... They have it easy! wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all Very Happy

I'll just want to get back on the snow so I can get ready for when the little one is big enough to come with us to board I'll be good enough and Dad won't show me up!! Laughing

Lucky youSnowy, bet your hubby isn't impressed lol! My other half won't go to the indoor slopes now, even though I keep bugging him to go and I'll watch (as hard as it may be!!) but he says it's no fun without me! (bless)!

Anyhow, we're engaged and planning to get wed year after next on the snow so he'll be able to go then NehNeh
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aww thanks Richard_Sideways, wow got the little one all kitted out with their own kit!

Excellent, that gives me more confidence as I'd like to go back to the indoor slopes after baby is born and practice before going away, so only nine/ten months off which is nothing Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jode_123, when is your baby due?

I don't know when the perfect time to get pregnant is, so it doesn't interfere with the old skiing/boarding schedule too much. wink

I hate to say it but they can learn to ski before they can learn to snowboard (and they might like skiing...) Shocked Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
any child of mine skis and it will be straight in a box and dumped outside a church.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Don't worry - they'll stitch you up and everything will stay in place

Laughing
ski holidays
Jode_123, Thanks Very Happy Junior is BOUND to be a snowhead, after all is is a souvenier brought back from Samoen.

Jonny luv plums, I know what you mean, no boy of mine will be a pole-fancier, but missus has other ideas - suspect she is playing him subliminal Ski Sunday theme while still inside. Plus ski school will only teach boarding from about 6/7 but skiing from 3/4
snow conditions
Anyone who doesn't both board and ski is a gaylord anyway.
ski holidays
Snowy, baby is due end of May so I guess it's not too bad, a couple of sessions at the indoor dome and then back out in the real stuff in November.

Haha, this is the discussion me and my other half have had, I've said we'll get them into skiing first, just so we can take them away with us, get them used to the snow etc and then when they are old enough they can try boarding! I think it's great to introduce skiing anyway at that age as it makes them more confident Smile
snow report
Jode_123, my missus was last on the piste in July in L2A while she was 5 months gone, although she was lamenting the lack of maternity ski-wear (hole in the market perhaps? must consult Dragons Den...)

The instructor at her pre-natal swim aerobics round-ladies thing said there was nothing wrong with doing anything you normally do, so if you're confident to go do it, go! Baby will get a kick off of all the adrenalin and endorphins you get from riding, though you may want to lay off the 25' jumps...

Of course for the true snow mum, there's always this... no info on sidecuts/waxing options though
Very Happy http://www.olivers-baby-care.co.uk/prams-pushchairs/pram-accessories/pram-accessories-buggy-boards/seed-pli-skiset-and-snow-runners.html
snow report
Really didn't enjoy the mountain biking at 5 months gone while in L2A but a couple of hours a day pootling down pistes on shabby rental skis that weren't a patch on my lovely speedy volkl feugo's were quite pleasurable. Mind you, I did discover afterwards that my travel insurance was pretty much void during pregnancy so that might be a big factor in deciding if you want to do something this winter!

Thanks to Richard, looks like I will be having to fathom out how get pram skis to work....
latest report
Just read Richard's last comment - prenatal round ladies thing. Round ladies Evil or Very Mad

Hmmmph, if he wasn't going away this weekend to some sitting on his bum snowboarding thing at Hemel, I'd thump him wink .
latest report
Thanks Richard_Sideways, I did go to Hemel a few weeks ago as we had booked in advance, got on the slopes and I was too worried about falling and in the end I didn't enjoy it as much as I used too. Like most improving snowboarders, I do have my occasional tumble, usually very minor but all it takes is for me to have a bad day or some dodgy skiier who gets in my way Madeye-Smiley and then I may have a bad fall. Just a personal preference I guess, I just don't want to risk anything, it's only nine months of my life so it's not that long wink
snow report
Ha I love those pram skiis Toofy Grin they look interesting!!
ski holidays
Jode_123, don't blame you for one minute, always29, was taking it easy too.
Just keep looking forward to zipping him or her into their little fartbag for their first proper snowday...
snow report
http://global.burton.com/boys-chopper-snowboard/220474,default,pd.html?dwvar_220474_variationSize=120&start=3&cgid=boys-boards

burton chopper, get the 90cm, grippy pads and riglet tow rope and he/she is away.

http://global.burton.com/boys-snowboard-boots-grom-boot/218851,default,pd.html
There's the boots with room to grow footbeds.

Minishred for girls
http://global.burton.com/girls-minishred-collection/girls-collection-mini-shred,default,sc.html

Minishred for boys.
http://global.burton.com/boys-minishred-collection/boys-collection-mini-shred,default,sc.html

Absolutely no reason why any child should "have" to ski because of age. I rent a few 90cm boards out over a season, I think it's awesome.

K2's mini turbo package is the best one I've seen, almost worth having a kid for.
http://k2snowboarding.com/boards/mini-turbo
ski holidays
Hey - love the kiddies boards! They are fab! What age can little ones snowboard from? It's about 7 here isn't it? What about in other countries? I'm sure I've seen smaller ones on boards.....
snow conditions
Jode_123, when they want to imo, if not sooner.
snow conditions
Was up at HH this weekend, and there were several little 'uns who were probably about 5 scooting about on boards having a lesson.

Jonny luv plums, nice gear - not too sure about the little fart-bags for boarders though, sends a dangerous message that they are acceptable in our community... best leave them to the pole-fondlers.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Richard_Sideways, fart bags are in, get with it.
snow report
Jode_123, I don't blame you not wanting to board whilst pregnant - you can obviously fall incredibly hard on the bump. I was windsurfing unil 2 weeks before my baby was born - but that was soft landings. My daughter is now 25 and a keen skier. She will be with us in the Alps at Christmas, and very pregnant by then - she's definitely not going to ski.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, NEVER! I've spent too long riding with a jaxie full of snow to ride differently now!
Obviously Nitro must be providing you an exquisite fur-lined, monogramed one with an onboard Glade plug-in for an oh-so Alpine freshness all day long, no matter how hard the landing.
latest report
Jode_123,
My wife fell pregnant last winter and is due in a couple of weeks. As we are based in the Alps in the winter her first visit to a doctor was in France. He told her to stay off skis from the start, the issue for him was the risk of broken bones and not wanting to xray someone who is pregnant.
latest report
Quote:

the issue for him was the risk of broken bones and not wanting to xray someone who is pregnant.

that's a good point - though I guess the risk is mostly in the first trimester when you might not even know you are pregnant? I remember going to A & E with a son with a broken arm - he was very little and I wanted to hold him during the X ray but because I couldn't be sure I wasn't pregnant I had to wait outside and watch his wan little uncomplaining face through the window. Sad
ski holidays
Good point pam_w. I didn't think of that one.

I'm interested to know how an x-ray could affect a foetus?

Could they not cloak you in lots of lead aprons, only exposing the potentially broken limb?
ski holidays
I've just read the following interesting article on t'internet:

"While fetal exposure over 10 rads (the unit of measurement for absorbed radiation) has been shown to increase the risks for learning disabilities and eye abnormalities, you needn't worry. It's rare for a diagnostic X-ray to exceed 5 rads.

For example, the amount of radiation that a baby gets from a mother's dental X-ray is only 0.01 millirad. Since a rad is equal to 1,000 millirads, one would have to have 100,000 dental X-rays for the baby to receive just one rad. Other estimated fetal doses are 60 millirads for a chest X-ray, 290 millirads for an abdominal X-ray, and 800 millirads for a computerised tomographic (CT) scan. For perspective, during the normal course of pregnancy your baby is exposed to about 100 millirads of natural radiation from the sun and earth. "
snow report
sideslip1, a good point, well made.
Another reason is if they have to give pain-killers or other medication in relation to an injury too. When always29 and I were having a chat with our consultant about what you can and can't take, he said that although most drugs probably wouldn't cause harm to the baby, they can't be used as they have never been tested during pregnancy so can't be given. Ethics - not just a county east of London after all...
snow report
Child birth is the most gruesome thing I've ever seen * 2

But taking your kids snowboarding is awesome Very Happy

So it's worth it. But I'm a fella. My wife had to widen her stance by a couple of inches after she had the kids.

My kids are 9 and 7 now, both rip, and I can't keep up with them, in the park, back country, etc etc.

Buying mini snowboards is cool, and teaching them to freak out the powder 8 all in one flouro ski suit mueseli munchers never gets old.
ski holidays
Congratulations Jode_123! You got nothing to worry about. DISCLAIMER - not a doctor and this is not medically-approved advice.

However, our youngest was conceived in Mottaret, OH skied all through that season whilst pregnant, skipped the next season but we all went away the one after (when youngest was 15 months and eldest was turning 4) and we've been away together every year since - he turned 13 today. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Jode, my missus is expecting our first in two weeks and although we still have a cheeky look through the new gear at TSA, we have made it clear to one another that we must only have a snowboarding pipe dream once a month for fear of getting depressed at the fact we won't be going until winter 2010/11 Smile

We're just going to enjoy the little one, start saving for next year and then we'll have two good things to look forward to; a great hol after a long break and our little one's first trip to see proper amounts of snow. Smile
snow report
Yeah babies are cool - we had one last year.
They don't slide as well as boards though, but you rarely catch an edge!
Good luck Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy