Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do Ryanair check ski bags for non ski stuff

Poster: A snowHead
I've loaded my skis along with other baggage recently, can't think where, Zurich possibly.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, that might be true in Europe, but I can tell you (at least over the last 2 months) is not the case in the US. Depends on where you're going I guess...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I had an 'incident' in Dublin airport last week, presented a ski bag and also a bag with my boots in it that was a normal luggage bag. Ryanair objected to the luggage bag and asked to see was there only boots in it. The problem was there were boots and other items. Anyway a stand off followed and I was directed to a supervisor, They went on about having only boots in the bag and could they open it, I said I would not allow them open it and that it wasn't very clear on their website about this. Eventually they let me off and I said I'd be more careful next time.

The lesson is make sure your ski or board bag looks like a sports equipment bag.

kendub, devious, but good way to overcome there stupid restrictive rules, can be difficult to pull that off in some airports as oversized luggage drop-off within view of check-in desk. I'd keep this one quiet as snowheads isn't exactly private.

alex heney Just because airlines have terms and conditions doesn't mean they are legal, do you think Ryanair obey the law always??? I think O'Leary prides himself on getting one over people, that's why he has a taxi license so he can drive in the bus lanes to get to work quicker. They might have a condition that says no overweight passengers can board or no one legged ones, but I don't think it would be legal. To request a bagagge search I think they would have to have a security reason to do so to get a security person involved, I think it would be an invasion of privacy for a Ryanair member to have a bag searched, otherwise what's to stop them saying they want a full body search also and also search yoour car, house...

rayscoops I don't think all hold luggage is scanned, I don't think there is time to scan everything and still get planes out on time, maybe that's why there did a random check on your bag.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Ross wrote:

alex heney Just because airlines have terms and conditions doesn't mean they are legal, do you think Ryanair obey the law always???

Agreed, but this one is IMO obviously legal. I can see no plausible reason why such a clause would not be legal.

Quote:

I think O'Leary prides himself on getting one over people, that's why he has a taxi license so he can drive in the bus lanes to get to work quicker. They might have a condition that says no overweight passengers can board or no one legged ones, but I don't think it would be legal. To request a bagagge search I think they would have to have a security reason to do so to get a security person involved, I think it would be an invasion of privacy for a Ryanair member to have a bag searched, otherwise what's to stop them saying they want a full body search also and also search yoour car, house...

If it is legal for the airport staff to do so, then I can't see how the clause in their T&C would be unenforceable.

Your car & house are, of course, another matter entirely, unless you are trying to take those on their aircraft.

I am pretty sure that if their T&C say they can demand a search of anything (including your person) which is going on their aircraft, then that clause would be upheld by the courts in case of any dispute, particularly given that it is a legal requirement that you submit to any such searches required by security staff, if you want to travel.

And the only reason they would not get away with clauses banning overweight or one legged people is the disability discrimination act.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, I'm no legal eagle but as you say above that 'it is a legal requirement that you submit to any such searches required by security staff'

As a security guards role in the airport is to check for illegal substances, devices etc, Ryanair asking to check if there were a few ski socks and a pair of boxers in the ski bag would be deemed a waste of security time, would you agree?

I never tried to put a car or house on a plane but some people do try and squeeeze that volume of luggage in the overhead lockers snowHead

If you still have a problem ask for O'Leary himself, in Dublin he'd probably come marching out!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski,
Quote:

Easyjets allowance is 30kg per ski bag

Careful on that one!
I got hammered at Grenoble a couple of weeks ago. Weight limit for ski bags on their list for Easyjet is 12kg. Even after 2 attempts at repacking I could only get it down to 16kg so had to cough up excess charge.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
larry duff, 12kg. that's just silly, boots weigh 5kg, wheely bag probably 3kg, not much left for skis and poles.

but maybe you already had a 20kg bag checked in, see terms below:

Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs. Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out above shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Only solution is to use TOs again!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
larry duff, for the Easyjet thread really, but you should have had a copy of the T&Cs which states that paying the ski baggage fee increases your baggage allowance to 32 kg,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Ross wrote:
alex_heney, I'm no legal eagle but as you say above that 'it is a legal requirement that you submit to any such searches required by security staff'

As a security guards role in the airport is to check for illegal substances, devices etc, Ryanair asking to check if there were a few ski socks and a pair of boxers in the ski bag would be deemed a waste of security time, would you agree?

If Ryanair were to ask security to check the bag for that reason, yes it would be a waste of security time. If they did it themselves, then it wouldn't affect security time.

Quote:

I never tried to put a car or house on a plane but some people do try and squeeeze that volume of luggage in the overhead lockers snowHead

Laughing Laughing

Quote:

If you still have a problem ask for O'Leary himself, in Dublin he'd probably come marching out!

I don't have a problem. I just don't understand why people think those clauses in the airline T&C's are not enforceable.

The default position is that anything in the T&C of a contract is enforceable. That default is only overridden if there is a reason why it should not be enforceable. Which normally means the T&C require something which would be illegal to do, or they would be in breach of anti-discrimination legislation, or they would breach the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations, or there is some other specific legislation banning the terms or overriding them.

It definitely is not illegal to allow your bags to be searched, so that one is out. I cant see how it discriminates in any of the ways disallowed by law, so that one is out. I can't see how it could be considered an "unfair" term, since it is already a requirement that you submit to searches (for security reasons, but I don't think that makes a difference).

So unless there is some specific legislation which would disallow such terms (and it seems unlikely that almost all airlines would have them if there were such legislation), I really can't see why the terms would be unenforceable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thats a bit cheeky with Easyjet and their allowance. We paid to carry 1 set of skis and thought we had an extra 30kg in addition to on check in luggage. Good job I read this post, could of been an expensive start to the holiday!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
aimeesmart, sorry, I don't agree with you that there's anything particularly cheeky about it. The section on their baggage policy says:

"Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out in our carrier’s regulations shall apply in addition to the above fee."

So that's pretty clear that it's a total of 32kg. You can carry up to 50kg (i.e. the 30kg in addtional to the standard 20kg allowance) only if you pay per kg for the additional luggage.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If Ryanair staff want to search your bag/person/anything else of yours that you want to take on the plane, of course they are entitled to. If you refuse, they can just refuse to allow you on the plane. It is not 'neccessary' for you to travel with them, so I can't understand why anyone owuld think it an invasion of their civil liberties. If you choose to fly with them, you choose to obey their rules.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Ross, rayscoops,

I actually had a board bag with board, boots, helmet etc plus clothes, all carefully organized to weigh in at 20kg. Their point was that as I didn't pay for a "hold bag" which could weigh up to 20kg, then my sports equipment was only permitted to weigh up to 12kg. I was fairly annoyed, as you can imagine. GrahamN, I suppose there will be something in the contract about it!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
larry duff, yes I do the same, but the 'flight' comes with 20 kg and the T&Cs do not seem to say you have to pay for a hold bag to get that allowance, all that is different is that you did not check in (and therefore pay for) a hold bag to use up some of the 20 kg allowance in addition to your 12 kg for the ski carriage

The T&Cs do seem to change a bit, but I always take the T&Cs and argue my point because the desk guys/girls do not know their own rules Very Happy

Quote - Up to 8 pieces of checked-in hold baggage to a maximum combined weight of 20kg. Each piece of checked-in hold baggage will incur a fee, which is payable online or at the airport at a higher charge...... An additional non-refundable fee is charged per item per flight for the carriage of the above items (skis) as set out in our carrier’s regulations. Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kg.

edit - some light bedtime reading
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31031&start=160
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58745&highlight=
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, Actually on the way there, checking in at an Easyjet counter, it was not a problem. It was on the way back, where the desk staff just have a list of airline weight limits, when the problem presented. I spoke to 2 different staff, who both consulted with their supervisors, only to come back with the same result. I just assumed it was Easyjet trying to close a loophole. I obviously wasn't as well prepared as you, as I didn't expect there to be a problem. I suppose its too late to get my 45 Euro back!
ski holidays
larry duff, I think you were mugged !! Sad and maybe it would have been cheaper to have simply paid for a hold bag at Grenoble (whether you checked it in or not) instead of excess baggage ?

They tried to do the same thing to me at Bristol last season, but this weekend I had no problem Bristol/Innsbruck with about 15 kg in my board bag and I am sure my mate had a bit more than that. I always carry a print out of the T&Cs.

One of the posts in one of the links above includes an extract from an email from Easyjet customers services whereby they confirm that paying the higher priced ski carriage fee gives you 32 kg.

I would cut and paste the T&Cs on to an email and send a complaint in to them
snow conditions
I think I might be heading for a similiar problem, booked for two of us to geneva, paid for one bag and oe sports bag (skis). Now my interpretation (and in actual fact the truth!) is that the hold bag is for my friend (who is renting skis) and the ski bag is for me! Now she should have 20kilo allowance and I should according to GrahamN 's post have 32kg allowance! If they interpret that the ski bag is her second bag (which it is not!) then the baggage allowance will be only 12kilos for the ski bag!

Perhaps an email to easyjet prior to departure is in order!
snow report
SkiG, there is a thread around here somewhere (which may have got a little heated Wink - it's a safer bet than not) of someone who had a group of 4 people + 1 set of skis, total allowance 92kg which they then put into 2 (maybe 3) bags + 1 ski bag.....or something like that. IIRC, there was a statement of the total weight allowance on their booking confirmation, which also specified the number of bags.
snow report
SkiG, i think because you paid for the one checked-in baggage you have 2 hold bag allowances totalling 40 kg (2 x 20 kg) plus 12 kg ski allowance you paid for, and you are allowed to take 1 hold bag and 1 ski bag to a maximum of 52 kg combined (making sure no single bag weighs over 32 kg). There is something on the Easyjet web site (see below) mentions payment of a 'baggage fee' to get the 20 kg check-in allowance, so arguably it is a bit vague, but I would be arguing a simple 20 kg for the hold bag for one person and 32 kg for the next person for paying the ski baggage fee

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31031&start=120

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/regulations.html#baggage Easyjet website Checked Baggage Every item of standard checked ('hold') baggage will incur a fee. The applicable online fee will be displayed at the time of booking baggage (whether during or after booking your flight). Alternatively, you may choose to pay a higher charge at the airport. You will be advised of this charge at the airport. Payment of the fee provides you with an aggregate allowance of 20kg across all pieces of hold baggage which may only be increased by payment of excess weight charges.
snow report
Has anyone got anything in t's and c's in case of argument on the "big wheelie bag as only luggage with no hold luggage booked" front? I have just had a long an illogical argument with the easyjet live chat people about this. They say it's fine having one 32kg bag only for sports equipment but it must NOT contain "hold baggage". I asked them what consituted "hold baggage" and they said it was anything not on the Easyjet recognised list of sports equipment. I then asked about helmets, salopettes, jackets etc... and they said it was all hold luggage and not sports equipment. I asked why it mattered what was making up the 32kg of luggage once paid for and they said they couldn't comment. I suggested it was purely a money making exercise to get people to book extra luggage when it wasn't really needed and they once again couldn't comment.

I'm contemplating a short break with Easyjet in a few weeks time, but I'm off with Ryanair in a week or so and I have ski bag only, no hold luggage booked as all my clothes, boots, helmet, gloves, etc. is going in the board bag... I understand that as long as I stay under 20kg I *should* be ok, but just in case they decide to argue... is there anything in the t's and c's that explicitly states that clothes may NOT be put in the bag? I argued with easyjet that it made sense for me to pack my bag with clothes to protect my board and they agreed. Then they said, "but not too many clothes" and I told them that was a ridiculous rule and what, exactly, counted as "too many" clothes? They responded, "you can't take clothes in the bag" and I pointed out that they just said I could as long as it wasn't "too many" and they then said they were just clarifying the terms and conditions and they're very sorry, they can't comment further...

Obviously what they're trying to do is keep the rules wooly so that they can extract the maximum possible money from confused travellers booking extra space they don't really need...
snow report
RA sports allowance just covers you for sports equipment, so technically no clothes. However I've found once within the weight allowance they dont check.

As a backup bring an empty hand luggage bag as large as allowable. In the unlikely event they look in your sports bag, transfer clothes to your hand luggage
snow conditions
Ryanair's T's and C's state:
Quote:
Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of a discounted online fee of £40/€40 per item, per one way flight. If the item is purchased at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre a higher fee of £50/€50 per item/per one way flight will apply). Any sporting and musical item weighing over the 20 kilos allowance will be charged for the excess at the applicable excess baggage rate per kilo.

Baggage Q&A says:
Quote:
CAN I BRING MY SPORTS EQUIPMENT OR BIKE?

Sporting equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to cellos, harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However, these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance up to a limit of 20 kilos per item upon payment of an additional discounted fee per item, per one way flight if booked online. If the item is not booked until arrival at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre the full fee will apply (Click here for rate details). Any item of sports equipment weighing over 20 kilos will be charged for the excess weight at the applicable rate per kilo.

Due to space limitations on the aircraft, we recommend that all sports equipment is booked online either at the time of booking or via the Manage My Booking section. Click here for details

Special advice for the carriage of bicycles
The pedals must be removed (or fixed inwards) and the handlebars must be fixed sideways. The bike MUST be contained in a protective box or bag. It is not necessary from a safety perspective to deflate typical tyres found on bikes and wheelchairs for carriage in the hold. However, to eliminate the small risk of them being damaged by bursting, you may wish to deflate the tyres.

I can find NOTHING that states that you must ONLY have what they call sports equipment in the sports equipment bag... therefore surely if they kick off I just point to the t's and c's as they are the legally binding part, aren't they?
ski holidays
carled, I have probably flown with Easyjet about 10 times over the last few years and have only taken my board bag, with no major issues. To be honest I would not be raising the issue with them, otherwise they might start thinking about it and and changing to T&Cs accordingly

edit - if you had no sports equipment at all in the bag I think they would get stroppy
ski holidays
boabski wrote:
kendub, In over a dozen ski trips or so always taking my own gear and only paying per ski bag, I have never had my bag checked. You simply take to oversized luggage who scan and send off to plane. Simples. This year went out with EasyJet and back with Ryanair. Easyjets allowance is 30kg per ski bag and 20kg for ryanair. I had loads of things in them in addition to skis. What are your worried about. I've even had 6 pairs of skis last year in the one bag - as long as it does not exceed the allowance and you are not trasnporting illegal goods, they do not give a poo-poo whether its skis and dildos that you've got in your 'ski' bag

Jesus thats a relief, I was wondering how I was going to get my collection to Geneva.

You have to admit though, good to see them continue to make a loss in Q3.

Right up your jacksy MOL.
snow report
Fifespud wrote:

You have to admit though, good to see them continue to make a loss in Q3.

Right up your jacksy MOL.

Only "good" if you are really stupid, or don't ever intend using them and are spiteful enough to want that choice taken away from others too.
ski holidays
Its always amazing what you catch with the MOL bait!

Maybe though, if he was not quite so obnoxious, and he treated his customers slightly less like cattle, people like me wouldn't be quite so anti his business. It was getting to the stage when he seemed to think he could introduce any ridiculous charge or obstacle and we would all follow, baa-ing as we went.

A few losses on the trot may just make him realise he is not the second coming embodied, a little humility would go along way. A slight tweak on the model, more towards the Easyjet version, and there is a greater chance the business might continue offering us cheap flights for some considerable time.

Not holding my breath though
latest report
Slightly off topic but I don't want to start a new thread on luggage(!) - does anyone have any experience of how Jet2 manage ski carriage? Having looked at there T&Cs there don't seem to specifiy only 1 pair of skis - just a limit of 20kg.

Having had to navigate their website which seems designed to catch you out and make you inadvertantly pay for inflight meals and there insurance etc. I just want to be careful...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy