Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Southern Alps

Poster: A snowHead
...well, more specifically Serre Chevalier!

Just what is the deal with this snow drought!? Surely if it hadn't been for the extra-low temps over the past month or so, we'd be looking at brown slopes by now? Seems incredible to think that there's been almost no significant snowfall since Christmas! Surely this cannot go on much longer... (he says desperately hoping someone - Skanky? - has some crumbs of comfort to offer...)

I can confidently predict that there will be a huge dump of snow on or shortly after Sunday 27th March, as this is the day we return from the resort. Anyone planning a late season trip can book for that week, safe in the knowledge that there will be gobsmackingly large amounts of fresh snow at that time.

Anyone seen any positive looking signs of imminent downpours of the white, fluffy stuff?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Posted a translation of a piece on the problems the southern Alps are facing here

A few sarcastic comments about "touristofficespeak" in the follow-up posts too.

It's bad - especially if you are more than a blues cruiser. Lots of the steeper runs are closed, and there's no off piste to speak of. Still, with a month to go there's still hope...

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 24-02-05 18:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm keen to understand the weather patterns for this region better. I'm off to Les Deux Alpes for the week commencing 2 April and am sure I'll get some skiing, but will there be any soft stuff. My concern is based on my last trip to Les Deux Alpes where high winds turned the new snow (off piste) to ice virtually overnight (Christmas 2003). I love to know what are the chances of fresh snow not accompanied by high winds?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's always soft snow at that time of year. Too soft, come the afternoon, for some people's taste. Fresh snow, wind? Who knows, it's just too far away to make any sensible predictions. Welcome to snowHead snowHeads! snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good point PG - just look at the hopeless "forecasting" done by the British weather forecasters in the last day or so... "heavy snow & hazardous driving conditions in the Midlands", yeah, right... I had 1 cm of wet snow on my car this morning! If they can't even get it right that close to the time, what chance over a month away?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dasher, I've skied La Grave several times in April...so been down to St Christophe, and LDA a few times. Yes...you'll get snow. It will be soft, either a) 'cos it's fresh, or b) (most likely) 'cos the sun has got at it. Chatting to a mountain guide in Alpe D'huez last week, he mentioned that 'These days, it's usually windy when it snows'....global warming or something.

Being picky, I'm not sure that wind can turn snow to ice....can blow it all away tho' Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, your guide's concern is my concern too. Everywhere I've been recently snow has been accompanied by or followed by wind. I wonder if this could this be something to do with choosing higher resorts?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.metcheck.com/snow/skiResort.asp?ResortID=37&Country=France&Resort=Serre%2DChevalier&PROMO= seems to indicate a possible bit of precipitation towards the end of next week... fingers crossed!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
www.avalanche-net.com has an interesting 7 day sat animation here. Gives a good idea of the general trends.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nice one PG. Looks like there's another mass of cloud heading in behind the first lot too. So cloud coming from the west is good news for Southern Alps or not? - can't remember which way is best now!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lived in the south-east for a long while - most of the "weather" in the southern Alps comes from the south-west, bringing up moisture from the Med.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski wrote:

Being picky, I'm not sure that wind can turn snow to ice....can blow it all away tho' :(

They were probably thinking of windpacked snow. The wind compacts the snow crystals breaking down the delicate crystal structure in a process called sintering. If th sun gets on whats left you can effectively get very hard icy slopes. This winter a lot of snowfall has been accompanied by strong winds which have lead to poor conditions higher up, better lower down where it is sheltered. The best skiing condtions at present are in the lower pre-Alps between 1000 and 2000 meters. There has been almost 2meters of snow over the last two weeks in the Vercors and not much less here in the Chartreuse.

Here is a photo from my office window to give you an idea of the conditions:

http://www.skirando.com/images/news/2005/sept-laux-25feb.jpg

I'm off out now :-).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Southern Alps are suffering prolonged sunshine - it's the middle of summer right now. Never heard of a place called Serre Chevalier in the Southern Alps. You might be more sucessful looking for it in the southern Alps. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
PG wrote:
www.avalanche-net.com has an interesting 7 day sat animation here. Gives a good idea of the general trends.

That's a GFS model animation (not a satellite one) - which is also what Metcheck tend to use (amongst other things) in their snow forecast.
Sorry to be pedantic.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skanky... yes so it is! Wasn't thinking too clearly at the time - having resisted the temptation until now, with a lazy afternoon ahead and no work to speak of, I finally succumbed - and drank those two bottles of Black Sheep in very quick succession.

Thanks again, really superb, brought back some memories. Through a bit of a haze...
snow report
PG, no worries and glad you enjoyed them. snowHead
snow report
Manda, I would be surprised if everybody doesn't know where the Southern Alps are. It always comes up in the pub quiz on skiing holidays>
latest report
maggi, it would indeed be surprising, if the Southern Alps had gone missing.
snow report
laundryman, Well, if they had, it would be a woman's fault. Because they're the ones who always tidy everything away Toofy Grin
snow conditions
We've actually got some snow forecast for the Southern Alps in the next 3 days. I'll let everyone know if it turns up.

The main problem in the Southern Alps has not really be a lack of snow, it's been too much wind... Embarassed pardon-me! We have had quite a lot of snow, but the wind has scoured the slopes....particularly high up.

It has been perpetually cold here at PSV for the last 2 months so lots of snow making is keeping the resorts open...conditions are not that bad all things considered.
latest report
petel, ..... are you in two places at once? wink
snow report
carled wrote:
http://www.metcheck.com/snow/skiResort.asp?ResortID=37&Country=France&Resort=Serre%2DChevalier&PROMO= seems to indicate a possible bit of precipitation towards the end of next week... fingers crossed!

hmmm, metcheck have been predicting lots of snow in three days' time for about the last 3 weeks. I think they are paid by the serre che tourist office Sad
snow report
It snowed in serre-chevalier last night
about six inches in the bottom of the valley so there should be a bit more on the tops
we have been waiting along time for snow...
snowHead
snow report
jc, Thank you....you've made my day! Now if you could just arrange a few more feet between now and next Saturday.....
ski holidays
Quote:

It snowed in serre-chevalier last night

Hurrah! Bring it on. homphomp, just don't go using it all up - some of the rest of us have 2 weeks to wait!
snow report
carled, Knowing my luck it'll start snowing as we leave and you'll get the best stuff! Have a grand time...
snow report
If it snowed last night, why is snow-forecast reporting this?

Serre Chevalier Snow Report Snow conditions courtesy of the Ski Club of Great Britain
Date of report: 02/03/2005
Weather: Sun. Clear skies providing great views
Lower Slopes: 20 cm
Temp at 8am: -10 C
Upper Slopes: 50 cm
Date Last Snow: 23/01/2005
Glacier Snow :
Off Piste: Packed
Runs to Resort: Hard
No of Lifts Open: 67 / 74
Piste Condition: Hard
Comments: Some icy patches
snow conditions
Ah. That'll be because the report was from yesterday... Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
homphomp, I have the same luck usually... bumper snowfall starting the 27th March then...
snow conditions
carled, If we're lucky someone with really bad luck is out there next week....bumper snowfall as they hit the airport on Saturday 12 then... snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I should think there'll be some more over the next 48 hours. After that, it looks like amounts will drop off a bit, but there could be some mid-week.
snow report
It has started snowing again in serre-chevalier and it looks set to continue..
i went up the mountain for a couple of runs about midday and the snow was a lot better than it has been..
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
carled, ignore snow forecast's report, it's been the same since 23/01/05, they seem to rotate between using different sources for the reports and they're all very wrong.

Yes, it has snowed, it snowed on Monday too. Much better conditions. And PG, I missed your post on 24th Feb but there is off-piste to speak of and has been all along. Just well-packed, obviously no soft stuff and rocks to watch out for, but good to ski on. But then, I am only skiing in Monetier at present so not sure what the rest of the valley is like!

The new snow is great news. It's snowing heavier than it has in five weeks now so long may it continue...
snow conditions
Mel@EurekaSKI, pleased it's snowing of course, but it will delay the restart of the building on the apartment of course, but enjoy the snow.
snow report
Long may it snow as am going there on 2 April and having spent 2 seasons working there I need off-piste!
snow report
skilegs, enjoy.......... snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy